Is this schedule too hard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is the double major schedule too packed?

• Total voters

CUBuff2019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a first semester freshman at CU Boulder. I met with an advisor in a program I am in, and they made me create a tentative 4 year class outline. I am majoring in biophysics, but am considering double majoring in biochemistry. I'm posting both schedules, and I need some advice if the double major schedule is doable or just too loaded. I graduated HS with a 4.4 GPA and consider myself to be smart lol! I am incredibly passionate about physics and its biological applications, and biochemistry adds to this. I am pre-dental but would like to apply to a DDS/PhD program, or even an MD/PhD program if I find research that relates more to the medical field. I'm currently taking bio and gen chem and am getting A's on all the homeworks and the last exam. Thank you!

SINGLE MAJOR- BIOPHYSICS

Freshman

FALL- 14 CREDIT HOURS

General Biology 1 w/ Lab- 4

General Chemistry 1 w/ Lab- 5

Advanced First Year Writing- 3

Intro to STEM Research- 2

SPRING- 15 CREDIT HOURS

General Biology 2 w/ Lab- 4

General Chemistry 2 w/ Lab- 5

Calculus 2- 5

MASP Class- 1

SUMMER- 4 CREDIT HOURS

General Physics 1- 4

Sophomore

FALL- 18 CREDIT HOURS

Organic Chemistry 1 w/ Lab- 5

General Physics 2 w/ Lab- 5

Calculus 3- 4

Psychology- 3

MASP Class- 1

SPRING- 17 CREDIT HOURS

Organic Chemistry 2 w/ Lab- 5

Foundations of Modern Physics w/ Lab- 4

Differential Equations w/ Linear Algebra- 4

LGBT/Feminist Studies- 3

MASP Class- 1

SUMMER- 6 CREDIT HOURS

World History- 3

Philosophy- 3

Junior

FALL- 12 CREDIT HOURS

Classical Mechanics & Mathematical Methods 1- 3

Genetics- 3

Russian Fairy Tales- 3

Survey of Biochemistry- 3

SPRING- 12 CREDIT HOURS

Classical Mechanics & Mathematical Methods 2- 3

Principles of Electricity & Magnetism 1- 3

Electronics in Physical Sciences- 2

Microbiology- 4

Senior

FALL- 12 CREDIT HOURS

Quantum Mechanics 1- 3

Principles of Electricity & Magnetism 2- 3

Writing- 3

Molecular Cell Biology 1- 3

Political Science- 3

SPRING- 12 CREDIT HOURS

Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics- 3

History and Philosophy of Physics- 3

Molecular Cell Biology 2- 3

Russian Cinema- 3

DOUBLE MAJOR- BIOPHYSICS/BIOCHEMISTRY

Freshman

FALL- 14 CREDIT HOURS

General Biology 1 w/ Lab- 4

General Chemistry 1 w/ Lab- 5

Advanced First Year Writing- 3

Intro to STEM Research- 2

SPRING- 15 CREDIT HOURS

General Biology 2 w/ Lab- 4

General Chemistry 2 w/ Lab- 5

Calculus 2- 5

MASP Class- 1

SUMMER- 4 CREDIT HOURS

General Physics 1- 4

Sophomore

FALL- 18 CREDIT HOURS

Organic Chemistry 1 w/ Lab- 5

General Physics 2 w/ Lab- 5

Calculus 3- 4

Psychology- 3

MASP Class- 1

SPRING- 17 CREDIT HOURS

Organic Chemistry 2 w/ Lab- 5

Foundations of Modern Physics w/ Lab- 4

Differential Equations w/ Linear Algebra- 4

LGBT/Feminist Studies- 3

MASP Class- 1

SUMMER (ONLINE)- 6 CREDIT HOURS

World History- 3

Philosophy- 3

Junior

FALL- 13 CREDIT HOURS

Classical Mechanics & Mathematical Methods 1- 3

Genetics- 3

Russian Fairy Tales- 3

Foundations of Biochemistry- 4

SPRING- 15 CREDIT HOURS

Classical Mechanics & Mathematical Methods 2- 3

Principles of Electricity & Magnetism 1- 3

Electronics in Physical Sciences- 2

General Biochemistry 2- 4

Russian Cinema- 3

SUMMER- 10 CREDIT HOURS

Microbiology- 4

Physical Chemistry 1- 3

Physical Chemistry 2- 3

Senior

FALL- 12 CREDIT HOURS

Quantum Mechanics 1- 3

Principles of Electricity & Magnetism 2- 3

Writing- 3

Molecular Cell Biology 1- 3

Political Science- 3

SPRING- 13 CREDIT HOURS

Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics- 3

History and Philosophy of Physics- 3

Molecular Cell Biology 2- 3

Biochemistry Laboratory- 4

Members don't see this ad.

Your freshman year is pretty heavy - are you not able to take any easier electives then?

Your freshman year is pretty heavy - are you not able to take any easier electives then?

I took AP biology last year, so my biology class is almost total review for me. My writing class is also incredibly easy with a very laid back professor lol. Only thing that will suck next semester is calc 2 and gen chem 2 together. But the random humanities classes listed are my electives and core requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took a minor in biophysics at my university, it was really interesting and for the most part incorporated only physics concepts from phys 1&2 (calculus based). I definitely think that is a extremely heavy schedule (especially that sophomore spring), I think you could do your Biophysics major and just add your prereqs for Dental school on top of that. Especially if your school offers a summer semester it would be extremely doable. Just remember that you will ideally be doing some extracurriculars as well as trying to get As in every class. But then again do whatever you think you are capable of, if that's what your passion is. IF your only goal is to go to a professional school (MD/Dental) then you can definitely make it a little "easier" for yourself because you are essentially doing a engineering major + a strong science major which at least at my school are two of the toughest degrees to do very well in.

To me, that looks easy. To you maybe it's hard; it depends on the individual.

I took AP biology last year, so my biology class is almost total review for me. My writing class is also incredibly easy with a very laid back professor lol. Only thing that will suck next semester is calc 2 and gen chem 2 together. But the random humanities classes listed are my electives and core requirements.

I am currently taking calc 2 and gen chem 2 and they are not hard. You will be fine!

It looks pretty doable to me. That summer with pchem and micro is gonna be hard though.

Club library is the best place to pick up

Imagine you are currently behind in 15 hours of recorded lecture in one class and 20 powerpoint lectures in another class (because you had tests last week and the week before) AND you have another set of tests in 3 days AND you still need to go to classes because materials that would be covered are up to the day of the test.

That's where I am right now lol so just do what's best for you to get into dental school, there will be a time and place for the harder portion of your life haha XD

Looks good to me. Stay on top of everything and learn to carve out what isn't necessary!