I've been in shock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CFibers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an undergrad senior. I was pre-med, then pre-dental, and I had the opportunity to shadow a podiatric physician and I really liked it. I was naturally interested. Both of my parents are MDs, and they think the podiatric field is unique and are very supportive of my decision as long as I'm happy... which I WAS until my friend told me to get on this page to look for more extra helpful information today about my coming interview.

I've been on SDN all day reading and I have been totally dissapointment about the comments, to the exception of many of them, which are highly mature, relevant and interesting.
But, Am I really getting into a profession where I have to consistenly defend myself? etc.. :scared:

Thank guys for any response.

Members don't see this ad.

CFibers said:
I am currently an undergrad senior. I was pre-med, then pre-dental, and I had the opportunity to shadow a podiatric physician and I really liked it. I was naturally interested. Both of my parents are MDs, and they think the podiatric field is unique and are very supportive of my decision as long as I'm happy... which I WAS until my friend told me to get on this page to look for more extra helpful information today about my coming interview.

I've been on SDN all day reading and I have been totally dissapointment about the comments, to the exception of many of them, which are highly mature, relevant and interesting.
But, Am I really getting into a profession where I have to consistenly defend myself? etc.. :scared:

I think that it depends on the situation. I guarantee that if you are seriously choosing podiatry that at least once in your life, someone will say "Why feet? I think feet are nasty." So yes, you will have to defend you decision in life. As for the maturity, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most mature person. I think that you have to be able to laugh at yourself, especially when you are in med school, or you'll go crazy. (I'm sure you parents would agree.) I would not let any comments made by a stranger 500 miles from you deter your decision. I pride myself on my choice to become a podiatrist. The profession is very rewarding. Some people are very bitter b/c you get what you give.

I promise that if you work hard, if your honest and sincere, and if you go into podiatry b/c you want to be a podiatrist and not a DO/MD flunky, you will be so happy w/ your decision that you'll laugh at us immature jerks that made you ask these questions. :D

Dr_Feelgood said:
I think that it depends on the situation. I guarantee that if you are seriously choosing podiatry that at least once in your life, someone will say "Why feet? I think feet are nasty." So yes, you will have to defend you decision in life. As for the maturity, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most mature person. I think that you have to be able to laugh at yourself, especially when you are in med school, or you'll go crazy. (I'm sure you parents would agree.) I would not let any comments made by a stranger 500 miles from you deter your decision. I pride myself on my choice to become a podiatrist. The profession is very rewarding. Some people are very bitter b/c you get what you give.

I promise that if you work hard, if your honest and sincere, and if you go into podiatry b/c you want to be a podiatrist and not a DO/MD flunky, you will be so happy w/ your decision that you'll laugh at us immature jerks that made you ask these questions. :D

Thanks. You are totally right. I am excited and proud about what I have chosen as a profession :D . It is just about how much effort you put into it with the primarily purpose to serve others through podiatric medicine and in doing your best and taking advantage of the training, etc. and yeahh I don't wanna be an MD/DO!!

Members don't see this ad :)
CFibers said:

You've got to understand that much of SDN consists of pre-med's and beginning med students that know absolutely nothing other than what they have seen on TV!!! Their delusions of grandeur quickly fade after starting or progressing through medicine. However, most of the problems (flame wars if you will) are started by them. Once everyone gets into hospitals and sees what everyone else does, these "biases" seem to fade.
In my program, we do the first few years with DO's and become good friends with many of them. I ran into one a while ago in the OR on a rotation. He was doing general surgery. While looking at the board, he was absolutely shocked. He had no idea that we did all the things we did. I'm sure he went away with a whole new respect for DPM's. And that is the way it goes.
Don't let these "premies" get you down. This is an awesome specialty.

It's all about what you make of it. I just went to my states meeting for podiatry and let me tell you, anyone that thinks that podiatry isn't legit grossly misunderstands our great, great profession. Plus, podiatry people know how to relax and have a good time. There were two radiologists (MD's) there and they both said that they never had as good of a time and learned as much as they did at this conference, I think that says it all personally. Plus Jonwill is right, once you get into the grunt of it later on, everybody has respect and recognizes everyone else's talents and abilities (mostly). Hope this helps, just my opinion.

jonwill said:
I ran into one a while ago in the OR on a rotation. He was doing general surgery. While looking at the board, he was absolutely shocked. He had no idea that we did all the things we did.

can you give some examples? thanks :)

nirvani said:
can you give some examples? thanks :)
Namely our surgical abilities. Some still have no idea of our extensive surgical training. I think that particular day, we had a partial amp, ORIF of an ankle fx, a fusion, and a flat foot reconstruction.

jonwill said:
You've got to understand that much of SDN consists of pre-med's and beginning med students that know absolutely nothing other than what they have seen on TV!!! Their delusions of grandeur quickly fade after starting or progressing through medicine.

So true, so true. :thumbup:

I am a resident at a major teaching institution, and I have not been required to defend podiatry once.....not once.

Don't get too worked up on much of the nonsense posted on SDN.