Is this enough research? or need more

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PerfectMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently got a first-author peer-reviewed publication now indexed in PubMed as a 2nd-year medical student. Really excited to see it come through. I am interested in Orthopedics. During my master's degree, I published my first peer-reviewed paper that is not indexed in PubMed.

My main question is does the one I did during my Master's count for residencies? Also, overall, will I need more publications? I plan on doing my best to get more but in the event that I can not, can I satisfy the rest of my research components with presentations and abstracts?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

More is always better. How much better is hard to say. If you have the time, it’s probably better to just do more. Why risk it?

Depends on what kind of studies/papers. 1st author case report is not as impressive as a more rigorous study. The paper from the Master's degree counts. The numbers frequently cited for ortho, derm, NSG, etc. are all inflated because things like abstracts/oral presentations/posters all count. Either way, 2 actual pubmed-indexed manuscripts by M2 is not bad. If you look at the actual number of pubmed-indexed manuscripts for successfully matched applicants, they are a lot lower than you'd think (there are publications on this).

Strong LORs from ortho faculty, not bombing step 2 ck, etc. will matter quite a bit in addition to research.

Depends on what kind of studies/papers. 1st author case report is not as impressive as a more rigorous study. The paper from the Master's degree counts. The numbers frequently cited for ortho, derm, NSG, etc. are all inflated because things like abstracts/oral presentations/posters all count. Either way, 2 actual pubmed-indexed manuscripts by M2 is not bad. If you look at the actual number of pubmed-indexed manuscripts for successfully matched applicants, they are a lot lower than you'd think (there are publications on this).

Strong LORs from ortho faculty, not bombing step 2 ck, etc. will matter quite a bit in addition to research.

the recently published is a review paper. Working on primary research right now but I know they take a while and may not reach publication on time.