Is this a losing battle??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DNA-RL

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so i'm a MSIII out of an osteopathic medical school looking to go into ortho at an allopathic institution, i've worked with 2/3 senior residents who will be on the interview board next year when I apply and I got along great with them, they said they were impressed and told me they'll support me if i apply. I also worked with an attending that is 1/4 on the interview comittee and according to the residents very powerful and respected at the institution i want to match into, he was also very impressed and wrote me a very strong evaluation, probably the strongest he's ever given a student, he also said he'll support me and offered to write me a letter. They also told me that my USMLE score is above the cutoff. The only thing left to do now is rotate at the actual allopathic hospital i want to match into for 2 weeks and impress the program director. Do you think it's worth it for me to continue to attempt to match into this allopathic hospital, or do you think that regardless of how i do they will just not accept a DO into such a competitive surgical subspecialty? Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Its definately worth it. I (md student) rotated at a big academic center on the east coast that has never ever ever ever would consider a DO, until two years ago apparently. I was told that this current 2nd year came and rotated and impressed the shiz niz out of everyone so much that they took him, even though they (from what residents tell me) have usually thrown out all FMG as well as DO applicants right off the bat. So I think its definately worth it.

However, on the other hand, I will tell you, watch out in this medical industry. I, as well as many friends, have even been promised certain things like interviews and such and received amazing letters and feedback, only to be kicked in the teeth when interview invites go out. Long story short, you should still apply broadly, and have a back up whatever it may be. Good luck to you.

sscooterguy

My advice, is to meet with that 1/4 guy who you say has a big reputation in Ortho and wrote you a strong letter. Sit down with this guy, tell him that you are very interested in getting a spot in an MD ortho residency and ask him who does he know.... basically ask him if he is a close firend of any of the PD or Chair at the MD programs, then ask him which program does he think you will have the best chance of matching as a D.O., also look at the websites and see if you see any DOs anywhere, then look into those programs, or see if you can find DO trained Orthopods on faculty at the MD places.... Do your homework and then pick 2 places to rotated. This will max your chance to get in. As a DO it is extremlly hard to get an MD spot, that is the bottom line, but it is not impossible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so i'm a MSIII out of an osteopathic medical school looking to go into ortho at an allopathic institution, i've worked with 2/3 senior residents who will be on the interview board next year when I apply and I got along great with them, they said they were impressed and told me they'll support me if i apply. I also worked with an attending that is 1/4 on the interview comittee and according to the residents very powerful and respected at the institution i want to match into, he was also very impressed and wrote me a very strong evaluation, probably the strongest he's ever given a student, he also said he'll support me and offered to write me a letter. They also told me that my USMLE score is above the cutoff. The only thing left to do now is rotate at the actual allopathic hospital i want to match into for 2 weeks and impress the program director. Do you think it's worth it for me to continue to attempt to match into this allopathic hospital, or do you think that regardless of how i do they will just not accept a DO into such a competitive surgical subspecialty? Thank you for your input.

dude, you have to be careful. there are a lot, repeat, a lot of people who will look you right in the eye and tell you that you are wonderful and then they cant/wont come thru for you.

the MD scramble is littered with good applicants who were told that they 'would definitly match here' and they rank 2-4 programs, then get the shaft.

i matched just fine, so dont think this is bitterness talking. seriously tho, i know multiple good guys who were told by someone that they would 'be fine' and they weren't. i think it comes down to that these decisions are made by committee and sometimes the guy who wants to help you cant convicne the rest of the committee or else he chooses not to fight for you--for whatever reason.

just make sure you cover all bases and dont bank on the word of one person.

DB

the MD scramble is littered with good applicants who were told that they 'would definitly match here' and they rank 2-4 programs
Why would anyone leave programs unranked like that? Or is it that they only had this many interviews and put all their gamble on 1 specialty?

Why would anyone leave programs unranked like that? Or is it that they only had this many interviews and put all their gamble on 1 specialty?

neither dude. these are the ppl that are smart, nice, good scores, i.e., highly comptetitive. they get 25-30 interview offers, they are short on cash, long on qualifications, want to hang out with their new wife, and some PD told them 'they would match here' so they dont go on very many interviews. they get 30, go on 3-4. they figure, why go on 10 more when i'll match at my #1?

this is classic, seriously. i have heard this story at least 5-6 times.

neither dude. these are the ppl that are smart, nice, good scores, i.e., highly comptetitive. they get 25-30 interview offers, they are short on cash, long on qualifications, want to hang out with their new wife, and some PD told them 'they would match here' so they dont go on very many interviews. they get 30, go on 3-4. they figure, why go on 10 more when i'll match at my #1?

I second this...I personally know 3 people with this exact story.

As a DO student you will be looked at differently applying to Allopathic programs. Some programs will just throw your application out when they see the DO on your file. Others will view you equally, as long as you're on the same playing field as the other applicants. Ortho is competitive as it is, regardless of DO or MD programs. But the pool of very qualified applicants in the allopathic programs is substantial. I think a DO student will be viewed as equal...therefore given an interview...if you allow them to view you as such.

You've done the right things, taken the USMLE and will rotate at some allopathic programs. I think that as a DO student, the rotation is more significant over MD students. As a DO applicant, you not only have to prove yourself on paper but also in person to truly extinguish any bad connotations that a program might have about DOs. As those of us having gone through the interview process, you cannot understand who will receive interviews. I tend to think that if there is one little thing they like or dislike, it will influence your chances for an offer. For some, the DO on the application can be a reason to throw your application out...regardless of board scores.

I think the best game plan would be to apply to both DO and MD programs and rotate at a few each. As you know, DO programs will give you early feedback about your chances. I would wait to see how many MD interviews you receive before completely withdrawing yourself from the AOA match. For instance, if you get some positive feedback about matching from a DO program there would be no use to risk withdrawing from the AOA match if you only received 1-2 allopathic interviews.

From my experience, I do think that being a DO will limit you from many programs, but not all. You just have to prove yourself on/off paper.

Tough times, tough decisions. Good luck!!!

I've actually heard this too, I see it's not uncommon. But what's the moral of the story? Sometimes these promises do get delivered (or perhaps a coincidence makes it so appear), and the guys will walk around proudly boasting their connections and the "it's not what you know..." song and dance.

Had a good friend in my class who was 240s step I, top 25% of UVA Med, Strong Letters, Research, honors in clinicals, a really nice guy, went on to 15 interviews,.... and got called from 2 PDs that told him he was coming to their program, to go unmatched on "Black Monday". He was the only one out of 7 people in my class that was unmatched. Goes to show you that nothing is for sure.