General Admissions & OTCAS January or May start programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hannieOT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! So I have recently been rejected from all 7 of the schools I applied at :( I am finishing my bachelors in May and my prereqs in the beginning of summer. I would really like to reapply to schools for a January '18 start (or May '18.) I am considering reapplying to St Augustine at Florida and I am also considering Brenau. Does anyone know of any other programs with these start dates (somewhere preferably in the south?) As of May, my stats will be:

Cum GPA: 3.3
Prereq GPA: 3.2
Last 60 GPA: 3.6
GRE: 295 combined, 4 writing
Volunteer hours: 125 at 4 settings (early childhood, developmental disability peds, hospital, nursing home)

Anyone know a program where my stats would work?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that.

Texas Tech in Lubbock Texas starts in late May.

Reactions: 1 user
LSU- New Orleans Campus starts in January!

I was in the same position as you last year being rejected by all schools I applied to. I promise you it gets better the second time around. Spend this year (or half the year) just working on improving what you may lack (like shadowing hours, or retaking a class) and RELAX because you will be going to grad school and this is only time you really have to yourself before it gets crazy. Good luck this next year!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! So I have recently been rejected from all 7 of the schools I applied at :( I am finishing my bachelors in May and my prereqs in the beginning of summer. I would really like to reapply to schools for a January '18 start (or May '18.) I am considering reapplying to St Augustine at Florida and I am also considering Brenau. Does anyone know of any other programs with these start dates (somewhere preferably in the south?) As of May, my stats will be:

Volunteer hours: 125 at 4 settings (early childhood, developmental disability peds, hospital, nursing home)

I think Spaulding in Louisville KY starts in January, they have two start date options. Governors state university in a Chicago suburb starts in May (not in the south, I know).
If I were you I would spend time studying and retake the GRE. My OTCAS gpa was only a 3.41 but I had a competitive GRE score so that helped. I think you're okay to be less than competitive in one area, but it gets tough if you're lower in more than one area. Maybe also look into programs that look at the last 60 hours since yours are higher! I would keep observing, 125 hours is good but some schools have students with an average of over 200. You can't ever have enough- try a variety of settings. Contact the schools you applied to and ask what is weak in your application & what they would reccomend-most places are very helpful with this. Lastly, make sure you have a strong personal statement: I also think that really helped me! I'm sorry you've had a tough time this cycle, Best of luck next year and don't give up!

I was in the same position as you last year being rejected by all schools I applied to. I promise you it gets better the second time around. Spend this year (or half the year) just working on improving what you may lack (like shadowing hours, or retaking a class) and RELAX because you will be going to grad school and this is only time you really have to yourself before it gets crazy. Good luck this next year!!

Thank you so much!! I've never heard of LSU so I will look into it :) And it's nice to hear that I am not the only one that knows this feeling. Did you end up getting in somewhere or are you still working on your app?

I think Spaulding in Louisville KY starts in January, they have two start date options. Governors state university in a Chicago suburb starts in May (not in the south, I know).
If I were you I would spend time studying and retake the GRE. My OTCAS gpa was only a 3.41 but I had a competitive GRE score so that helped. I think you're okay to be less than competitive in one area, but it gets tough if you're lower in more than one area. Maybe also look into programs that look at the last 60 hours since yours are higher! I would keep observing, 125 hours is good but some schools have students with an average of over 200. You can't ever have enough- try a variety of settings. Contact the schools you applied to and ask what is weak in your application & what they would reccomend-most places are very helpful with this. Lastly, make sure you have a strong personal statement: I also think that really helped me! I'm sorry you've had a tough time this cycle, Best of luck next year and don't give up!

I have heard of Spalding so that might be a good one! Yeah I was wondering if it would be worth it to work on boosting up my GRE but that would be my least favorite thing to work on lol. Thank you for your help :)

Yes I got into NYU this year!! I am waitlisted at four different schools currently, and still waiting to hear from two more, but I am soo happy to just be accepted somewhere

Ithaca starts in June or May and Le Moyne starts June 1!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have heard of Spalding so that might be a good one! Yeah I was wondering if it would be worth it to work on boosting up my GRE but that would be my least favorite thing to work on lol. Thank you for your help :)
I really think it would help you a lot. Shoot for at least a 300! It was my least favorite thing to do as well but I think it paid off!!!

Yes I got into NYU this year!! I am waitlisted at four different schools currently, and still waiting to hear from two more, but I am soo happy to just be accepted somewhere

Wow congrats that is so awesome!! Glad it worked out the second time around!

University of Kansas Medical center (KUMC) has a May start!

Where did you appply ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied at Shenandoah, Jefferson College, AT Still, Midwestern Glendale, Tennessee State, St Augustine and Nova!
Now I'm nervous because I want to apply to Tennessee state and me stats are about the same minus the GRE that I haven't yet taken . did they say why ?

Now I'm nervous because I want to apply to Tennessee state and me stats are about the same minus the GRE that I haven't yet taken . did they say why ?

I didn't ask TSU but I asked St Augustine and they said they couldn't tell me why I was rejected or what I should work on :/ I know TSU gets a lot of applicants though because it's public and cheaper than others so everyone wants to go there!

Northeastern State University in Oklahoma starts in January. It is an accredited masters program. I know they take applications until July.

Also Mizzou in Missouri will be taking apps for the next cycle as well. I would look into them. They weren't taking any this year.

Hey, I just wanted to say don't feel down about being rejected just keep applying. This year was my 4th time applying to OT schools and I've finally been accepted. Look into LSU there program is pretty good. I know a few therapist who graduated from their program. Brenau is a bit pricey and look at their graduation rate, I think it's in the 80 percentile which isn't that great. Good luck! Just don't ever give up!

Hey, I just wanted to say don't feel down about being rejected just keep applying. This year was my 4th time applying to OT schools and I've finally been accepted. Look into LSU there program is pretty good. I know a few therapist who graduated from their program. Brenau is a bit pricey and look at their graduation rate, I think it's in the 80 percentile which isn't that great. Good luck! Just don't ever give up!

Thank you so so much!! Oh okay yeah good tip I'd rather wait a little than go to a school with a low grad rate. I will definitely look into LSU. Props to you for applying 4 times! Glad to see it works out in the end :)

Thank you so so much!! Oh okay yeah good tip I'd rather wait a little than go to a school with a low grad rate. I will definitely look into LSU. Props to you for applying 4 times! Glad to see it works out in the end :)
Thank you, and good luck! I'm sure you'll get in next time!

Any advice to applying and applying for the second time ?

Also Mizzou in Missouri will be taking apps for the next cycle as well. I would look into them. They weren't taking any this year.
I believe Mizzou didn't take applications this year because they are fully transitioning to a doctorate program. If you are interested in applying there, I would look into that to confirm!

Did you have any interviews for any of the schools you applied to if you don't mind me asking?

Lenoir-Rhyne in NC starts at the end of May! I was accepted there this year but chose WSSU instead! Good luck!