Is this cheating?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovelyhee23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My professor gave us practice exam for the first midterm but somehow he didn't upload for the second midterm so I used Quizlet to memorize key words and answer pretty decent exam-like questions... and I realized while taking the exam today, all the questions were exactly the same!

I mean I obviously studied so I used my own words to answer most of the questions, but going back to that Quizlet webpage I see that one of the answer for the question is VERY similar (almost the same) to the answer that I wrote on my bluebook.

I am worried that I might get caught for cheating?
Any ideas if this applies as cheating?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My professor gave us practice exam for the first midterm but somehow he didn't upload for the second midterm so I used Quizlet to memorize key words and answer pretty decent exam-like questions... and I realized while taking the exam today, all the questions were exactly the same!

I mean I obviously studied so I used my own words to answer most of the questions, but going back to that Quizlet webpage I see that one of the answer for the question is VERY similar (almost the same) to the answer that I wrote on my bluebook.

Thanks

Im confused, he gave you a practice exam for the first midterm and didnt upload (what?) for second midterm? If you used "keywords" then how can it be ditto the same at all? Or am I missing something?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a gray line, but if you copied the answer verbatim from someone else then that could be considered plagiarism? Did you get caught or just paranoid? Your details from the original post are pretty vague.

Im confused, he gave you a practice exam for the first midterm and didnt upload (what?) for second midterm? If you used "keywords" then how can it be ditto the same at all? Or am I missing something?
Sorry for the confusion. What I meant is... since I didn't have any practice problems to solve, I went on Quizlet to study
and it turns out that those questions were exactly same as my midterm questions. and I realized that one of the answer I wrote is VERY similar.

It's a gray line, but if you copied the answer verbatim from someone else then that could be considered plagiarism? Did you get caught or just paranoid? Your details from the original post are pretty vague.
Just paranoid.

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant is... since I didn't have any practice problems to solve, I went on Quizlet to study
and it turns out that those questions were exactly same as my midterm questions. and I realized that one of the answer I wrote is VERY similar.

I take it this was a short answer essay type exam? The professor didnt upload the first midterm but second they did, how can those two sources/content be the same when its diff midterms?

I take it this was a short answer essay type exam? The professor didnt upload the first midterm but second they did, how can those two sources/content be the same when its diff midterms?
I think I am confusing you more. Nevermind about professor uploading practice exams.

I just studied off from Quizlet (I don't know who uploaded but I am guessing it was one of the students who took the same class before) and found out it's exactly same as my actual midterm.

And yes it was a short answer exam.

hope this is more clear

I think I am confusing you more. Nevermind about professor uploading practice exams.

I just studied off from Quizlet (I don't know who uploaded but I am guessing it was one of the students who took the same class before) and found out it's exactly same as my actual midterm.

And yes it was a short answer exam.

hope this is more clear

Aaah there we go, that was the missing link.

Thing is there is no way to say what the source of those questions were, what if this person had the exam and made the quizlet. In my opinion there is some cause for concern. If it was on quizlet then Im sure others may have done the same.

It sounds like someone on quizlet got a question bank or study guide in order to do that.

I think you're fine. You studied material with no knowledge that it was going to be the exact same thing on the test, and the professor was too lazy to rewrite an exam.

Can't really penalize a go-getter who was trying to study as much as possible IMO

But I can't imagine in any realm OP gets dinged for using quizlet as a tool to study lol esp since he didn't know the person who uploaded this and didn't know that the questions were exactly the questions on the exam until well, after the exam.

Ugh I am just so paranoid since I can be getting in trouble for being too resourceful -___-
Thanks for all the replies though!

Members don't see this ad :)
But I can't imagine in any realm OP gets dinged for using quizlet as a tool to study lol esp since he didn't know the person who uploaded this and didn't know that the questions were exactly the questions on the exam until well, after the exam.

You are right. But some professors for their "pride" may well do so if enough of the answers were verbatim. But you make a good point.

You cannot be penalized AT ALL in the circumstance for knowing the question, BUT if you wrote an answer that was EXACTLY or very close to exactly the same words in the same order of another person, then you would most likely be flagged for that.

Ideally you should use that resource, make your own answer to the question, then read the right answer to see if your answer matches the correct one's enough or not. Make sense? Hope you did that, and if not, hope that the teacher doesn't notice (unless that was his own question bank answer to the question, then he would really notice).

I guess I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the comments!

Last edited:
If they find out that you used it, it is 100% cheating. Well, technically 100% "academic dishonesty." I've seen people be kicked out of medical school for this. Not for using quizlet, because that is legal. But, since you took the test and didn't report that you knew the answers from using quizlet, that is where they can get you. The people that get caught do dumb things like tell others. Don't be those people, and don't get caught.

If they find out that you used it, it is 100% cheating. Well, technically 100% "academic dishonesty." I've seen people be kicked out of medical school for this. Not for using quizlet, because that is legal. But, since you took the test and didn't report that you knew the answers from using quizlet, that is where they can get you. The people that get caught do dumb things like tell others. Don't be those people, and don't get caught.

That's so dumb! Ughhh! So as a student we're actually expected to go and tell a teacher that we saw their question online right after we take the test??

And of course, the teachers negligence to either 1) not return the questions to students and/or 2) simply change or at least re-word their questions is not taken into any consideration at all.

Reactions: 1 user

I sort of agree, not disclosing would be potentially academic dishonesty as you didn't disclose such after completing the test. You would have to consult your particular school's code of conduct to determine if you breached the code or not. My concern would be that someone stole the test and posted it online.

It would be cheating if you specifically knew the questions/answers were online. If you 'and others' wrote verbatim what was online for a majority of questions then the odds of getting discovered increase. If not then the odds are low.

I sort of agree, not disclosing would be potentially academic dishonesty as you didn't disclose such after completing the test. You would have to consult your particular school's code of conduct to determine if you breached the code or not. My concern would be that someone stole the test and posted it online.

It would be cheating if you specifically knew the questions/answers were online. If you 'and others' wrote verbatim what was online for a majority of questions then the odds of getting discovered increase. If not then the odds are low.

The person I know had no idea at all that the practice questions they were studying on quizlet were going to be on the exam. Only while taking the exam did they realize that every single question was word for word. They were kicked out because they didn't bring it to the school's attention after taking it. So, they don't care if there was intent or not. They deemed it dishonest that the student didn't come forward. Pretty harsh I think but also it makes sense.

I wouldn't at this point, considering that you're an undergrad and it already happened. If you were in a medical school already, I'd say maybe you should. If it was right after the exam, I'd say maybe as well. Honestly, most schools wont catch on or care about it, but just be sure to not tell friends what you used to study. Keep it to yourself, and if you get questioned, just say that you did over 1000 quizlet questions and don't necessarily remember if they came from one quizlet or multiple. But it's your call.

The person I know had no idea at all that the practice questions they were studying on quizlet were going to be on the exam. Only while taking the exam did they realize that every single question was word for word. They were kicked out because they didn't bring it to the school's attention after taking it. So, they don't care if there was intent or not. They deemed it dishonest that the student didn't come forward. Pretty harsh I think but also it makes sense.

I see where the rationale for this is coming from now. IF someone takes an exam where EVERY SINGLE question was verbatum the same online as the one they took, and it wasn't posted from an official source, then I'd feel very hesitant after that exam. Personally, I would freak out and not know what to do...

The thing that scares me as a student is that even if I did not cheat, I would also have the reverse-argument in my head that now my professor WOULD think I did cheat by confessing I found this online, and would suspect me (as if I threw myself into an unneccesary problem). Whereas if I didn't say anything, then I wouldn't get caught and I didn't actually cheat in the first place? It's a fuzzy situation, but wow sure glad I wasn't caught up in that.

I see where the rationale for this is coming from now. IF someone takes an exam where EVERY SINGLE question was verbatum the same online as the one they took, and it wasn't posted from an official source, then I'd feel very hesitant after that exam. Personally, I would freak out and not know what to do...

The thing that scares me as a student is that even if I did not cheat, I would also have the reverse-argument in my head that now my professor WOULD think I did cheat by confessing I found this online, and would suspect me (as if I threw myself into an unneccesary problem). Whereas if I didn't say anything, then I wouldn't get caught and I didn't actually cheat in the first place? It's a fuzzy situation, but wow sure glad I wasn't caught up in that.

That's where I am at... sigh... I am so scared

Also, I have to add that we don't know all of the details. For example, if like DrMikeP says that the test was potentially stolen and put online, and those set of questions were administered for the first time that the student took the test, then yea... BIG RED FLAG.

Hypothetical Scenario #2: The set of questions was uploaded on Quizlet in, say, September 2013, and haven't been changed since. Now, 3 years later, the student used previous quizlet questions from 3 years ago to study for this test and the questions are the same?! Cheating? Ehhh... at least can be proven that it's not this student's fault who got caught.... I think.

Bottom Line: Don't try to cheat, and all scenarios play out different. To OP, don't worry for now because chances are low... only begin to worry IF you actually get caught, then get ready to prepare your case. Hopefully the quizlet notes were dated a while back.

Also, I have to add that we don't know all of the details. For example, if like DrMikeP says that the test was potentially stolen and put online, and those set of questions were administered for the first time that the student took the test, then yea... BIG RED FLAG.

Hypothetical Scenario #2: The set of questions was uploaded on Quizlet in, say, September 2013, and haven't been changed since. Now, 3 years later, the student used previous quizlet questions from 3 years ago to study for this test and the questions are the same?! Cheating? Ehhh... at least can be proven that it's not this student's fault who got caught.... I think.

Bottom Line: Don't try to cheat, and all scenarios play out different. To OP, don't worry for now because chances are low... only begin to worry IF you actually get caught, then get ready to prepare your case. Hopefully the quizlet notes were dated a while back.

I checked and the Quizlet was posted a year ago. and I know that my professor don't collect the midterms back cuz he didn't collect our first midterm so I am guessing he used the same midterms for years(?) and have never collected it back from students after the exam.

I hope I am okay...

Last edited:
I checked and the Quizlet was posted a year ago. and I know that my professor don't collect the midterms back cuz he didn't collect our first midterm so I am guessing he used the same midterms for years(?) and have never collected it back from students after the exam.

I hope I am okay...

Yeh this is what I spoke above in my earlier post that the source of that quizlet is what makes it suspect. That said, I am sure you signed a non-disclosure agreement before the test that you received "no outside help" etc from any source....?

Hmmm so what do I do now? :(
Should I tell the professor?

Seems Quizlet is a pretty popular program and used for online learning/test prep, not specifically as a 'test bank' and that if this professor's specific questions had not been on Quizlet, there would be absolutely no taint. I can't see that you did anything wrong prior to the test. But now you're between a rock and a hard place, because not coming forward is not quite ethical.

IMO, the most honorable thing to do would be to go to the professor and tell him/her that you used Quizlet as a study aid, and were shocked to realize that some of the questions you studied from on Quizlet were exactly the same as the exam questions. You were surprised and confused during the exam so didn't come forward until you had a chance to verify/investigate, but now that you have, you wanted to alert the professor that his test had been compromised. S/he may not (almost certainly does not) know his/her tests have been posted online and deserves the chance to change future tests.

What type of resources does your university have for academic integrity? You may want to consult those first -- quickly -- to CYA in case the professor reacts badly. Again, you did nothing wrong intentionally -- the only risk is in remaining silent.

If you are in the middle of doing your MCAT and you come across the same question that you received while doing a Kaplan Q-bank...do you notify the MCAT peoples? :) Seriously...your teacher needs to find better and more original questions to ask. This is a non-factor.

Reactions: 4 users
Ouch, Some schools do have really strict codes of conduct. Ultimately the safest route would have been as to speak with the professor, but since that didn't happen it's up to speculate on outcome at this point.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

At many universities the TAs do exam reviews and in their reviews the questions often resemble the test and test Bank questions are often online these days and profs know it.

So the ethical issue is potentially not coming forward when you see the exact test from online. It's really a coin flip decision. As a prof I'd be ok with a student telling me that my test was online and they studied the questions but didn't realize it was the test and wanted to wait until making sure before approaching me. I'd appreciate it even. But then not all professors feel the same, so OP what you do is up to you. If it blows up then you will wish you had came forward first, but it isn't likely to blow up unless someone stole the test, posted it online, a ton of students got the same responses and truly cheated and then you were lumped in with them and they didn't believe you. Tough situation. Best of luck

Last edited:
If you are in the middle of doing your MCAT and you come across the same question that you received while doing a Kaplan Q-bank...do you notify the MCAT peoples? :) Seriously...your teacher needs to find better and more original questions to ask. This is a non-factor.
Totally agree. Anyone who honestly thinks this is cheating is a stickler. And lame. This is simply the case of a professor being unaware and/or lazy with his test.

Why would practicing using an open source resource be cheating?????

Chill.

Reactions: 5 users
Cheating is using resources other than what is allowed by the conditions of the test when you actually take the test.

It's possible the professor was lazy and administered an open source exam

Cheating is using resources other than what is allowed by the conditions of the test when you actually take the test.

That's a really obscure statement. There's really no 'right definition' of condition. That's where the obscureness comes from. If the source was open and leaked and the professor didn't know about it, is it still considered cheating? Some students could find that source, while others could not.

That's a really obscure statement. There's really no 'right definition' of condition. That's where the obscureness comes from. If the source was open and leaked and the professor didn't know about it, is it still considered cheating? Some students could find that source, while others could not.
Ultimately in this instance the OP imo in no way cheated. Similarly I've use the student study guide from a publisher and the prof used the test bank which was extremely similar. If asked the op should say yes, I use a lot of online study materials and that was one of many.

Again, the only issue I really see is if someone stole the test and put it online and OP gets mixed up in a greater cheating scandal. That could have been avoided after the fact, but wasn't and as a prof I'd say such is life, but not all feel that way. IMO the odds of this being a problem are low so I would let it go. More important things to worry over.

Maybe obscure isn't the word you're looking for. 'Broad' works. 'Generalized' is even better. That I would agree with, as that was my purpose. Work on your vocabulary before you jump out and critique other people's posts, mmkay?

Maybe obscure isn't the word you're looking for. 'Broad' works. 'Generalized' is even better. That I would agree with, as that was my purpose. Work on your vocabulary before you jump out and critique other people's posts, mmkay?

No need to patronize.

Thanks
no its not. continue on in life.

It was slightly more tactful than outright telling you to take a long walk off a short pier, but that's the intent.

Good luck with patients with that attitude. I never criticized your remarks. I was merely adding in my own thoughts to it and how your definition would be considered differently depending on who is reading it.

But good luck making friends that way.

Last edited:
Good luck with patients with that attitude. I never criticized your remarks. I was merely adding in my own thoughts to it and how your definition would be considered differently depending on who is reading it.

But good luck making friends that way.
Oh so wanting to become a physician means I can't tell you to pound sand. Right. Don't bother replying, you're on the ignore list.

Please keep the posts professional and do not instigate arguments. If you see a post that you feel to be against ToS please use the report feature below.

Reactions: 1 users

So basically the school by some magical capacity was able to obtain data from an application, find out the person has used it ( And apparently was the only one who used it at that) and then claim that this was evidence of foul play? I'm not an app maker, but I can't really think of a way this happened unless the school explicitly said no quizlet.

So basically the school by some magical capacity was able to obtain data from an application, find out the person has used it ( And apparently was the only one who used it at that) and then claim that this was evidence of foul play? I'm not an app maker, but I can't really think of a way this happened unless the school explicitly said no quizlet.

If you can't think of how this is possible, then please stop. Don't hurt yourself. Go back to the beginning of the conversation. I never once said that the school obtained data. Not sure what you think you read or how you arrived at that conclusion. The school found out from students who knew that the person used quizlet. It's called snitching if you are curious how it works. Basically you do something and then someone tells on you for doing it. No appmaker skills required to imagine this scenario. And it hardly has anything to do with quizlet anyway. It's about integrity. It's about not admitting that you had seen all the answers online. Open source or not, it makes you look bad to some administrators. It's not like I agree, or think it's likely that OP is going to get caught/disciplined. Just trying to add a true story of relevance, one in which a student was in fact disciplined for not coming forward. please take take this, like any advice I hope you hear on the internet, with a grain of salt.