IUHS/St.Kitts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hvitgris

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Information of any type about either the island or the school is well appreciated.
Furthermore, any comments about PBL, seems like schools up here in Canada are leaning that way.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted to IUHS for Jan 2001 and just returned from visiting 2 weeks ago.The faculty were very friendly and answered all of my questions and the students seemed satisfied with the school thus far.However,they had been there only 4 weeks. The island was, ofcourse, beautiful, and the people seemed friendly. I only had 2 days there but much was accomplished. If you are seriously considering this school ,I would recommend visiting first to know what to expect.

Did you find out any info about USMLE pass rates and clinical placements?
Did anything about the school or island not impress you?
I've been to Dominica, Grenada, and Saba but not to St. Kitts and most likely will not be able to find time to travel back to the caribbean again. I am not too concerned about living conditions or adapting to the island and the people but rather more on the quality of education I will be receiving. Right now I like Saba and St. Kitts. I am just looking for info that will tip the scale in one direction or the other.

Any input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
hvitgris,

There is no information on USMLE pass rates/
clinical placements at IUHS, because the school is new and the first class has not finished the basic sciences.The only thing I was not impressed with was that there were not any student services in place,such as; recreational facilities, onsite labs, no school provided transportation,etc.The main reason I am considering IUHS is because of the Problem Based Learning Curriculum that is used.I also have the same delimma in choosing between Medical University of the Americas, which is Saba's new affiliate on Nevis, and IUHS.The tuition is less at MUA and they provide housing and brand new facilities, including swimming pool, tennis and basketball courts, student transpostation between dorms and campus...etc.Although MUA as well as, Saba do not have problem based learning.If problem based learning is not that important to you I would lean more towards Saba. I am still trying to sort things out myself. I hope this helps some. mjoll

Looks like I am heading to St.Kitts. After speaking with some doctors and professors about PBL I think it is the way to go for me. So if you decide to go to IUHS, I will see you in January.

hvitgris,

Please keep us all informed of your impressions and experiences at this school.

Thank you and best wishes.

It seems that many of you are missing the BIG PICTURE in the domestic vs FMG's.
The general public is becoming more aware of their Physicians qualifications (or lack of).
Most state licensing agencies have some type of public information so you can find out where the doc attended medical school and it is common knowledge (to the general public) that diplomas can be PURCHASED, NOT EARNED from certain medical schools. (Ross, Saba, St. George). I would NEVER see a doctor who "graduated" from one of these schools. In fact, I refused to let a vet see my dog who was a graduate of Ross.

All of this along with the fact that you must get your ECFMG certificate and states have different licensing requirements for FMG's (more residency training). You are not saving any money at all, in the long run it will cost you more!!!

The bigger picture is that many IMGs are just as competent of physicians as are their US counterparts, and in some respects excel often them. Granted, there are also IMGs who are less competent than them.

Even so, to broadbrush a whole class of individuals on the basis of some less competent ones in their class is not only erroneous in logic and communication, but irresponsible and a displaying of what in reality is largely fickle bias apart from knowledge.

The assertion that SGU, Ross, and Saba sell diplomas has at this point absolutely no basis whatsoever in fact. I know of not one official contention in this count of a graduate of one of those schools not making it honestly through the curriculum there amidst much hard work--in some cases, with actually more hard work and perserverance than at a U.S. school.

~10 years ago there were three schools that more or less were diploma mills in the Dominican Republic who were shut down by CONES, the educational authority there. And only a very small figure of people who were already PAs, DPMs and the like were able to make passage of the USMLEs after getting advanced standing from them on the basis of former coursework at PA or DPM school. Which brings me to another point.

How can the assertion be made, more or less, that IMGs are not even worthy to be seen when each one has had to pass the exact same tests that any US medical graduate has had to pass, the USMLEs. Granted, these are only tests, but they are nonetheless whoppers as tests go. So those IMGs who do not make it honestly through a real medical curriculum have a BIG problem awaiting them the USMLEs. And how can one make passage of these without true knowledge of the subject matter?

Juan,

Although your dog graduated from Ross, that is very impressive nonetheless!

Nice response, Stephen. I was angered by the gross ignorance of Juan's statement and was compelled to reply. I couldn't, however, have said it better. Bravo.

Christopher