ITCT implementation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyduckies

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I am curious if anyone knows any info about ITCT and just the general feelings people get about it? I’ve read the research on it and understand the general principles. Where I went to internship used to teach interns it (along with PCIT and TF CBT) but the supervisor who was certified left the agency. However, I don’t really ever hear about it (especially in comparison to PCIT and TF CBT). I know EMDR has feelings towards it (to put it politely) and was curious if ITCT has similar feelings which is why it isn’t used or if it just hasn’t been marketed as well and is newer.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I’ll be honest in that I had to Google it because I had never heard of ICTC before, so I can’t speak much to this particular therapy. However, I would caution you to review the research on the idea of “complex trauma” in general, as the research is pretty weak in showing a distinction between “complex trauma” and regular trauma (as defined by the DSM PTSD criteria).

Reactions: 1 user
It's a silly idea, that is based upon the nouveau idea that everything is "trauma", and "trauma" can be anything.

If a patient is having symptoms because they saw someone macheted to death at 12, it may be related to the trauma. If a patient is having symptoms because they were embarrassed in the 5th grade, it's probably some personality factors at play.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you both! When I was first looking into it felt very reminiscent of traits we would see in kiddos associated with BPD that would be typically have DBT thrown their way. If I had to give it a best throw at what two treatments it combines it would DBT and TF CBT it seems (at least from the online source material I briefly looked at.) I definitely don’t love the current wave of everything is trauma in my generation (no- ripping your pants in the hallway at junior high is not the same as witnessing an attempted murder) and can see how this could contribute to it. Appreciate the thoughts as always