Is this considered non-clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vkmd19

Reaction score
Hi all, I am going to be applying for medical school in next year's cycle, but I wanted to make sure that I am on track with volunteering before I start applying. I have a lot of clinical volunteer hours (from hospital and clinic volunteering), but I wanted to make sure I also have enough non-clinical volunteering hours.

I volunteer with a program where I spend time with older adults an informal setting, outside of the hospital, once a week.

Would this be considered non-clinical volunteering, since it is technically outside of the hospital setting and my responsibilities are more geared towards promoting social interaction, such as playing games or coloring with them?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd say it depends. Are they patients? Are they receiving medical care? If yes, I'd say it's clinical.

If they aren't patients, then I'd say it's non-clinical.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say it depends. Are they patients? Are they receiving medical care? If yes, I'd say it's clinical.

If they aren't patients, then I'd say it's non-clinical.

They are referred by their physician to this program, but they aren't hospital inpatients and we meet with them at community centers and are not performing any medical care at these centers. Would it still be considered clinical?

I volunteer with a program where I interact with older adults living with dementia in a more informal setting, outside of the hospital, once a week, to simply talk and spend time with them.

Would this be considered non-clinical volunteering, since it is technically outside of the hospital setting and my responsibilities are more geared towards promoting social interaction, such as playing games or coloring with them?
Is this something like a senior day care situation or more of an inpatient dementia unit?

I interact with older adults living with dementia in a more informal setting, outside of the hospital, once a week, to simply talk and spend time with them.my responsibilities are more geared towards promoting social interaction, such as playing games or coloring with them?

You don't call them patients, you are outside of a hospital or clinical setting and you are sitting close to them, talking and engaging in recreational activities. It seems to not meet my definition (see sig line below) of clinical experience and therefore I'd classify it as non-clinical.

In general, how many non-clinical hours should I am to have for apps?
As may as you can manage. As long as the need is there and you have the time, why would you stop? Are you doing this to help others or to check a box?

Reactions: 1 user
Along these same lines, I call bingo once a month at an assisted living facility. I don't offer any sort of "care", and this is essentially an hour hanging out with retired folks in a retirement-apartment complex type of thing. However, I am a representative of the hospice I volunteer for when I'm there...clinical or non-clinical volunteering?

I can go either way with this because I've got lots of hours sitting by hospice patients' bedsides, and lots of hours volunteering at the local school, with recreational kids' sports, and with my church...I was just curious.

Along these same lines, I call bingo once a month at an assisted living facility. I don't offer any sort of "care", and this is essentially an hour hanging out with retired folks in a retirement-apartment complex type of thing. However, I am a representative of the hospice I volunteer for when I'm there...clinical or non-clinical volunteering?

I can go either way with this because I've got lots of hours sitting by hospice patients' bedsides, and lots of hours volunteering at the local school, with recreational kids' sports, and with my church...I was just curious.
Bingo calling at an assisted living center would be judged as NonClinical Volunteering.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone for your help! Another question regarding this, if I have a leadership position within this volunteer program, would that also be considered under my non-clinical volunteer hours for the program?

Thanks everyone for your help! Another question regarding this, if I have a leadership position within this volunteer program, would that also be considered under my non-clinical volunteer hours for the program?
If you had room on the application and wanted to carve out the leadership portion of your activity to a separate "thing" that would be okay but you could also fold the leadership into your description of your volunteer efforts.

Reactions: 1 user