January away rotation - all IV invites are out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I currently have a rotation scheduled for January 2020. Its a bit of a stretch for me to afford it. I already informed the program coordinator that I will be a sub I in January, but no IV yet. And, I spoke with a friend today who told me all the IV invites are already sent, but there is a possibility for more if anyone cancels.I am really torn between going forward or canceling the rotation since I am really unsure how realistic expecting IV is at this point. Anyone have any advice? I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

If you cant afford it, don’t go.

Reactions: 1 users
If you cant afford it, don’t go.
Thanks for sharing! It's a bit of a stretch in that I will have to ask family to cover for the expenses. Just trying to decide if there really is hope for an IV.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing! It's a bit of a stretch in that I will have to ask family to cover for the expenses. Just trying to decide if there really is hope for an IV.

At that point, i’d say no. Even if you did, you were never at the top of their list and that never sits right with me

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone,
I currently have a rotation scheduled for January 2020. Its a bit of a stretch for me to afford it. I already informed the program coordinator that I will be a sub I in January, but no IV yet. And, I spoke with a friend today who told me all the IV invites are already sent, but there is a possibility for more if anyone cancels.I am really torn between going forward or canceling the rotation since I am really unsure how realistic expecting IV is at this point. Anyone have any advice? I would greatly appreciate it!

CANCEL THAT ****

Reactions: 1 user
CANCEL THAT ****

Haha, thanks for sharing. Yes, I cancelled a few days ago. Applied for an ICU rotation instead. I was just torn bc I sort of wanted to go here. Thanks so much for stopping by :)

I see you already cancelled, and I guess it depends on the field, but I have a friend who did an away in January where he had no invite. He got an invite while there, interviewed while there, and ended up matching there.

I see you already cancelled, and I guess it depends on the field, but I have a friend who did an away in January where he had no invite. He got an invite while there, interviewed while there, and ended up matching there.

Ah, wow, he must have done great on his rotation! Thanks for sharing.
I actually called the program coordinator, who told me they were finished with their process, and didn’t mention anything about having a waitlist. I feel that I may have gotten an interview if there was ever a waitlist, but I just can’t afford the rotation at the moment. My loans aren’t very generous.

However, I am trying to get a rotation at another hospital that is an hour away. Possible I land an interview here off a waitlist :) It will be an affordble scenario, plus they have taken students from my school before, so it just seemed like a better opportunity.