Is University of California, San Francisco really all that?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadeInHouston

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I been researching around and as many of you know it's the top ranking pharmacy school in 2008, yet ever wonder why? Why is it the top ranking pharmacy school, hows the school/environment like, and is it expensive? I, myself live in TX so I have no idea what's it like in Cali. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Like they say, it's not number 1 for everyone :)

I was born and raised in the bay area so one of the reasons I chose UCSF was because of location. I want to be around my family to help support them in any way possible.

Another reason was UCSF's program itself. It was unique and impressed me more than any other school that I applied to. I believe that the education and support I will receive from the faculty will better prepare me for my future as a pharmacist!

UCSF's mission statement also aligned with my own beliefs :).

Tuition is cheaper, though living in the city may not be... but hey, you're in SF :p.

So in conclusion, it really depends on what you're looking for in a school.

Like they say, it's not number 1 for everyone :)

I was born and raised in the bay area so one of the reasons I chose UCSF was because of location. I want to be around my family to help support them in any way possible.

Another reason was UCSF's program itself. It was unique and impressed me more than any other school that I applied to. I believe that the education and support I will receive from the faculty will better prepare me for my future as a pharmacist!

UCSF's mission statement also aligned with my own beliefs :).

Tuition is cheaper, though living in the city may not be... but hey, you're in SF :p.

So in conclusion, it really depends on what you're looking for in a school.

What about their program that makes you think is unique and impressive? I'm just really curious, I don't know much about that school except that it's extremely research oriented.

Members don't see this ad :)
one reason: it pulls the top students from the top universities

when you have a lot of raw brain power to work with, your students can do more given the right learning environment/curriculum.

Actually, the program isn't extremely research oriented. UCSF has a pathway system where you can choose either Pharmaceutical Care, Health Services and Policy Research or Pharmaceutical Science. Most students go into pharm care which emphasizes more on clinical aspects of pharmacy.

I really liked the large emphasis on inter health professional relationships and UCSF really makes it a point for us to collaborate with the other 3 schools (Dental, Medicine and Nursing). We're able to take elective classes with them and also work with them on different projects. They also beautifully integrate hands on experience with didactics by hiring actors to role play with UCSF students. This would greatly help with practicing counseling skills and other roles as a pharmacist.

Another thing I really liked was the power of the students. It supports student empowerment and really asks students to be involved with the structure of the program. They work closely with each student to make sure that the student is utilizing their agency to receive the pharmacy school experience they want.

Lastly, they work closely with community. Living in SF, a very liberal and diverse city, is an adventure on its own. UCSF doesn't only teach students about pharmacy but diversity as well. People may say, "Well what the heck is teaching diversity? Shouldn't we know all that?" In fact, most people don't know what it means. Diversity entails more than just racial identities... It encompasses queer, gender, sex, age, economic status, etc. UCSF teaches their students to be sensitive about different struggles that may factor into patients' lives. :)

All in all, I love what UCSF has to offer. I hope this helped explain a little bit. If not, then feel free to PM me!

What about their program that makes you think is unique and impressive? I'm just really curious, I don't know much about that school except that it's extremely research oriented.

I am sure the UCSF is a good school. But, it is not cheap compared to other public schools. The tuition at UCSF is around $30,000 a year for the California resident when compared to around $15,000 at other public schools. Private schools charge $40,000 per year. The cost is far more important than the reputation of the school as you will get a similar education at different schools. If you are from other state, it is best to go to your state's public school. If you are from California or you cannot get into your state's public school, UCSF and UCSD look far more attractive compared to the private school.