Is this true regarding Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeautyGuru

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be starting dental school in a month and I have been researching different specialties. I came across several forums on SDN regarding how OMFS from 4-year programs do not have the ability to perform cosmetic procedures (due to some state laws and patients refusing to get certain procedures from a dentist) and often have their surgeries delayed due to the hierarchal hospital environment. I also read that OMFS from 6-year programs have difficulty attaining referrals from general dentists due to some MD resentment (I didn't think this was a thing). I was not aware of any of this and I would like to know if others have any information regarding this?

Do you know any OMFS from 4-year programs? What procedures do they do and how is their work environment in hospitals? Do you know any OMFS from 6- year programs and how is their practice scope different?

What concerns have OMFS expressed?

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to be starting dental school in a month and I have been researching different specialties. I came across several forums on SDN regarding how OMFS from 4-year programs do not have the ability to perform cosmetic procedures (due to some state laws and patients refusing to get certain procedures from a dentist) and often have their surgeries delayed due to the hierarchal hospital environment. I also read that OMFS from 6-year programs have difficulty attaining referrals from general dentists due to some MD resentment (I didn't think this was a thing). I was not aware of any of this and I would like to know if others have any information regarding this?

Do you know any OMFS from 4-year programs? What procedures do they do and how is their work environment in hospitals? Do you know any OMFS from 6- year programs and how is their practice scope different?

What concerns have OMFS expressed?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Christ...some of the regulars on here are condescending a**holes. The OP is essentially a predent and obviously doesn't have a clue. Just give him/her some feedback.

@BeautyGuru, I'm a dental student interested in this field and haven't heard of any such biases. 4-years have the ability to do cosmetic procedures.
I gave them feedback. Everything they said was incorrect. Just did it with some flare.

Reactions: 1 user
sure 4 yrs do cosmetics
good example is Dr. Joseph Niamtu
you can actually watch some of his videos on youtube. good educator
I'm a practicing OS, did a 6 yr. don't see much resentment from GPs. although lines are blurrying regarding office based procedures... lots of GPs, perio, prostho etc are taking out wisdom teeth, doing implants etc... no resentment, just some turf wars
don't worry about that now. get a good DS education and milk the hell out of your residency and find a niche.
any ?s just PM me. and don't listen to these other cats who are denigrating you. they are probably getting their a-holes filled in residency by their superiors.