Iwakuni

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since your plan is to go civilian, how easy has it been for you to apply/interview. Do you think your GMO experience has made you more competitive? Finally, as a flight surgeon is your tour two years plus training or three years plus training or are some two and some three?
thanks,
chillin

Members don't see this ad.

The application process was not too difficult - I had someone in my med school's office who has been great in communicating with me in a timely manner about what materials she's received, what she needed, etc. If I had been back in the states, it would have been no problem at all - from overseas, it just took some advance planning to account for all of the delays.

The interviewing circuit was a little nerve racking since I had to block all of my interviews within the 3wk period when I was going to be back in the states. Trying to get all of the programs to offer you spots during that period was tough but not impossible. I actually said in the last paragraph of my application's personal statement that if you wish to interview me I will only be available for the first 3 weeks of December - no earlier & no later. I wasn't sure about putting that in, but it all worked out well & I got the interviews I wanted. The blizzard in the Northeast almost wiped out my interviews - but you can't predict or plan for that.

I think a single tour out in the fleet prepares you well for going back into residency - anything more & I think your skills/knowledge start to wane from being away from academic medicine for so long. I've had nothing but favorable feedback from all of the ER folks that I've interviewed with - both regarding my application & other military folks who've come back to do their programs in the past.

The length of your tour will depend on a couple factors: which flight surgeon class you go into (summer/fall/winter), whether you go accompanied/unaccompanied, and whether you're going to a follow-on FS tour vs. going back to residency.

All accompanied tours are a base-line of 3yrs, while unaccompanied tours are 2yrs (with a couple of 1yr exceptions).

If you're going to follow your FS tour with another FS tour, you will leave at the scheduled end of your tour....if you arrived in April 2002, you'd leave in April 2004. If you're going into residency, they'll extend you at that command until it's time to PCS/separate for residency...arrive in April 2002, due to leave in April 2004, extended there until June 2004 when you leave for residency.

The class in which you start can effect how much you may have to extend in your FS billet. Summer class (July-Jan) will put you into your FS tour in Jan/Feb, so you might have to extend 5 months there to get back in cycle with residency. Fall class (Sep-Mar) puts you in FS billet in April (which is me), so I've extended a couple months. Winter class (Dec-May) will put you to your FS billet in May/June - no delay to get into cycle at the end of your tour.

Hope I answered some of your questions. Feel free to ask if anything else needs clarification

If your commitment is 3 years, can you get by with ending your tour early, or will you be committed to a three year tour plus training, etc which would add another year to your commitment. I ask this because I have a three year commitment.
Thanks,
chillin

Originally posted by chillin
If your commitment is 3 years, can you get by with ending your tour early, or will you be committed to a three year tour plus training, etc which would add another year to your commitment. I ask this because I have a three year commitment.
Thanks,
chillin

I also had a three-year commitment. Since internship does not count towards obligation nor payback, your period of payback begins the day after you graduate from internship. The 6-months spent training to be a FS or DMO/UMO do count as payback.

So to use myself as an example:

30Jun01 - Graduate internship
01July01 - Start payback
July-Aug01 - "Stash" GMO within the Ortho Dept.
Sep01 - Start FS training
Mar02 - Graduate FS
Apr02 - Report to 2yr FS tour (Iwakuni)
Apr04 - Projected rotation date
Apr-May04 - Extended in Iwakuni
May-Jun04 - Terminal leave
30June04 - Release from Active duty, 3yr payback complete!

If you are married & want to go on an accompanied tour, be aware that you are obligated to complete your full 3yr overseas tour, even if your end of obligated service falls before your end of tour...it's one of their tricky ways of getting more time out of you. To use my time line as an example: end of commitment would be 30Jun04, but end of accompanied tour would be Apr05 at which point you could separate. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be a rude suprise if you're not aware of it.

Hope that helps.