JAMA: Should physicians recommend replacing opioids with cannabis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Should Physicians Recommend Replacing Opioids With Cannabis?

"The largest prospective study of cannabis as a substitute for opioids was a 4-year cohort study of 1514 patients with chronic pain who had been prescribed opioids. Cannabis use was associated with more subsequent pain, less self-efficacy for managing pain, and no reductions in prescribed opioid use. There was no substitution; rather, cannabis was simply added to the mix of addictive substances taken by patients with pain."

Members don't see this ad.

"The largest prospective study of cannabis as a substitute for opioids was a 4-year cohort study of 1514 patients with chronic pain who had been prescribed opioids. Cannabis use was associated with more subsequent pain, less self-efficacy for managing pain, and no reductions in prescribed opioid use. There was no substitution; rather, cannabis was simply added to the mix of addictive substances taken by patients with pain."
So, they didn't actually replace opioids with mj. They just added mj and crossed their fingers?

Shocker.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone want to come lecture at my statehouse about this as medical marijuana is expected to pass this year?

Have fun. Most obnoxious thing ever to pass in my state. And, the CBD........... Snake oil.

It’s all over the place in FL too....for $50 at any gas station you can buy cbd oil. And some of the users are little old ladies....my patients.