IUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything - first or second hand - abt IUHS on St. Kitts? It sounds like an excellent program...

Members don't see this ad.

IUHS is an excellent program.

I have a cousin who is a student there, and this is one new program that is being run with a progressive approach to medical education.

I love the fact that they are using a PBL approach to the curriculum.

Moreover, they are using the Saba approach of small class size that helps with clinical opportunities.

I would add this program to the list of Saba and AUC. You can get a quality education at this school.

Taylor DO thanks for your reply. I've appreciated your posts - they are balanced and generrous - and I appreciate your reply to this one. I've two questions for you: firstly, would it be possible for me to contact your cousin and email him abt IUHS? My email is "[email protected]". Secondly, what is your opinion on the whole IMG debate? I'm a pretty intelligent and hard-working person and am not overly concerned abt usmle etc, but are IMGs really that behind the 8-ball? I have moderate goals - family practice in an underserved area - are these reachable via a place like IUHS? Obviously, you don't know me so you can't answer definitively, but I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
jdm:
I really would like to hear your reasons for selecting IUHS over St Georges and AUC..
Good luck.. Andre

Andre - the reason is the PBL program they've got in place there. It seems to really be an actual reason to CHOOSE to go to a carrib school. I've read your posts before...what's you're opinion re: the feasibility of IMG and US practice?

jdm:
As long as you go to one of the few established Carib schools (StG or AUC) and you wish FP or IM, then I can literally guarantee you a residency if you pass the boards. Of course, if you have good MCAT and agree to be out of USA for 4-5 years, then Irish/Aussie schools are also excellent.
I sent my own darling wife to AUC.. today she is back to start Clinicals in USA. I have absolutely no doubt that soon she will be a wonderful FP.. in a small sleepy West Coast fishing village (last part is our dream)
I can not justify your interest in Problem Solving; taking a major risk of going to an UNKNOWN/UNPROVEN school.. I say you like Sherlock Holmes too much.
Follow the majority, go to AUC or St.G.
Good luck....

JDM,

I have no problem with you emailing my cousin, in fact, I believe he just became the school rep for another medical education web site called Medschool.com. I will have him email you ASAP.

Forget this garbage from Andre about IUHS not being an established program and being risky. He is throwing around this diatribe about his wife and AUC for quite some time.

Anyway, back to your original question. IUHS is a great program.

Just to set the record straight, I am a DO, who just happens to be an attending physician in an allopathic training program. The program is an Internal Medicine program in Pennsylvania. As associate residency director, I spend a great deal of time reviewing applications to our program. Here is some advice:

Take a look at Saba. Saba is also relatively new to the IMG scene. Right now they have established a quality program. They have placed graduates in surgery programs at Yale and Mayo. Yet, and please notice this, Andre failed to mention them. See the bias?

IUHS is run by Keith Waterhouse. He is a MD, who is one of the most respected urologists in this country. He is a accessible and will answer any questions you may have about his program, and their focus on PBL.

From my much more experinced point of view than Andre's I can offer this. To begin with, IMG's are considered outside of US graduates, that is no surprise to anyone. The next criteria involves board scores. I can not stress this enough.....IF YOU SCORE HIGH ON THE USMLE YOUR PROBLEMS WILL BE SOLVED. Your success in your quest for a residency will begin and end with your board scores. Pure and simple. The USMLE is the "all-great" equalizer. It compares your knowledge with students in the US schools as well as every other IMG looking for a training slot in the US. If you score high enough, I can promise you no one will question your school choice. When it comes down to it, a high score from IUHS will carry more weight than a very average score from AUC.

So the question now becomes, what value is the PBL? If you are a motivated, life-long learner, PBL will be your answer. I love it. It promotes a learning module based on a "systems" approach, which is more conducive to the clinical vigs seen on the USMLE.

The next topic you should consider is clinical experiences. In a school such as AUC or Ross, students are being bounced around for a majority of their core rotations. IUHS ans Saba work well because they have smaller class sizes, and a better opportunity to keep your clinical experiences together.

I will have my cousin email you pronto.

I am glad to see you are making a decision for yourself on this one, and you are looking for answers to your questions.

If you have any doubts, call Dr. Waterhouse himself (my cousin will give you the #)...

Best of luck!, and if you need any other questions answered feel free to email me....

Taylor

JDM + Taylor:
My first choice is StGeorges, followed closely by AUC. Last resort is SABA.
The first 2 (each) have around 3,000 Doctors already licensed and practising in USA.
Saba has several hundred.
This number for IUHS is a big (0) zero (zilch, nada)
You decide which one is riskier, and you should spend $150,000 for your MD.
JDM, are you that interested in becoming student # 030? maybe #040?
If you are that hooked on problem solving, then go to McMaster in Canada. They have PBL.
May God help you both.. you need it..

Andre,

Do you actually think you are qualified to offer a student advice on foreign medical schools?

You do not have the slightest clue what a program looks for in a resident.

Do you think when a program sits down to evaluate an IMG, there is that much of a difference between AUC, Ross and Spartan?

Do you challenge my assertion that it comes down to board scores? Have you convinced yourself that a student from AUC with average board scores has a stronger opportunity to match than an IUHS student with higher board scores? If you have, I suggest you actually call a program director and learn something.

Your experience is limited to your wife at AUC? Well, by all means that makes you an "expert"!!!

With Saba having such small class sizes, if you were to take the top 30 students @AUC and their respective placement in residency programs, Saba offers a much more impressive list of successful matches.
AUC cannot even compare with Saba's latest list of appointments.

IUHS has not produced any graduates, therefore your "numbers" game is obviously skewed. Saba faced this same dilemma just three years ago, today they can offer a placement percentage above 97% for those who have passed the boards.

I highly suggest before you offer a student such poor advice, You actually become a physician yourself, and serve as a faculty rep for a residency program. This way, you will at least know what you are talking about, to do otherwise makes you look foolish and uneducated.

I would hope anyone reading this thread realizes that you are neither a student or a physician, and that your "experience" is at best through another party.

Dr. Taylor,

although this is off the subject, I will take the oportunity to ask you a couple of questions, as associate residency director at an allopathic program:

- how do applications and acceptance of DO graduates compare, vis-a-vis MD graduates, in the allopathic programs you are familiar with?

- according to the students you had a chance to interview or evaluate, which DO schools offer the best training and clinical preparation?

UHS2002,

To answer the first of your questions (I will address the second in a moment)

1. Osteopathic graduates are very competitive in applying to allopathic programs. From your "Name", I assume you are part of the UHS-COM program in Kansas City. You have nothing to worry about. The Kansas City school produces strong graduates. Unrelated, Is Ed Friedlander still there? He is a fantastic teacher. Back to the topic at hand. I know of at least three UHSCOM graduates who sans an internship year matched into some very competitve programs in Pennsylvania. One young woman, matched into a EM program at the Geisinger Medical Center in Danville, PA, that is a most impressive appointment. That being said, those appointment were earned by very strong board scores, and very strong academic records.

I am not going to kid you, there are some aging allopathic physicians that still look down their slopped noses at osteopathic physicians. I have been "ribbed" more than once about cracking a back or two. Nonetheless, the barriers that did exist 20 years ago, are not as significant these days. There should be a collective thank you given to the DO"s who have come before us, and eliminated those obstacles.

There are still some allopathic residency directors that would still prefer a IMG over a DO, but those are now in the minority.

With a competitive allopathic residency, unfortunately it still comes down to numbers. If your board score is strong enough, you will earn yourself that interview for the slot you are looking for. Some of the people that post here, have actually convinced themselves that there is a difference among caribbean schools, when in fact I can tell you without hesitation that your board score will dictate which doors open for you.

The same applies for osteopathic graduates, without a strong academic record, your chances are reduced significantly.

As for schools which offer the best chance, I think you see from my above ramble that your record will be the distinguishing characteristic that will either earn you that interview in Derm or relegate you to only primary care choices.

Best of luck to you, and feel free to email me with any questions, I hope I have answered some of you questions.....

Taylor

Andre - do I mind being student #30 or 40? Sure, it gives one pause... But - several things: from all I hear TaylorDO is speaking truthfully and w/ authority, ie it is your score in those all important boards and PBL coupled w/ a small class size is an intensive and thorough way of learning. Granted, it's not for everyone as it probably goes lightly on the external pressures and standards most are accustomed to; but I have been learning this way my entire life and find I'm able to soak up knowledge like a youknowwhat by DOING. So, let's assume I soakitin and do well on the boards (I hope so!) and I'm student #27: I can strike one blow for revising the medschool curriculum (as an aside, does anyone really think that by adding a course in complementary med or ethics the educational experience for med students is really altered???), I can be a part of the beginning of something good, and I can be sure that I've chosen to pursue a rigorous medical education consonant w/ my own beliefs. I neither have all the answers (just check my last orgo test!) nor was born yesterday, and I am aware enough to understand how knowledge arises... I appreciate what IUHS is doing.

Your wife sounds as if she's done the best thing for herself and it's good you are so proud of her. Keep in mind, I'm not aiming for chief of neurosurgery at Stanford....

TaylorDO: I haven't heard from your cousin and am eager to. How is it you are interested enough to post so apropos on this site? Your work as a residency director?

JDM,

My interest in caribbean (and other international schools) has given me the motivation to write a book on the IMG scene. Currently the book is in the early stages, and I use these forums to gather information, and research.

Additionally, my program gets a significant number of IMG applications, and I believe it to be my responsibility to learn as much as possible about the schools that are producing these graduates.

Best wishes to you on this quest

Taylor

Dr. Taylor

thanks for the reply
smile.gif

Yes, ERF is still at UHS and still licking ashtrays, LOL. And every second year class loves him!
Oh, I almost forgot...his final slides are still pretty impossible to figure out
wink.gif

I was also looking for info about IUHS and I was wondering if you have received any feedback from people that have went to school there. Thanks