Is this possible Pre PA thinking Pre Med. Bad Past

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Athack

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
To start out I am a senior at Boise State University now 22. My GPA is 3.55. I have worked as a CNA with about 1500 clinical experience in the float pool at a hospital and skilled nursing facility. I have always worked in college around 24 hours weekly and during the summer (2 and half month) I would go up to Alaska to fish on a boat (quick cash) though stopped this last summer to focus more on school. The plan and hope was to get into PA school once I graduate, but after taking the classes I have taken and working in the hospital. I have truly found a joy for school and the healthcare field. Now going into my next semester of college I am bummed that I won't be taking the second part of organic chemistry and really starting to feel like a PA program wont be enough for myself. I want to learn more about biology and have grown very empathetic towards the individuals who I help at work, this has really made me think about devoting more years to school to better help these individuals. By switching to medical school I figured this would add on another year of undergraduate to mainly do research and the pre-reqs like physics that PA programs don't require. I have also shadowed a Orthopedic surgeon and Family practice PA for a couple of days. I do know that the medical field is for me and enjoy every day I go to work.

Here is the catch though....... I have a bad past filled with mistakes that a typical medical student doesn't make or go through. When I was a freshmen in college, I went through the court system for a year and a half because I left the scene of an injury due to myself panicking. I was young 18 at the time and completely panicked thinking this accident will ruin my life. After calming myself down I ran back and called myself in, I was gone for 10 mins. I did NOT GET CHARGED from this after a jury trail and the only thing that still hunts me is my mistake for what I did and a mug shot/repository information. Though from this period my GPA did suffer while going to school getting B pretty much. The big take away though is that I have learned from my mistakes and learned how to be calm in very stressful situations. I have also learned to take life day by day. where before hand I never gave myself or allowed my self to make errors being very critical on myself when I did this is because of the other part........

The other part is I use to be in the special education system/ had an IEP from elementary school to 8th year of high school literally learning very little. This was due to being in a small rural community and having an issue learning at an early age (delayed learning in reading mainly). After moving to a larger city I was given more resources, with hard work and with alot of help from my teachers staying after school, I got rid of my independent education plan and was ranked 10th in my class of 479 of my graduating class. No one would ever guess about my past now not even my girlfriend and the only thing that this has effected in my life are poor spelling mistakes every once and awhile.

I know I could probably not mention the special education system or even the year and a half of court in an interview. But these are parts in my life that make me who I am and have also given me a great deal of personal strength.

Can I get some advice? Is this possible with my history? Academically I can do this but will this prevent me from being accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the good work you've done the last few years.
You will most likely run into the same difficulties with admissions and licensing because of past mistakes whether PA or medical school and the same for PA vs physician licensing and credentialing.
The more time you put between where you were then and where you are now, those mistakes will hurt less, especially if your behavior and professionalism continue to be exemplary.
My advice as someone who did both PA and medical school is that you should try for med school now if you already know that's what you want.
I'm very grateful for my first career as a PA but even as a PGY3 resident physician I am so much happier now.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on the good work you've done the last few years.
You will most likely run into the same difficulties with admissions and licensing because of past mistakes whether PA or medical school and the same for PA vs physician licensing and credentialing.
The more time you put between where you were then and where you are now, those mistakes will hurt less, especially if your behavior and professionalism continue to be exemplary.
My advice as someone who did both PA and medical school is that you should try for med school now if you already know that's what you want.
I'm very grateful for my first career as a PA but even as a PGY3 resident physician I am so much happier now.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love this

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile