Israeli Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No one knows for sure who gets in after an interview, not everybody does. A Sackler grad came to speak to us recently. He has been conducting interviews and mentioned how the pool is large, and getting quite competitive for a spot here at Sackler.

I wouldnt worry about it. Enjoy your freedom!

Members don't see this ad.

UnNethertrash,
As a general rule, the longest visas that are granted in Israel are 3 month tourist visas. The visas can be renewed every three months, but she would have to fly out of the country for a few days, then return and get a new tourist visa. There are actually a lot of people living in Israel that do this.

The primary exceptions to the standard tourist visa are for students of Israeli accredited colleges & universities (i.e., medical students) and their spouses who can stay uninterrupted for the entirity of their studies. If you guys are not legally married in your country of citizenship there is no possible way for her to "ride" on your visa.

If you are married she could get a basic "student's wife" visa (which doesn't allow her to work), then apply to have her visa converted into a working visa. This involves finding an employer here in Israel that would "sponsor her" by writing a letter on her behalf stating that they could not fill their position with an Israeli and asking. This actually isnt as hard as it sounds because there are frequently job openings here that are only suitable for native-English speakers.

The only other possible option would be for her to declare Aliyah (i.e., declare her intention to seek Israeli citizenship).

Hope this helps...

Don't forget if you are a Jew and from the U.S. you automatically can have Duel Citizenship in Isreal. I have a friend that is Jewish, and signed a few papers and wala = duel citizenship no questions asked no hassel...But, if your 20 and you do this-->welcome to the Israeli army...

Don't forget if you are a Jew and from the U.S. you automatically can have Duel Citizenship in Isreal. I have a friend that is Jewish, and signed a few papers and wala = duel citizenship no questions asked no hassel...But, if your 20 and you do this-->welcome to the Israeli army...

Which is why I don't know any males at Sackler doing that. You will be pulled into the army as a medic following graudation. They will not do that for women.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any currently enrolled Sackler students out there reading this? If so, do you mind sharing with us your GPA/MCAT scores? Also, how and when did they notify you about your acceptance?

I had an interview at Sackler and I am anxious...I just want to know where I'll be next year and it's my first choice!

Has anyone heard from the TEAMS admissions staff? I have applied for fall 2007. Some students have gotten in already. Many congratulations. Would you mind sharing your timeline of submission for all supporting documents? Do you know how many people they will accept for TEAMS? The Admissions team is quite elusive. Apparently, it takes two weeks for e-mails to reach Israel, as well.

Are there any currently enrolled Sackler students out there reading this? If so, do you mind sharing with us your GPA/MCAT scores? Also, how and when did they notify you about your acceptance?

I had an interview at Sackler and I am anxious...I just want to know where I'll be next year and it's my first choice!

It varies on when they tell you. It took them about 5 weeks to get back to me, but a lot of other people heard back in two weeks. At this point, thinking about GPA/MCAT doesnt really matter, as you will know if you got in or not soon enough.

Has anyone heard from the TEAMS admissions staff? I have applied for fall 2007. Some students have gotten in already. Many congratulations. Would you mind sharing your timeline of submission for all supporting documents? Do you know how many people they will accept for TEAMS? The Admissions team is quite elusive. Apparently, it takes two weeks for e-mails to reach Israel, as well.

I applied to TEAMS in October, interviewed on Jan 4, and received my letter of acceptance on Feb 12 (letter was dated Jan 29!!). I know it takes a long time for snail mail to arrive from Israel, but emailing should be practically instantaneous. If it takes a long time for the office to reply to emails, it's probably because they're really busy (or lazy).

Best of luck!!!!!!!!

BP

BP,

Many Congratulations! How many students are in the class? If I may be so audacious, what are your stats?

I got a TEAMS interview today. It will be in New York between April 11th and 13th by a Dr. Shalev who is the director of the American program. Has anyone else interviewed with him??

BP,

Many Congratulations! How many students are in the class? If I may be so audacious, what are your stats?

Thanks! I have ~3.67 cGPA, 3.9 Science GPA and 25O on my MCAT. I'm a non-traditional applicant, but I've got quite a bit of clinical experience and I was a super busy and active person throughout college (not necessarily related to the medical field).

The interview was super chilled out. I was in Israel when they notified me about it, so I interviewed in Israel! Dr. Shalev was really great, laid back, really personable. I felt way more relaxed after my interview...it must have been the sea air!

Best of luck!! If you have any questions, feel free to pm me or just post :)

btw, I have no idea how many students will be in the class

I'm looking for Israeli psychometry preparation book for in English. I'll appreciate any help.
Thanks.

i interviewed there last month, and was awaiting word, so i called the office. the guy on the phone said they wont be making decisions until after Passover, which sucks. not to mention that their website says there's notification to applicants in March, though it later says in April.

i've seen helpful posts discussion sackler versus technion, but i wonder if someone would weigh in about ben gurion? clearly, there's advantages/disadvatages to being in beersheva, but how to the programs compare?

thanks!

I think BGU attracts students who are interested in practicing international medicine. Im sure its a good school, but I would say if you are interested in returning to the states to practice, that Sackler and Technion may be better known.

Id say the benefit to beer sheva is that the negev is beautiful, but the downside being you are further from TA/Jlem.

Also, the website is full of misinformation, so take everything on there with a grain of salt.

I think BGU attracts students who are interested in practicing international medicine. Im sure its a good school, but I would say if you are interested in returning to the states to practice, that Sackler and Technion may be better known.

Id say the benefit to beer sheva is that the negev is beautiful, but the downside being you are further from TA/Jlem.

Also, the website is full of misinformation, so take everything on there with a grain of salt.

What misinformation?

Mainly that comment was alluding to the physician advisor program, which wasnt introduced to our class. I do not know if it says it on the site still or not.