Medical Is this normal medical school treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m struggling. I lost family members I was very close with to COVID. Because of the nature of COVID, the progression was long and draining. I was the point of contact at the hospital. They died within 3 weeks of each other during our last organ system block. I told student affairs and did not receive much support. My class size is small, so students don’t really get “lost” in the mix.

I initially had told student affairs that i found out one of the relatives was hospitalized the morning of an exam and then didn’t hear from them again until after both my relatives were already gone and I reached out to them to update. I really struggled through this last organ system trying to focus, despite the deaths, and failed the exam. I likely failed the retake as well. I wasn’t offered even a day off to process. Student affairs and support staff have not reached out to me. No one has checked on me. I feel very alone and drained and completely fried. I tried so hard to catch up and to focus, but I’m so tired. I had hoped for time off to relax over thanksgiving and Christmas but like I said, COVID progression is long and they were in the hospital the entire time so it was very stressful.

I’m almost certain that failing a retake doesn’t show up on my transcript or anything. I was just wondering if this was typical of student affairs to be like this. I’m just really frustrated and exhausted.
Not at all is this normal or ok. I am so sorry that you are going to through this. Have you seen your school counselors yet?

Members don't see this ad.

No this is not typical and not ok. So sorry that you haven’t gotten any support.

im honestly not sure I have any meaningful advice to give. This sucks. Please know that you are justified in feeling however you do, and utilize whatever support system you have.

Based on the wording of our grading policy, it’s unclear what happens next or if it goes on my transcript. I don’t know if I should fight it if I fail and it goes on my transcript, or what I should do. I would have begged for additional time had I known. I have another organ system exam next week. I’m drowning. I haven’t had any time to process what happened.
Make an appointment with the Student Affairs Dean. Tell them it is urgent.
If all else fails, ask for a Leave of Absence.

It is the dean of student affairs who I told about the hospitalization... who then never checked in with me until a month later when I told them both my family members died. They then saw my failing test grade, asked how I was doing.. told me it was understandable that I failed and then that was it. No offer for support... left me with a week to study for the retake while in the middle of Pulmonology which was distracting/upsetting enough covering ARDS and ventilation. Didn’t hear from the school again.
Gawd what a mess. If you were one of my students, this would not have happened.

I think it's time for an LOA. You need time to grieve and heal.

From now on, in any communication, include the Dean, and as well as the superior of the Student Affairs Dean. What you've been through is intolerable!

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep a record of all the messages to which they did not respond and continue to take contemporaneous notes on any further failures to respond. Copy the actual dean with a summary of these failures to respond if they do not answer your urgent request!

Gawd what a mess. If you were one of my students, this would not have happened.

I think it's time for an LOA. You need time to grieve and heal.

From now on, in any communication, include the Dean, and as well as the superior of the Student Affairs Dean. What you've been through is intolerable!
I agree with this. There is no shame in taking an LOA—it exists as an option for exactly these kinds of situations. Don’t continue to drown and hope things will magically get better.

Okay. I’m in student leadership, so I see the dean of student affairs often. They just don’t care.
It would be better if I had support from the school. But they are adding to my situation in a negative way, rather than helping it. I’m a good student. I score well. I’m just really sad. I tried to get it together before the retake, but a 1 week turnaround wasn’t enough on top to studying for the material I’m being tested on next week.

What penal colony is this?????

You need to contact your Dean and the University's CEO/President/Provost/ Chancellor, etc. Find out if other students have also been victimized by such educational malpractice.

Can I ask what would have been a normal response to a student who had two close deaths in a 4 week organ system block? I only have my school/experience to go off of
We would have let you delay the exam(s).

I've had students who have gone through the exact same heartaches. These students failed exams and and were cut as much slack as possible to make sure they passed remediations and Boards. I think some took LOA and came back stronger.

As the Student Affairs Dean is being unhelpful, have you reached out to any of his/her subordinates? Have you asked any Faculty to intervene on your behalf? You should not be in this alone. I'd have that Dean's ass on toast if ours put one of my students though your ordeal.

Also, have you reached out to your school's counseling services??

have an ally in a faculty member who has asked multiple times to report multiple instances of lack of empathy on my behalf over the last 6 months. But because the dean of student affairs and this other staff member are in charge of writing my academic and character portions of residency letters, I have been too afraid of retaliation. I have a therapist, albeit not a great one lol. I’m just shocked to hear delaying exams as an option as nothing has ever been offered to me. Not even a day off
No single individual writes your MSPE!
Keep good records. They are the best defense against retaliation.

I have kept everything. I know these are "if's," but if I fail my retake and it actually does go on my transcript, what are my options? Taking my situation to the dean of the medical school and fighting to have it removed given I was offered no accommodations? I have a paper trail and a faculty member who will come to my defense and knows my entire experience here. It just feels slightly like my fault for not advocating for myself and asking for what I needed, but I truly didn't realize it was not normal to be treated like that. I figured it is medical school and it's supposed to be hard. I can't afford to take a LOA. Tuition is so expensive and if I can pass this exam next week, I will be ok. I've done well so far. It was just very difficult with the deaths.
If you are in leadership, I understand the challenges. I don't know what your student handbook says but procedures at your school or university should be clear on what you should be expecting. Hope you get the LOA and a reasonable resolution.

I have poured over the handbook and syllabus. The syllabus says that you must pass all exams to pass the course. You can retake each exam one time. Failure of 3 separate RETAKE exams may result in failure of course. Nothing in the student policy handbook that talks about what happens if you fail a retake... our course is the entire year. Only one grade. The grading policy refers to the course. Then remediation policy refers to failure of the course itself. But nowhere does it talk about if you fail a retake what happens. Just that you must pass all exams to pass the course. And failure of 3 separate retakes (3 separate exams) results in failure of the course. It contradicts itself.

I’m assuming it doesn’t affect my transcript and I have to attend a week repeat lecture of this organ system or something and prove to them I’m not a dummy, just grieving, and move on.... as long as I don’t fail 3 retakes from 3 separate exams.
Failing a single pre-clin isn't the end of the world, even if that's the result.

As already mentioned, you should go see your Dean. In person. Or at least video chat. Email is not going to solve this problem.

Yes. I think it’s reasonable to have things change as time goes on and you go from brand new medical student to halfway through MS1. There are many aspects I love about my school, and I am forever grateful to be here. There are also aspects that are making things difficult given my current situation. As I’ve said, off things have been happening for months but it’s the collective occurrences coupled with the loss of family that has made things especially challenging. I can handle occasional instances here and there, but coupled with a significant life event and lack of support is difficult.

i’m not sure the intention of bringing up that post was, but I don’t find it to be misleading of my current situation. Edit: Nowhere in this thread have I said I hate medical school or hate my school. I still love school. I love learning. I love so many things about it here. I just don't love certain aspects and my current situation. I do believe I have fallen through the cracks in the wellbeing department, but my impression at the time of the post you dug up was what I stated.
I'm so sorry this is happening to you and no it's not what should be done or happens at other schools. I had extenuating circumstances and the deans personally reached out to me and let me go home for three weeks and take my exam after winter break. You deserve support whether that's a LOA or just actual communication from student affairs to get you set up in a place where you can thrive. Stay strong and reach out to friends, family, etc. for support.

Thank you for the response... I really appreciate it. I scored well above average on the retake, so at least I can take that stress off my plate. Just need to pass this organ system exam this week, and I will finally be back to normal. Passing the retake is a huge weight off my shoulders.
I’m glad the retake worked out for you. Again, make sure to reach out to your counselors at the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.