*Is this an appropriate failure to write about in my secondary?*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lickerwhicker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted for anonymity!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just finished my application cycle so take this with a grain of salt.

This seems good for the failure question. Just take that last sentence's appositive clause out. It makes it sound like that failure crushed you so badly that your new life goal is simply to not make things worse, to break even. Not terribly inspiring when phrased that way.

I would be a little more hesitant about using this as greatest overcoming/adversity/challenge, but for the failure question, if written appropriately, it should work.

Agree with jesie above -- Good for a failure prompt, not good for a greatest challenge prompt. +1 to cutting the word "incompetence" from any part of your app

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Challenge and failure question are essentially the same and I would say this OP's story would be good for either. The actual events of the robotics club failure are not as nearly as important as the personal shortcomings, lack of skill, inexperience, etc that the OP took away and then applying what he/she learned to the Orchestra would be a reasonable essay on the topic

That's very fair. My answer was based on the reflection that the first set of secondary apps I submitted (which answered the challenge prompt with a similar single incidence of failure --> growth) were much less successful than later secondary apps that included a more longstanding, life-encompassing and personal challenge. I obviously can't be sure that that response was the sole killer (my writing also evolved some with time), but I strongly suspect that it played a role. My first response was lacking depth.

If the OP were to highlight reflections on his personal qualities in addition to the events that occurred, they might be able to avoid the same mistake I made initially. That said, I still stand by excluding the word 'incompetence' --it leaves a sour taste in my mouth, especially in a line that can easily be worded more positively

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Anyone care to weigh in on the failure/unsuccessful essay topics I'm considering?
1) Was training for my first marathon (done a half in the past) and failed to complete my training schedule and had to back out due to lack of time and injury. Hoping to get back at it and try again in the next 6 months.

2) Got overcommitted trying to work in two labs at once and do clinical research and had to quit the labs. This topic doesn't seem great to me, but it was an idea I had.

3)I played football through high school, I was terrible and was always benched my first two years. Managed to improve to the point of being a team captain and was recruited by some small colleges.

Options 1 and 2 are weak/uninteresting in my opinion. I'd rather read option 3, everyone loves a good comeback story.

Reactions: 1 user