it seems very difficult to get a summer internship as a PreMed. What do y'all do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOAPsucks222

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Being a natural science major like most pre-meds, I've found difficulty landing a summer internship. I'm broke and back at home for the summer, and my #1 goal for these coming months is to save as much money as possible. I've had an interview as a lab technician and I didn't get the job. Got an offer to work as a scribe like 50 miles from my home (way too far), so i won't be taking that. Just FYI, i have experience as an MA and a Scribe, but I'm looking to try something new this time around.

What kind of jobs do you recommend for a summer back at home? I live in a suburb of Dallas.

Members don't see this ad.

Being a natural science major like most pre-meds, I've found difficulty landing a summer internship. I'm broke and back at home for the summer, and my #1 goal for these coming months is to save as much money as possible. I've had an interview as a lab technician and I didn't get the job. Got an offer to work as a scribe like 50 miles from my home (way too far), so i won't be taking that. Just FYI, i have experience as an MA and a Scribe, but I'm looking to try something new this time around.

What kind of jobs do you recommend for a summer back at home? I live in a suburb of Dallas.

Try just emailing PIs near you if you're willing to work in lab for free for a summer. I manage a lab and we've had a few summer people come and they just emailed my PI saying they like the research were doing and end up working here for the summer. I don't think people will decline free labor! One summer during college I drove 45 min each way to work in an ivy lab for free- I actually paid since I had to pay to park haha.

I would email some PIs at UT southwestern if you actually want to pursue research, just find some labs you're interested in- feel free to PM me if you need help figuring out how to word it etc

Try just emailing PIs near you if you're willing to work in lab for free for a summer. I manage a lab and we've had a few summer people come and they just emailed my PI saying they like the research were doing and end up working here for the summer. I don't think people will decline free labor! One summer during college I drove 45 min each way to work in an ivy lab for free- I actually paid since I had to pay to park haha.

I would email some PIs at UT southwestern if you actually want to pursue research, just find some labs you're interested in- feel free to PM me if you need help figuring out how to word it etc

I think the goal is for them to save money lol so they probably don't wanna work for free... On that note though starting off for free might evolve into something paid. That's what happened with me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing something truly unique I think will be of most benefit for your application. Spend time serving your local community/teaching opportunities (which can be paid positions). Or you can find ways to get yourself grant-funded through research.

It’s too late for this summer, but I did an REU through Harvard (a few other schools have them too). Pays quite well ($5000 for two months worth of work), they give a stipend for travel and put you up in the dorms. I live local, so I actually got hired on part time by my PI during the school year.