Is working in an optometry office required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bpop

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I couldn't seem to find any relevant information on this, so I decided to start a new thread.

I am starting my freshman year spring semester. I will start doing prereqs that will lead me to OD school. However, I just started a job at a residential treatment facility for mental illness. I don't want to quit as soon as it seems I should to work in an optometrists office, and that is where I'm conflicted.

Should I work here for a few years and then move to an optometry office? Or would a lot of shadowing and stuff be okay?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No, working in an optometry setting is definitely not a requirement for your application!

The work experience you get in the residential treatment facility I’d say would be a unique portion of your application when it comes time to apply and interview. You could relate certain patient care experiences into how you think they would help you in your optometry career. Also if you’re asking “why not any other health care profession” you can explain why because you’ve worked first hand in them.

Now schools of course would still like to see that you know what optometry entails but enough shadowing is sufficient for that!

Best of luck to you and your future endeavors!

Reactions: 1 user
Close friends of mine were involved with shadowing and did perfectly fine during their application cycles. So like Docere has said, it is not a requirement that you work in an optometry setting. Good luck with everything moving forward!

Working is not a requirement but I did gain a lot of insight about the career through being a tech