is your spouse going to AZCOM??

jhug

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Megan and my husband is quite sure AZCOM is where we will end up. He has been accepted there and that has by far been his favorite school so far. BUT...have any of you ever been to Arizona? Luckily, I went down there with him for his interview to kind of see around...there isn't much to it. Its kind of a sad state, not very pretty. But, I'm excited for the new challenge, and I'm excited for my husband, because I too think that is where he will get the best education. I am looking for other wives who will be down there next year (class of '06). I don't know a single soul down in Arizona and I'm pretty nervous about the move, but I am excited to meet new people and really enjoy our 4 years there. I am a nurse, and will hopefully be able to get a good job as an RN down there. Does anyone know what kind of support system the school provides for spouses? Well, even if they don't, we may have to start one ourselves, because I know I won't be the only one in town who is new and doesn't know anyone. Hope to see some of you next fall!
Megan

Members don't see this ad.

I've lived in Arizona for the past 15 years and while I'm not attending AZCOM I can tell you that Arizona is a great place. Glendale (the city where AZCOM is) isn't great but just give Arizona a chance. The weather right now is beautiful and if you want to ski, Flagstaff is just two hours away. Las Vegas only 4.5 hours away and San Diego is 5 hours away. Summers take some getting used to but aren't that bad. Phoenix is very spread out so a car is necessary, but it is one of the fastest growing cities and now home of the world champion DBacks. Mass transit here really sucks. If you like the outdoors there are plenty of things to do. I can't help you as far the spouse support goes but I do have a friend at AZCOM, he might know, also try the pre-osteopathic forum. If you have any questions about AZ just ask away.

First of all, congratulations to your husband! It must be so exciting to know the hard work has paid off. Personally, I'm going crazy not knowing where we will be living a year from now!! As far as Arizona is concerned, you have technically seen the ugliest part. As a resident for the past 6 1/2 years (Scottsdale, Tempe and Tucson), I can tell you that it is a remarkably beautiful state. I don't know how much time you and your husband will have to get out of town on the weekends, but Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott, Fountain Hills, Tucson, etc.. are all wonderful locations, and look nothing like "The Valley." The Phoenix area has its charms though. There are many theaters, and the Phoenix Coyotes hockey games are fantastic. There is a cute zoo and hundreds of hiking and mountain bike trails. I'm not sure how it will compare to where you live (in Utah?), but the cost of living is the lowest of anywhere I have lived, especially in the "West Valley" where the school is located. There are also many hospitals, and a huge elderly population, which means RN jobs are plentiful.
As far as the summers are concerned, you deal with them the same way the rest of the country deals with winter...you stay inside. Plus, if you want to see snow in the winter you can drive to it, instead of shoveling it. Trust me...wearing shorts and sunglasses while sipping iced tea on New Year's Eve is spectacular.
Best Wishes!