jaded yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

hightide

i work in an ED and i'm becoming more and more perturbed about the jadedness of my colleagues who've been working here for awhile. the juvenile smirking over the pts who have any complaint concerning their genitalia, mean comments to the ETOHs, disrespectful jokes while attending DNR deceased. i've been here for 2.5 years and i've seen the hard patient cases. i've been bewildered, scared, totally shocked, even almost fainted from gore. but i've never knowingly lost all shred of concern for a patient's welfare.
am i being naive? :confused:
or do i have to get more jaded to be a member of the ER team?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you need a different team.

We had a DNR the other day, who expired after <20 minutes in our trauma room. I was impressed and moved by the care and respect everyone showed. The docs took care to respect the pt's wishes. I was photocopying paperwork and heard the charge nurse call the family. The RN's working with me in the room took care to clean and prepare the body. Everyone was professional and caring. It really made me proud to work where I work.

And, since it took a year for me to have a pt death when I was the tech on the case, this was a nice discovery for me.

I'm saying, I don't think what you're describing is endemic to EM. Good luck.

hightide said:
i work in an ED and i'm becoming more and more perturbed about the jadedness of my colleagues who've been working here for awhile. the juvenile smirking over the pts who have any complaint concerning their genitalia, mean comments to the ETOHs, disrespectful jokes while attending DNR deceased. i've been here for 2.5 years and i've seen the hard patient cases. i've been bewildered, scared, totally shocked, even almost fainted from gore. but i've never knowingly lost all shred of concern for a patient's welfare.
am i being naive? :confused:
or do i have to get more jaded to be a member of the ER team?

This is how some people get when they are "burned out". Its sad, but I see it in the ER every week. Especially by Nurses, they get pimped a lot, get little repect (especially from patients) and they get burned out and mean sometimes.