It may be Silly, but Now I Need to Vent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medic170

American Infidel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:( I just need to vent...I have to say, I am very disappointed lately at the attitudes that some sdn'ers have been throwing my way. I can be opinionated, but I try to present fair and balanced arguments when I express my opinion, while respecting the opinion of those with whom I disagree. I have been getting flamed a lot both publicly and through PM's for expressing my opinions about marijuana use, especially by medical students and physicians. Am I really the only one who thinks it is wrong to use illegal drugs? Worse, am I the only one who gets flamed, called names, gets nasty PM's, and is the recipient of general immaturity because of my views?

You people know who you are. You don't have to agree with me, but can you please have the maturity and respect to not call me, and others, names and the like? Honestly, you are making me want to shy away from SDN. Now, I know this is just an anonymous forum, and I do not take things as seriously as I may seem to be, but these are real people responding on this board, and I am just perplexed at how, rather than intelligently and logically furthering your point of view, you just tell people like me to get the stick out of our ass, call us tightwads, tell us to grow a sac and be less sensitive, telling me I need to toke up on a bowl so I can chill out, etc. Like me not smoking pot is a bad thing :confused:

I am just feeling like a minority in that I obey the law and don't use illegal substances, and worse, I get flamed for doing the "right" thing and professing it on these boards. It is one thing to have an opinion that illegal drugs should be legal and are safe, but it is rediculous to make fun of people like me because we feel it is wrong to break the law and use drugs.

I have been a member of sdn since I started this journey to medicine 4.5 years ago, and I have to say, it seems like the company here has become more and more polluted with insensitive and immature individuls, and you are driving away those of us who enjoy the professionalism and information that once dominated these boards, and sharing our experience to help others.

I don't know what the purpose of this is, I guess I am just disappointed lately at the way people have been acting on some of these threads. I thought about just stopping myself from visiting anymore, but SDN has helped me get into med school, and I feel like I sort of owe something to helping others the same way I was helped. I thought I had a lot to offer the newbies on sdn, but I am thinking maybe I am just too different than today's youth in my "prissy" opinions to be of any help. I have found myself reacting to these people in a negative way too, sometimes regressing in my own maturity to their level, and I am disappointed in myself for that. In fact, want to apologize for it. I am between undergrad and med school now, which leaves me with precious extra time to waste, so I find myslef on these boards more than I should be anyway. Ok, venting over.......nobody needs to reply to this, I just wanted to write and get the frustration off my chest...I feel kind of silly for even writing all this and being upset over a stupid anonymous message board, so this is the last time I will be a geek like this and let it happen :D

I know I am stupid for getting upset, I am letting it go now and toning down (a lot) how serious I take things. I forget sometimes that these boards are NOT indicative of why my med student colleugues will be like, and I get disappointed when I think I will be spending the rest of my life in a profession with people like that. Just had to vent one time so I can start over ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't let it get to you. There seems to be a lot of people on here who just go trolling and flaming for ****s and giggles.

Also, I'm with you on the not smoking pot thing. If it was legal, I'd probably try it. However, it is not and I am a law abiding citizen (except for my usual speeding about 5-10 miles over the limit). I've been offered pot in many different social situations (parties, liberal-hippie gatherings, etc) and never felt the inclination to try it. I've also never tried smoking cigarettes either...

medic170, you haven't even matriculated yet, cut out the sanctiomonous crap. I can only picture you as a white-wigged 18th century english parlamentarian barking your orders about government and the kingdom.

once again your mouth has gotten you into trouble because of your illogical rhetoric and desire to force your beliefs onto others. people smoking weed doesn't affect you. no, don't try and think about it, it doesn't affect you. unless you are a police officer, it is not your job to worry about these folks breaking the law. again, i know you THINK you are the moral-police and "regulator of all that is just and fair," but these titles are self-designated and self-professed.

Please do us all a favor and refrain from posting anymore. I don't want to hear anymore of your opinions, either, until after you have an official MS1 after your name. This is the "allopathic" forum. Let the grown-ups to chat amongts themselves, while you entertain yourself among the rest of the pre-allopaths.

-B

Members don't see this ad :)
typeB-md said:
medic170, you haven't even matriculated yet, cut out the sanctiomonous crap. I can only picture you as a white-wigged 18th century english parlamentarian barking your orders about government and the kingdom.

once again your mouth has gotten you into trouble because of your illogical rhetoric and desire to force your beliefs onto others. people smoking weed doesn't affect you. no, don't try and think about it, it doesn't affect you. unless you are a police officer, it is not your job to worry about these folks breaking the law. again, i know you THINK you are the moral-police and "regulator of all that is just and fair," but these titles are self-designated and self-professed.

Please do us all a favor and refrain from posting anymore. I don't want to hear anymore of your opinions, either, until after you have an official MS1 after your name. This is the "allopathic" forum. Let the grown-ups to chat amongts themselves, while you entertain yourself among the rest of the pre-allopaths.

-B

Why are you such a mean and angry person?

typeB-md said:

-B

:laugh:

typeB-md said:

-B

My post was not about smoking weed, it was about how rude and closed minded you people are. The weed subject is just the most recent example I thought of to cite. You expect me to be open minded about a subject(which i am), yet, look what you do to me for expressing my opinion, just because it is different than yours. In fact, in your kill the babies thread, I cought you in a lie red handed, a lie you told at MY expense, and you still were not man enough to admit it!! (editing your own post after I quoted it to make it look like I misquoted you).

As far as forcing my moral opinions like a moral policeman, I never judged anyone, I try not to ever do that, I just told you what I think as you told me what you think. You, it seems, have judged me though, unfairly and incorrectly I think(white wigged etc.). I just wanted to tell you that I do not appreciate the "grown ups"comment most of all. Is there some great epiphany of knowledge that will be bestowed upon me between now and August when I am an "official" MS1? I have seen life, death, saved lives, lost lives, and dealt with moral and ethical issues in medicine first hand. Does my life and medical experience not qualify me to speak any more than the experience of a 23 year old MS1 just out of undergrad? When exactly would I be allowed to post in the Allopathic forum, after the White Coat ceremony, after day 1???? I guess I assumed that after all the hard work I did to earn an acceptance to medical school, and since I graduted from undergrad, I was no longer really a pre-med....med school just does not start until August. I still post in pre-allo to help pre-med students with the process, but since I am no longer an applicant, and I am accepted to medical school, I really don't have any questions about the application process etc. so I felt more appropriate posting my stuff in Allo...sorry if I offended some "matriculated" students, I did not mean to.

True, I do not start actual medical school until August, but I am much older(and dare I say, considering your actions, wiser) than you and my 8 years in EMS, family practice, and urgent care surely shadows your tidbit of medical school experien .......you know what, forget it, I don't want to argue over this stupidity, if you people want me to leave and quit posting, I will. I don't need nor want to subject myself to this illogical and undeserved ridicule on an anonymous message board. I just pray my future colleagues will be different....more friendly, smarter, open to discussion, and more mature. Cheers :D Ok, I'll stop posting here now.

criminallyinane said:
Why are you such a mean and angry person?

I'm not mean, nor am I angry. I am putting things into simple terms so that others can understand. This is the allopathic forum for a reason... pre-allopaths need not give their opinion on the matters stated within.

As far as medic him/herself is concerned, there is a reason for the flaming. This individual feels the need to (incorrectly i might add) give his/her opinion as 'de facto' on every matter discussed. It, by itself, is an obnoxious mentalitly, however, it is made even more laughable by the fact that these idiotic ideas, expressions, concerns, etc. are from an omnipotent pre-allopath.

medic170 said:
My post was not about smoking weed, it was about how rude and closed minded you people are. The weed subject is just the most recent example I thought of to cite. You expect me to be open minded about a subject(which i am), yet, look what you do to me for expressing my opinion, just because it is different than yours. I just wanted to tell you that I do not appreciate the "grown ups"comment most of all. True, i do not start actual medical school until August, but I am much older(and dare I say wiser) than you and my 8 years in EMS, family practice, and urgent care surely shadows your tidbit of medical school experien .......you know what, forget it, I don't want to argue over this stupidity, if you people want to to leave and quit posting, I will. I don't need to subject myself to this illogical and undeserved ridicule on an anonymous message board. I just pray my future colleugues will be different....more friendly, smarter, open to discussion, and more mature. Cheers :D
dude, don't leave us. anyone with the balls to quote ronald reagan in their signature on a board full of college-aged liberals needs to stick around. ;) :thumbup:

typeB-md said:

-B

Whatever happened to that little "report this post" button that used to be on every post? :thumbdown:

typeB-md said:
I'm not mean, nor am I angry. I am putting things into simple terms so that others can understand. This is the allopathic forum for a reason... pre-allopaths need not give their opinion on the matters stated within.

As far as medic him/herself is concerned, there is a reason for the flaming. This individual feels the need to (incorrectly i might add) give his/her opinion as 'de facto' on every matter discussed. It, by itself, is an obnoxious mentalitly, however, it is made even more laughable by the fact that these idiotic ideas, expressions, concerns, etc. are from an omnipotent pre-allopath.
speaking of "obnoxious mentalities", what is so invalid about the opinion of someone who isn't in medical school that becomes valid when one enters medical school?

Samoa said:
Whatever happened to that little "report this post" button that used to be on every post? :thumbdown:
its still the little red and white triangle in the bottom left area of the post box (under your username).

medic170 said:
My post was not about smoking weed, it was about how rude and closed minded you people are. The weed subject is just the most recent example I thought of to cite. You expect me to be open minded about a subject(which i am), yet, look what you do to me for expressing my opinion, just because it is different than yours. I just wanted to tell you that I am not appreciate by "grown ups" most of all. True, i do not start actual medical school until August, but I am much older not necessarily wiser) than you and my 8 years in insert pre-allopathic, nonspecific events surely shadows your tidbit of medical school experien .......you know what, forget it, I don't know how to argue effectively over this seemingly useful information, if you people want to to leave and quit posting, I will. I don't need to subject others to my illogical and undeserved off-base opinions on an anonymous message board. I just pray my future colleugues will be tolerant of stupidity. (Insert salutation) :D

i edited your post in order to reflect your subconscious.

superdevil said:
speaking of "obnoxious mentalities", what is so invalid about the opinion of someone who isn't in medical school that becomes valid when one enters medical school?

what is the differnce b/w pre-allopath forum and allopath forum?

Members don't see this ad :)
Samoa said:

it's right in between the "i am a supersensitive introvert" and "i was always picked last in school sports"... hope it finds you well.

typeB-md said:
what is the differnce b/w pre-allopath forum and allopath forum?
pre-allo typically pertains to issues of getting into med school, while allo typically pertains to med school itself. pre-allos are still allowed to post here and vice versa. what's the big deal?

superdevil said:
pre-allo typically pertains to issues of getting into med school, while allo typically pertains to med school itself. pre-allos are still allowed to post here and vice versa. what's the big deal?

from the main page:
Allopathic - "MD student topics. For current medical students."

someone will probably call me a jerk or something... but is it my fault that i am hypercognizant of the laws and regulations of my environment? don't get mad at me, get mad at Big Brother SDN for holding the pre-allopaths down.

medic170 said:
Like me not smoking pot is a bad thing :confused:

For most people, not smoking pot is probably a good idea. For you, it may be just what the doctor ordered.

typeB-md said:

-B

correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't you an M1 straight out of college? I hardly think that makes you a "grown-up." Get over yourself. I don't think your ideas are always wrong, but the way your present them and make yourself look like a total a$$ is.

All forums are open to all users, regardless of status and regardless of what the Main Forum page says. This forum is geared toward current allopathic students but anyone is free to read and/or post here.

typeB-md said:
...is it my fault that i am hypercognizant of the laws and regulations of my environment?
Whoops! Better bite your tongue...this is exactly the argument medic170 is making about illegal marijuana use, no?

For the record, I'm with medic170. The way to deal with laws we disagree with is not to simply ignore them and hope to not get caught. Become an activist! Go to rallies for legalization! If you want to participate in civil disobedience (an acceptable reason for law-breaking activity in my mind) then go light up on the capitol steps or something.

typeB-md said:
from the main page:

someone will probably call me a jerk or something... but is it my fault that i am hypercognizant of the laws and regulations of my environment? don't get mad at me, get mad at Big Brother SDN for holding the pre-allopaths down.

Yeah, i think you are a jerk. But people seem to think the same of me sometimes. I do find the hypcorisy of your argument about following the rules hilarious, though. classic.

Anyway, I started reading through allo once I got accepted, and spend more time on here now than pre-allo. You can see the change there anyway, with more threads about the upcoming 2006 cycle than the soon to be complete 2005 cycle.

Just relax, I promise we won't ruin your prisitine allo forum.

chopper said:
Anyway, I started reading through allo once I got accepted, and spend more time on here now than pre-allo.

Yeah, a lot of us who are starting med school in august have been lurking in the allo forum. And I don't see why we shouldn't. We're all done with the process and have no use for pre-allo anymore.

tinkerbelle said:
Yeah, a lot of us who are starting med school in august have been lurking in the allo forum. And I don't see why we shouldn't. We're all done with the process and have no use for pre-allo anymore.
I've been claiming MS0 status.

typeB-md said:
people smoking weed doesn't affect you. no, don't try and think about it, it doesn't affect you.

Neither does genocide in the Sudan, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't have an opinion about it. People who smoke pot are pathetic. Anyone who resorts to the use of illicit substances to make himself/herself feel better is deserving of our pity. Don't flame typeB-md for being a pothead; express your empathy towards him. It is a sad occurence when someone's life is so unfulfilling that he must extract an artificial high from the abuse of illegal drugs.

chopper said:
Just relax, I promise we won't ruin your prisitine allo forum.

Please, the allo forum is far from "pristine."

chopper said:
I do find the hypcorisy of your argument about following the rules hilarious, though.

I agree. Looks like a classic case of the pothead calling the kettle black.

DrOctopus said:
Please, the allo forum is far from "pristine."

I know. It was a sarcastic comment.

typeB-md said:
from the main page:

I won't call you a jerk but I it does make me laugh that someone who gets angry about someone else pointing out the illegality of marijuana use is now getting made at someone for breaking "online" rules that aren't even "real" laws... :laugh:

OmahaMX80 said:
I won't call you a jerk but I it does make me laugh that someone who gets angry about someone else pointing out the illegality of marijuana use is now getting made at someone for breaking "online" rules that aren't even "real" laws... :laugh:

you see, you children are once again blinded by your own ignorance.

there is only one situation in which we are able to express our concerns as facts. first there must be a law or regulation. next there must be some type of influence on the individual.

pre-allopaths posting in the allopath forum AFFECTS me because most of the time these individuals have wrong ideas and waste my time. Not only that, but there is a regulation in place barring them from this forum.

Now, if we look at the weed argument, even though there is a law, this doesn't affect him. So since he is not a police officer his opinion on the matter is moot.

Kimberli Cox said:
All forums are open to all users, regardless of status and regardless of what the Main Forum page says. This forum is geared toward current allopathic students but anyone is free to read and/or post here.

so then the TOS don't apply either?

pillowhead said:
correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't you an M1 straight out of college? I hardly think that makes you a "grown-up." Get over yourself. I don't think your ideas are always wrong, but the way your present them and make yourself look like a total a$$ is.

if you would like to challenge me to a debate, i would be willing.

typeB-md said:

there is only one situation in which we are able to express our concerns as facts. first there must be a law or regulation. next there must be some type of influence on the individual.

The only individual "under the influence" here is you. :laugh:

typeB-md said:
if you would like to challenge me to a debate, i would be willing.

My money's on pillowhead. You'll lose that debate, and further humiliate yourself in the process.

typeB-md said:

you're funny

pre-allopaths posting in the allopath forum AFFECTS me because most of the time these individuals have wrong ideas and waste my time.

I don't think your one year of med school makes you much smarter than the rest of us. Just because you don't agree with our ideas, doesn't make them wrong or a waste of time.

tinkerbelle said:
you're funny

I don't think your one year of med school makes you much smarter than the rest of us. Just because you don't agree with our ideas, doesn't make them wrong or a waste of time.

you're right, just because i don't agree with your ideas doesn't make them wrong. what makes them wrong is the fact that they are dumb and illogical. compound this with the fact that you aren't even in medical school, and you have not only a wrong post, but a post that actually detracts from other, more legitimate posts.

and it's not only my one year of medical school. it is the fact that i am very cultured and have visited more than 50% of the globe by geography. i speak 4 languages, while most only speak 1. i bench press more than twice my body weight and i squat a clean 500lbs. i have less than 8% body fat on a bad day. i scored 1580 on my SATs, perfect verbal, 780 math. my MCAT was a 39, 13V, 14P, 13B and i was out partying the night before. I will most likely score above 270 on step 1 without significant amount of extra studying. i have a photographic memory and can recall facts years down the road despite only having seen it once, and only for a few seconds. i have even memorized several movies without meaning to.

the fact of the matter is that i am probably much smarter than 99% of people and probably more athletic than 98% of people. i am as close to the supreme being as is humanly possible and i'm not even joking. i have won national debate titles and solved several lower level theorems. i won the French national chess tournament as well as started on champion national under 15 soccer league. i also hold several records for bulgarian weight lifting.

because of this, i CAN in fact declare most of your ideas as incompetent. I will even travel to meet someone to debate if you pay for my expense of sdn.net can raise the money. Just don't be surprised when i cite resources mentioned from last years January 15th JAMA.

typeB-md said:
you're right, just because i don't agree with your ideas doesn't make them wrong. what makes them wrong is the fact that they are dumb and illogical. compound this with the fact that you aren't even in medical school, and you have not only a wrong post, but a post that actually detracts from other, more legitimate posts.

and it's not only my one year of medical school. it is the fact that i am very cultured and have visited more than 50% of the globe by geography. i speak 4 languages, while most only speak 1. i bench press more than twice my body weight and i squat a clean 500lbs. i have less than 8% body fat on a bad day. i scored 1580 on my SATs, perfect verbal, 780 math. my MCAT was a 39, 13V, 14P, 13B and i was out partying the night before. I will most likely score above 270 on step 1 without significant amount of extra studying. i have a photographic memory and can recall facts years down the road despite only having seen it once, and only for a few seconds. i have even memorized several movies without meaning to.

the fact of the matter is that i am probably much smarter than 99% of people and probably more athletic than 98% of people. i am as close to the supreme being as is humanly possible and i'm not even joking. i have won national debate titles and solved several lower level theorems. i won the French national chess tournament as well as started on champion national under 15 soccer league. i also hold several records for bulgarian weight lifting.

because of this, i CAN in fact declare most of your ideas as incompetent. I will even travel to meet someone to debate if you pay for my expense of sdn.net can raise the money. Just don't be surprised when i cite resources mentioned from last years January 15th JAMA.
excellent post. except for the bulgarian weightlifting bit; everyone knows that's easy.

typeB-md said:
Just don't be surprised when i cite resources mentioned from last years January 15th JAMA.

Then we'd have proof (once again) that you are full of it. Last January 15th was a Thursday, and JAMA is released every Wednesday; the issue was January 14th, 2004. Time to have that bulb in your photographic memory changed... :)

Ok, for the record, pre-allo students are welcome to post in this forum. This is not just for current allopathic students, but for TOPICS that pertain to allopathic school. Anyone is free to post here as long as the thread applies to med school. I'm pretty lenient in what I let slide in this forum because I figure most irrevelant threads die soon anyway. But this thread is really irritating me. Please stop any personal attacks and let the thread die or I will close it.

Thanks!

Have you memorized narcissistic personality disorder in the DSM IV? Aren't you the same guy that was complaining about gunners in another thread?

typeB-md said:
Not only that, but there is a regulation in place barring them from this forum.

Hmmm? Where might that be? While the Allopathic forum is designed for current allopathic students, there is no regulation barring anyone not fitting that description from reading or posting here. The notation on the main page is used to guide the users, and in no way should be construed as a regulation. Nor does the SDN TOS bar anyone from using any forum they wish as long as it does not violation said TOS.

HITMAN said:
My money's on pillowhead. You'll lose that debate, and further humiliate yourself in the process.

why thank you. i'm flattered. :D

typeB-md said:

you should have your own forum or maybe shrine ..what an ego :laugh:

typeB-md said:

yeah, but does anyone actually like you?

How many people think typeB-md has a made-for-internet personality going on here? I bet in real life he's nothing like the front he puts up on SDN. He probably enjoys getting everybody all worked up. Actually that last post was pretty funny. He's a perfect caricature, and I sometimes think he isn't even trying to be serious.

typeB-md said:
the fact of the matter is that i am probably much smarter than 99% of people and probably more athletic than 98% of people. i am as close to the supreme being as is humanly possible and i'm not even joking.

i seriously can't stop laughing :laugh: How do you stand your classmates or the people you meet on the street or patients in the hospital? Gosh, you must get so bored being around all of us imperfect dummies :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.