Is this worth an update to schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prairiemusic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
After I submitted my AMCAS, I finished a class this summer and got an A. This A brings my sGPA from like 2.98 to 3.05, which is right around my cGPA. So far I've only been pre-II rejected by three state schools, which all said something to the effect of "your application wasn't competitive enough to be out of state." The other schools I applied to either don't screen for secondaries or I made it through somehow except for one super reach lol, don't have high hopes for that one but I haven't heard anything from them so I don't know about getting screened out. Anyways.

Is this worth a whole update letter? My gap year activities were all in my primary so I don't really have anything to update or change with regards to that. I'm mostly thinking it isn't significant enough (finishing one class? really?) but I also think getting up above that 3.0 mark might be helpful. Also, do I really need to write out a letter addressing the adcoms for each school or can I just write a generic one? Thank you friends.

Members don't see this ad.

After I submitted my AMCAS, I finished a class this summer and got an A. This A brings my sGPA from like 2.98 to 3.05, which is right around my cGPA. So far I've only been pre-II rejected by three state schools, which all said something to the effect of "your application wasn't competitive enough to be out of state." The other schools I applied to either don't screen for secondaries or I made it through somehow except for one super reach lol, don't have high hopes for that one but I haven't heard anything from them so I don't know about getting screened out. Anyways.

Is this worth a whole update letter? My gap year activities were all in my primary so I don't really have anything to update or change with regards to that. I'm mostly thinking it isn't significant enough (finishing one class? really?) but I also think getting up above that 3.0 mark might be helpful. Also, do I really need to write out a letter addressing the adcoms for each school or can I just write a generic one? Thank you friends.

Getting above a 3.0 would only be helpful for autoscreens, and since you already have 23 secondaries I think you have your hands full. I dug back and saw your MCAT. At this point a given school will either be interested or not.

For schools that allow direct updates through their respective portals, you could simply upload a copy of your unofficial transcript with the extra A. That would be relatively subtle.

Reactions: 1 user
Getting above a 3.0 would only be helpful for autoscreens, and since you already have 23 secondaries I think you have your hands full. I dug back and saw your MCAT. At this point a given school will either be interested or not.

For schools that allow direct updates through their respective portals, you could simply upload a copy of your unofficial transcript with the extra A. That would be relatively subtle.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you!

AMCAS schools are not going to recalculate your application GPAs when you get new grades and report them.

Reactions: 1 user