January 2014 Pcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

africanpharmd14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone;
I recently took the pcat in July 2013 an I got a VERY low score. My chemistry and math were the lowest. I am retaking it in January 2014 and I need some quick study tips.
Since I already took the exam once I already know what topics I need to improve on. But for those that got a good score, I am wondering which study books and materials got you through.
And I was wondering if I should purchase the sample tests that Pearson offers or not??
PLEASE any advice would be welcome
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I took mine last week, I got low score too..
I am retaking in January too.
I just purchased Dr. Collins. People here says that is the best one..I am regretting that I didn't get that earlier. o_O

Hope this helps.

by any chance would any know if the Jan pcat will be changed or anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone;
I recently took the pcat in July 2013 an I got a VERY low score. My chemistry and math were the lowest. I am retaking it in January 2014 and I need some quick study tips.
Since I already took the exam once I already know what topics I need to improve on. But for those that got a good score, I am wondering which study books and materials got you through.
And I was wondering if I should purchase the sample tests that Pearson offers or not??
PLEASE any advice would be welcome
Thank you

I got 99% composite, just took it today. It's been 10-13 years since I've taken chem, calculus, biology, etc., so I think my advice would be very helpful.

I took the Kaplan course but didn't find it helpful, it actually made me question my ability to do well on the exam. Plus I had lots of family issues during that time so I couldn't study. Then I started to read collins material instead and it helped a lot because it was more basic and direct, Kaplan was too much detail especially for someone who isn't familiar with the material (it became overwhelming and I was very frustrated). I went over the collins material two times, which helped give me background basic knowledge. I also used quizlet to study the top 100 gre and sat words. Any concept I couldn't understand I either googled or youtubes it. Then I read the Kaplan books and note cards, which became very easy as I didn't feel as overwhelmed. Then I reviewed collins again and one week before the exam I read over the Pearson review packet. That review packet was great because it had practice problems in it. Then I did each of the three Pearson tests two times. Then a day before the exam I went over all of collins chem and quant sections. I felt confident in the verbal and bio so didn't bother going over that material again. I didn't study for reading comprehension or essay. I knew it was a weak spot for me but it seemed like the sciences had more weight on the composite score so I focused on those.

Overall I felt like the combination of things I did help me understand the material better as I didn't remember anything from 10-13 years ago when I initially took the prereqs.

Hope that helps and gives you encouragement!

Pearson tests and review and collins materials were very helpful and I recommend buying it.

Does anyone know if dr Collins has a nov update? Retaking it in jan and would love the update!

I took the Pcat november 6 and got a low score as well. retaking in january. I know i need to work on reading comprehension, quantitative, and chemistry. I am applying to SUNY Buffalo, university of maryland eastern shore, university of the sciences and st. john fisher college.

The pearson practice tests help because the questions used are from old test and you can time yourself. Dr. Collins is helpful as well. I am selling dr collins if you are interested. The princeton review is helpful as well as the baron practice tests. Good luck

I got 99% composite, just took it today. It's been 10-13 years since I've taken chem, calculus, biology, etc., so I think my advice would be very helpful.

I took the Kaplan course but didn't find it helpful, it actually made me question my ability to do well on the exam. Plus I had lots of family issues during that time so I couldn't study. Then I started to read collins material instead and it helped a lot because it was more basic and direct, Kaplan was too much detail especially for someone who isn't familiar with the material (it became overwhelming and I was very frustrated). I went over the collins material two times, which helped give me background basic knowledge. I also used quizlet to study the top 100 gre and sat words. Any concept I couldn't understand I either googled or youtubes it. Then I read the Kaplan books and note cards, which became very easy as I didn't feel as overwhelmed. Then I reviewed collins again and one week before the exam I read over the Pearson review packet. That review packet was great because it had practice problems in it. Then I did each of the three Pearson tests two times. Then a day before the exam I went over all of collins chem and quant sections. I felt confident in the verbal and bio so didn't bother going over that material again. I didn't study for reading comprehension or essay. I knew it was a weak spot for me but it seemed like the sciences had more weight on the composite score so I focused on those.

Overall I felt like the combination of things I did help me understand the material better as I didn't remember anything from 10-13 years ago when I initially took the prereqs.

Hope that helps and gives you encouragement!

Pearson tests and review and collins materials were very helpful and I recommend buying it.

Did you feel like the Collin's Biology notes were a little bit TOO short or is it just me?

Dr. Collins bio is perhaps behind on most of the new content on the exam. The only thing would be to get recent updates and see if changes have been made. On my Nov. test...i was faced with lots of micro questions i had no clue about, but cud tell these were micro bio related. Lots of hard questions that you wouldn't prepare for with the old Dr. Collins material (cant speak for the new updates) coz all i had was up to the 2012 update.
Hope that helps.

Dear, Please write to [email protected] for any help.
As it's a new firm they will provide you online tuitions and training free of cost from the best faculty members. As wiziqs.com is a new establishment they will provide you many facilities. go to the News section of wiziqs.com

Soooooo, do u Janurary Test takers are ready yet????
and for those who are taking the exam today post ur scores pleaseeee

Members don't see this ad :)
Took it today and got an 84 composite. So happy, up from 72 on a previous attempt. No Dr. Collins needed at all, I really studied off of the Pearson practice tests. :) Scores for each section will be updated later as I'm mobile. :p

Took it today and got an 84 composite. So happy, up from 72 on a previous attempt. No Dr. Collins needed at all, I really studied off of the Pearson practice tests. :) Scores for each section will be updated later as I'm mobile. :p
Congratulations....Im doing some last minutes studying with the practice tests, and im scoring in the 70 range...just hope im ready for tomorrow...
What schools did u apply 2?

Congratulations....Im doing some last minutes studying with the practice tests, and im scoring in the 70 range...just hope im ready for tomorrow...
What schools did u apply 2?

I have some schools in California and some out of state like Minnesota or Austin. I busted my butt off right after the holidays, seven to eight hours a day, just drilling old concepts. I was getting 70s on the practice tests as well, but I really pulled through on the real thing. Best of luck with you! Relax, and I'm sure you got this! :)

I have some schools in California and some out of state like Minnesota or Austin. I busted my butt off right after the holidays, seven to eight hours a day, just drilling old concepts. I was getting 70s on the practice tests as well, but I really pulled through on the real thing. Best of luck with you! Relax, and I'm sure you got this! :)

Thanks
Do u think the chemistry on the practice test was similar to the chemistry on the real test?

Thanks
Do u think the chemistry on the practice test was similar to the chemistry on the real test?

Yeah, if not easier. I got a 93 with not a ton of conscious effort. :) Well, scratch that, knowledge really helps, but if you can apply a shortcut, then by all means do so.

I took my first pcat today! What a relief to be done with it. Can't decide if I want to look at my scores or not... I think I'd rather just wait until the official one is ready. I feel good about the test (it was just like the pearson practice tests I took) - I'm afraid if I see one low number I will worry, and there's no point in doing that now, my application is complete. Sure is tempting to look, though. Hmmm.

So! Official numbers. I'm no longer mobile. Anyways.

Composite: 84 :D

Verbal Ability 409/63 (not bad)
Biology 402/46 (oh dear God that section was really hard...):arghh:
Reading Comprehension 397/45 (nope, that section has always been ridiculous...) :hilarious:
Quantitative Ability 447/97 (YEAH BUDDY!) :happy:
Chemistry 438/93 (Oh damn, up from a 51 on last attempt! :highfive:)

I'm really sorry if my excess giddiness is showing, but I'm really damn happy with the way it turned out. My composite went up twelve percent, which is absolutely wonderful. I studied with the Kaplan books for a bit, but mostly used the Pearson Practice Exams and studied an old general biology/chemistry book on an accelerated schedule (seven to eight hours a day starting the day after Christmas! :hungover:)! If you guys are still going to be taking it tomorrow, good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine!

Comp: 398/ 40
VA: 382/18
BIO: 399/40
RC: 373/11
QA: 423/85
Chem: 415/72

First time taking it.. regret not purchasing the Pearson practice tests.
Thought i did pretty darn good in VA, Bio, and RC but i guess not lol
Before the exam i was worried most about QA but it came out to be my strongest.. very ironic

I'm not discouraged. Will get better in April

I'm taking it tomorrow and I'm doing some last minute studying? Were there many similarities from Dr. Collins/ and or the PCAT practice tests?

I'm taking it tomorrow and I'm doing some last minute studying? Were there many similarities from Dr. Collins/ and or the PCAT practice tests?

I've heard a mixed bag from the Dr. Collins books, but in all honesty you really don't need it. I scored perfectly fine without the booklet. I'd suggest knowing the fundaments of the material and then focusing on applying it in a timed instance. :) You should look at the Pearson Practice Tests!

Ok. What did you use to study? I used Dr. Collins mainly with a Kaplan book. I studied most of the analogies and concepts from Dr. Collins

Ok. What did you use to study? I used Dr. Collins mainly with a Kaplan book. I studied most of the analogies and concepts from Dr. Collins

Kaplan and the Pearson Practice Tests. I also had a really old general biology and chemistry book to quickly gloss up on concepts. :)

Could you guys elaborate on the Microbiology/Biochem material that was on there? I have the July 2012 version of Dr. Collins and I think its a bit outdated regarding these areas. If so, what did you guys study regarding these parts?

I'm wondering were words that were in Dr. Collins on there because that was my primary source that I used to study. I'm wondering if similar questions from Dr. Collins were on there

I'm wondering were words that were in Dr. Collins on there because that was my primary source that I used to study. I'm wondering if similar questions from Dr. Collins were on there
My only source to Verbal was the list of terms from Dr Collins. And as you can see from above my score was weak... however i didnt go through all the practice tests for verbals and i wasnt much of a reader. all i did was make flash cards for all the terms.
Look over all the practice test if i were u.. i should have done that

Comp: 398/ 40
VA: 382/18
BIO: 399/40
RC: 373/11
QA: 423/85
Chem: 415/72

First time taking it.. regret not purchasing the Pearson practice tests.
Thought i did pretty darn good in VA, Bio, and RC but i guess not lol
Before the exam i was worried most about QA but it came out to be my strongest.. very ironic

I'm not discouraged. Will get better in April
I noticed that your QA and Chem were high. Did you use Dr. Collins for those?

a quick question. If I need to add the schools to which the PCAT scores need to be sent to, is it better to add the schools now or after exam?How long will it take if I added the schools after the exam is over?

a quick question. If I need to add the schools to which the PCAT scores need to be sent to, is it better to add the schools now or after exam?How long will it take if I added the schools after the exam is over?
If the school is a Pharmcas participating school they will automatically get your scores once they receive your Pharmcas application I think.

Anyone that took the PCAT this morning/afternoon, care to share some insight on what you did not expect? Such as difficult topics that may not have been present on Dr. Collins/Kaplan books. I know a lot of people said to focus on genetics, micro, and biochem, I am just super nervous about the test tomorrow and I need the most information I can get.

Here's a tip. Get a good nights sleep and relax. It's too to change anything now.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone that took the PCAT this morning/afternoon, care to share some insight on what you did not expect? Such as difficult topics that may not have been present on Dr. Collins/Kaplan books. I know a lot of people said to focus on genetics, micro, and biochem, I am just super nervous about the test tomorrow and I need the most information I can get.

I took it this morning, these are my results.
Verbal- 52
Bio- 80
Reading Comp- 27 :(
Quant- 82
Chem- 93
Composite- 76

For me the hardest part was reading, oh god :( it was horrible!!!... The passages were too dam long and I was stuck between two answers in a lot of questions. I thought I was gonna get a 90+ in Biology, but it turns out I did not... (there was A LOT of biochemistry questions in both the biology and chemistry portions). I used Dr. Collins, which is good enough for Math/Bio/ Chem and little bit of verbal. I was doing really good in the reading part of Dr. Collins, but it was NOTHING compared to the real thing :'(

I took it this morning, these are my results.
Verbal- 52
Bio- 80
Reading Comp- 27 :(
Quant- 82
Chem- 93
Composite- 76

For me the hardest part was reading, oh god :( it was horrible!!!... The passages were too dam long and I was stuck between two answers in a lot of questions. I thought I was gonna get a 90+ in Biology, but it turns out I did not... (there was A LOT of biochemistry questions in both the biology and chemistry portions). I used Dr. Collins, which is good enough for Math/Bio/ Chem and little bit of verbal. I was doing really good in the reading part of Dr. Collins, but it was NOTHING compared to the real thing :'(
Since you used Dr. Collins did you see similar questions from the practice tests on the actual exam?

Since you used Dr. Collins did you see similar questions from the practice tests on the actual exam?
In verbal there was a few (4-5 at most). In biology there were a few that were similar to Dr. Collins (biochemistry within BIO was really difficult). Chemistry also had a few questions similar to Dr. Collins. Math had none for me lol.

In verbal there was a few (4-5 at most). In biology there were a few that were similar to Dr. Collins (biochemistry within BIO was really difficult). Chemistry also had a few questions similar to Dr. Collins. Math had none for me lol.
Were the concepts similar??

Were the concepts similar??

overall the actual PCAT went into a lot more detail about things (specially in Bio) but there were a lot of similar concepts :) Go watch a movie and try to relax (yes i know its hard, but its possible). Try to get your mind off the PCAT for today cause tomorrow thats all you will be doing lol.

Composite: 94
Verbal: 94
Biology: 74
Reading Comprehension: 90
Quantitative Ability: 91
Chemistry: 91

I honestly thought I bombed the QA since I literally guessed on at least 10 problems in the last 3 minutes. I still don't know if I'm going I'm going to apply this cycle since I kind of signed up for the PCAT on a whim and apparently a lot of deadlines have already passed.

Reactions: 1 user