Is this a good salary offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With salary, benefits, bonus, etc., it is rare NOT to make 100k. I can not place a number on how many, since I haven't read every contract in the country, but although many contracts may not initially pay a starting salary of 100K, with benefits, etc., the total package should reach that number the majority of the time.

Obviously, cost of living in the area and the practice demographics will also play a role in the remuneration.

This is NOT to incite controversey, but a sincere question for Newankle. I think your situation is fantastic and hope that it is the model for young practitioners in the future. However, for some reason I thought that in some states it wasn't possible for DPM's to officially be partners or part owners in a medical practice with MD's. I knew that it was possible to own shares in a corporation, but wasn't sure of the legality in some locations to actually be "partners" in some ventures with MD's. Do you have any idea what I'm referring to or am I mistaken?

Yes, this was the case when I joined this practice however about 6 months ago a law was passed in my state allowing DPMs to become partners/shareholders with MD/DO.

Members don't see this ad.

newankle,

Did you go into this job thinking the law would be changed? Or were you going to be content with being an associate for the rest of your career, not knowing/thinking you would get the opportunity to buy in?

You go on to take shots at his experiences (trying to invalidate it) while boistering about your successes. Why belittle the fact that a podiatrist is a partner in an ortho group? Is it the norm? Of course not. But it is becoming slightly more popular/realistic and newankle's insight into hiring associates in an ortho group is JUST as valuable as your experience in this discussion...which again, just to remind everyone, steered towards when, why and how you should go about hiring an associate. PADPM currently has a large group practice, meaning when his group hires someone it is nothing like what "most of the rest of us have to deal with." I don't see you jumping on any of his posts. It makes you sound bitter/jealous that newankle works with orthos and you don't, and every accomplishment you drop on this thread is only going to add to that perception.

I'm pointing out that newankle's experience "helping" to run a huge ortho practice and actually running your own solo practice or even group podiatry practice is nothing alike. You don't know what PADPM's practice goes through when evaluating the need to hire an associate do you? If you read PADPM's posts carefully you will see that he agrees with me that Newankle's situation isn't the norm and he is in a very unique situation.

I am not saying that for others Newankle's experiences aren't valuable at all. Take what you want from either of our experiences. I don't think his situation is reasonable for the average resident getting out of residency to expect to have. So if you want to argue about the top 0.01% of people getting out, that's fine. What about you? What are you going to do? What if you don't get that 0.01% opportunity?

Also as I've pointed out, most in private practice running a business don't decide when its time to hire an associate. Their accountants and attorneys do.

Whether you think I'm bitter or jealous is immaterial to this discussion. What I tried to show was that I actually have successful real world experience in the realm of not only podiatric medicine and surgery, but also in business. I give out this advice to colleagues for free. Maybe one day you'll pay for good business advice. Maybe one day you'll inadvertently be given my name, since I don't charge and have helped people succeed because I like to help.

I think what I had to offer in this thread has passed as it seems its turning into a potshot gallery which is not the intention here at all. Take what you want from what I've posted. If it suits your needs, great. If it doesn't, also great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kidsfeet said:
I'm pointing out that newankle's experience "helping" to run a huge ortho practice and actually running your own solo practice or even group podiatry practice is nothing alike

Exactly. You are the one who is always saying..."This is an equal and open forum for us to share ideas". The fact that they are nothing alike is what makes this message board worthwhile...

Kidsfeet said:
You don't know what PADPM's practice goes through when evaluating the need to hire an associate do you?

Again. That's the point. It's different than what newankle evaluates, it's different than what you evaluate, and it is equally valuable. You belittled and criticized one post for being different yet said nothing about someone elses situation which is obviously different...wonder why lol. I don't know what PADPM looks at, that's why I read the forums and ask questions. How about we let everyone comment on their own practices/experiences instead of coming on here and trying to be the king d*** who helps everyone and knows everything.

Kidsfeet said:
I don't think his situation is reasonable for the average resident getting out of residency to expect to have.

Neither is your situtation. Maybe it's a little more common for a resident to move to a new town where they know nobody and hang up their own shingle...but not by much. Notice that nobody came on here and criticezed your practice for being unique

Kidsfeet said:
What I tried to show was that I actually have successful real world experience in the realm of not only podiatric medicine and surgery, but also in business. I give out this advice to colleagues for free. Maybe one day you'll pay for good business advice. Maybe one day you'll inadvertently be given my name, since I don't charge and have helped people succeed because I like to help.

There it is again. Nobody challenged your credibility yet you continue to tout your vast experience/knowledge. That is the definition of posturing...

newankle,

Did you go into this job thinking the law would be changed? Or were you going to be content with being an associate for the rest of your career, not knowing/thinking you would get the opportunity to buy in?

I was promised if the law didn't change by 2 years with the practice they would work something out financially to compensate me similarly. I love what I do and where I work so I think I'd stay as an associate if I needed to but job security would be my main concern.

70K with 10% bonus after $200,000 collected. What questions should I ask? Thanks

doc1107,

Since the thread seems to have gotten away from the original question I thought I would briefly offer you my two cents. I haven't posted in quite some time and while I get a little tired of all the $ talk on this forum, you deserve to hear from multiple opinions on the issue. The offer you received in my opinion is insulting and if I were you I would be straightforward in saying so to the offering physician. He probably already knows that, but if not he needs to hear it. Unfortunately there are residents who graduate not knowing what they are worth and one of them will probably accept the offer eventually if you do not. Many of the seasoned podiatrists know this and so they continue to offer new graduates ridiculously small salaries. The insulting offer is usually accompanied by a tough luck story about how they had to pay their dues when they started and would have loved an offer like they are giving you. I encountered it many times early in my job search.

The most important thing you can do when looking for a new position is to know what you are worth and if you truly believe it, don't be willing to settle. Come up with a number that you think is fair based on your skills and what you are willing to do, then find a group that is willing to pay you what you are worth. Another problem with recent grads besides not knowing what they are worth is not knowing where to look. Far too many residents wait for the perfect job to fall in their lap and then when it doesn't they are suddenly out of time and settle for the insulting job offer that no-one wanted. Once you know what you want you have to be an advocate for yourself and approach the pod, ortho or multispecialty groups you are interested in and sell yourself.

As far as what is fair, you will ultimately have to decide for yourself. There are many references out there like the young members survey, MGMA book etc. Personally, I believe if you are 2-3 yr trained at a respectable program you should not even consider less than 120K and that should be with a fair bonus structure (somewhere around 30-50% of collections after 2-2.5 times your base). If you are offered less than that it means the group you are speaking with doesn't understand your earning potential because they are not making enough themselves or they are looking for someone to make money off of and not a long term partner. Don't ever let anyone try to tell you that because they are offering to pay your license fees, malpractice etc. that you should take that into consideration to help you get over your disgust at a bad offer. Frankly those things are standard for physicians regardless of specialty and to say otherwise is a joke. Things you could start a new job without such as a moving allowance or signing bonus are perks, malpractice insurance is not.

Again, this is just my opinion based on my experience, that of my co-residents and recent graduates. Of the current 3rd yr residents at my program one accepted a fellowship offer and the other 3 of us signed for various amounts, the lowest at 180K and all including bonus structures similar to what I described above. I joined a pod group by the way, so don't let someone tell you that only an ortho group can pay you what you want either. I only posted this to give you another perspective from a guy coming out of residency. I am sure there are plenty of regulars on this forum who will disagree for one reason or another, but I hope this helps. Good luck in the job search and I hope you find a great opportunity. There really are plenty of them out there if you look!

With salary, benefits, bonus, etc., it is rare NOT to make 100k. I can not place a number on how many, since I haven't read every contract in the country, but although many contracts may not initially pay a starting salary of 100K, with benefits, etc., the total package should reach that number the majority of the time.

Obviously, cost of living in the area and the practice demographics will also play a role in the remuneration.

This is NOT to incite controversey, but a sincere question for Newankle. I think your situation is fantastic and hope that it is the model for young practitioners in the future. However, for some reason I thought that in some states it wasn't possible for DPM's to officially be partners or part owners in a medical practice with MD's. I knew that it was possible to own shares in a corporation, but wasn't sure of the legality in some locations to actually be "partners" in some ventures with MD's. Do you have any idea what I'm referring to or am I mistaken?

I think he answered it on how some states laws have changed. So it all depends on what state. I don't know why that law is in the books in the first place? and is there a list?

doc1107,

Since the thread seems to have gotten away from the original question I thought I would briefly offer you my two cents. I haven't posted in quite some time and while I get a little tired of all the $ talk on this forum, you deserve to hear from multiple opinions on the issue. The offer you received in my opinion is insulting and if I were you I would be straightforward in saying so to the offering physician. He probably already knows that, but if not he needs to hear it. Unfortunately there are residents who graduate not knowing what they are worth and one of them will probably accept the offer eventually if you do not. Many of the seasoned podiatrists know this and so they continue to offer new graduates ridiculously small salaries. The insulting offer is usually accompanied by a tough luck story about how they had to pay their dues when they started and would have loved an offer like they are giving you. I encountered it many times early in my job search.

The most important thing you can do when looking for a new position is to know what you are worth and if you truly believe it, don't be willing to settle. Come up with a number that you think is fair based on your skills and what you are willing to do, then find a group that is willing to pay you what you are worth. Another problem with recent grads besides not knowing what they are worth is not knowing where to look. Far too many residents wait for the perfect job to fall in their lap and then when it doesn't they are suddenly out of time and settle for the insulting job offer that no-one wanted. Once you know what you want you have to be an advocate for yourself and approach the pod, ortho or multispecialty groups you are interested in and sell yourself.

As far as what is fair, you will ultimately have to decide for yourself. There are many references out there like the young members survey, MGMA book etc. Personally, I believe if you are 2-3 yr trained at a respectable program you should not even consider less than 120K and that should be with a fair bonus structure (somewhere around 30-50% of collections after 2-2.5 times your base). If you are offered less than that it means the group you are speaking with doesn't understand your earning potential because they are not making enough themselves or they are looking for someone to make money off of and not a long term partner. Don't ever let anyone try to tell you that because they are offering to pay your license fees, malpractice etc. that you should take that into consideration to help you get over your disgust at a bad offer. Frankly those things are standard for physicians regardless of specialty and to say otherwise is a joke. Things you could start a new job without such as a moving allowance or signing bonus are perks, malpractice insurance is not.

Again, this is just my opinion based on my experience, that of my co-residents and recent graduates. Of the current 3rd yr residents at my program one accepted a fellowship offer and the other 3 of us signed for various amounts, the lowest at 180K and all including bonus structures similar to what I described above. I joined a pod group by the way, so don't let someone tell you that only an ortho group can pay you what you want either. I only posted this to give you another perspective from a guy coming out of residency. I am sure there are plenty of regulars on this forum who will disagree for one reason or another, but I hope this helps. Good luck in the job search and I hope you find a great opportunity. There really are plenty of them out there if you look!

I agree with most of the above and especially agree that the resident can be their own enemy. Our residents are here for 3 years and it amazes me how many start their search in the last 6 months. They haven't even asked themselves what kind of practice style do they want, how much income they need to even break even with their debt/living expenses, where they and their family want to live, researched DPM/ortho saturation, let alone the opportunities that may exist there. Many seem to think some local DPM will be honored to have them or depend purely on ads in the APMA News or on Barry Block. They do not network and God forbid if the information doesn't pop up in a Google search. All the while they vacation each year in Mexico and "need their weekends free".

Attendings are just as guilty. They will call me in May and ask "Do you have any good ones?" By then the "good ones" (people who have done their homework and were excellent residents as well) are already locked in. I get questions like: "What are these kids getting?" "Do you think I need an associate?" "What is my practice worth, I am guessing a million?'
When I answer many try to argue with me and are calling next year looking again, confused as to why one these kids would not be honored to join their practice.

Combine the resident I described with the attending mentioned above and you can see a recipe for disaster!

Last edited:
I agree with most of the above and especially agree that the resident can be their own enemy. Our residents are here for 3 years and it amazes me how many start their search in the last 6 months. They haven't even asked themselves what kind of practice style do they want, how much income they need to even break even with their debt/living expenses, where they and their family want to live, researched DPM/ortho saturation, let alone the opportunities that may exist there. Many seem to think some local DPM will be honored to have them or depend purely on ads in the APMA News or on Barry Block. They do not network and God forbid if the information doesn't pop up in a Google search. All the while they vaction each year in Mexico and "need their weekends free".

Attendings are just as guilty. They will call me in May and ask "Do you have any good ones?" By then the "good ones" (people who have done their homework and were excellent residents as well) are already locked in. I get questions like: "What are these kids getting?" "Do you think I need an associate?" "What is my practice worth, I am guessing a million?'
When I answer many try to argue with me and are calling next year looking again, confused as to why one these kids would not be honored to join their practice.

Combine the resident I described with the attending mentioned above and you can see a recipe for disaster!

This blows my mind.

This blows my mind.

I don't think it's that uncommon to start looking seriously in the final 6 months. You should always be networking and exploring practice types to find out what interests you, but I think it's hard to seriously look for a job much earlier than 6 months.

If a practice or group is hiring, they likely don't want to wait 6+ months for a graduate IF there are others that are equally qualified and can start sooner.

I disagree as the employer. We start looking almost a year in advance for two important reasons. Or at LEAST 9 months. It can take up to 2 months in some states to obtain a license and up to 6 months to get credentialled on some insurance plans. It can take up to 3 months or longer to obtain surgical priviliges at hospitals

We will not allow a new aasociate to treat a patient in our office until he or she is on the insurance panels. Some practices hire first and THEN get the doc on the insurance panels which can be less than "kosher". These practices let the new doc treat a patient and bill it under an existing doc. We don't do that.

Therefore, we NEED the time to get all the necessary paperwork in order so the doc can start treating patients and working in the hospital from day one. (Legally).

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's that uncommon to start looking seriously in the final 6 months. You should always be networking and exploring practice types to find out what interests you, but I think it's hard to seriously look for a job much earlier than 6 months.

If a practice or group is hiring, they likely don't want to wait 6+ months for a graduate IF there are others that are equally qualified and can start sooner.

Yes finalization of plans will occur in the last 6 months. However, you should to start the self analysis ASAP. As you mature as a resident you need to slowly begin to focus on the process, network, and do your homework. IMO once you have a good idea of where you would like to practice, initiating contact early in your third year of DPMs, hospitals, orthopedic practices, and multi-specialty groups is a good idea since the investigation, interviews, contract negotiation, and eventual move take longer than most realize. Networking and checking out geographic areas early may help you answer questions and help with the third year job search.

All that said, learning should be your main focus but please do not try to put it all together in six months while still in the middle of a hectic third year and tons to still learn.

Last edited:
Also, just to add to the madness that is your final year of residency, don't forget you should also be reviewing for your upcoming Board Exam.

Finding a job/setting up practice, potentially moving to a new location (with everything that goes along with that, especially if you have a family), and studying for boards!! Oy vey! Lots to do!

Also, just to add to the madness that is your final year of residency, don't forget you should also be reviewing for your upcoming Board Exam.

Finding a job/setting up practice, potentially moving to a new location (with everything that goes along with that, especially if you have a family), and studying for boards!! Oy vey! Lots to do!

I started looking for a job the moment my 3rd year started but had been "testing the waters" since spring of my second year. I signed in January of my 3rd year. I took part III boards the end of my 2nd year and ABPS boards the end of my 3rd year.

I started looking halfway through my second year and I'm really glad I did. While you will get some people who are looking to hire before you can come out, if you do find what you want and sign early there are some definite perks. Besides having the peace of mind that you know where you are going and being able to focus on your training, you can get a signing bonus/stipend which goes a long way when you are living on a resients salary. Also you can get part 3 boards and even your ABPS part 1 exams paid for which is roughly $2,500 you would otherwise have to try to come up with as a resident. Depends on your group and what they are willing to pay for of course.

I started looking halfway through my second year and I'm really glad I did. While you will get some people who are looking to hire before you can come out, if you do find what you want and sign early there are some definite perks. Besides having the peace of mind that you know where you are going and being able to focus on your training, you can get a signing bonus/stipend which goes a long way when you are living on a resients salary. Also you can get part 3 boards and even your ABPS part 1 exams paid for which is roughly $2,500 you would otherwise have to try to come up with as a resident. Depends on your group and what they are willing to pay for of course.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

There are simply TOO many variables to give a simple answer. The bottom line is to take the best possible offer you can get.

I don't have the time right now to get into details, but later tonight I will right a detailed post regarding this topic.

While I agree that paying dues, malpractice, etc., for a new associate is not "special" and is part of almost all packages, it is still an expense that has to be added to the equation when figuring out how much an associate will cost a practice.

Billing practices, ethics and local reimbursements in the area also play a major role. I will elaborate later.

I wanted to elaborate more on the complicated answer regarding starting salaries of new associates. There are numbers quoted all over the spectrum, from insultingly low offers to offers so high it boggles my mind as a partner in a successful practice, how any group can afford to offer a starting salary that generous.

One important factor everyone has to consider is happiness in addition to salary. I have a friend who makes about $225,000 a year who does NOTHING but cut toenails all day long in nursing homes. I personally would go crazy going bed to bed 8 hours a day and would settle for a salary 1/2 that amount to be able to perform surgery and do what made me happy. You also must feel comfortable in the practice you are in, and must be comfortable with their billing practices, ethical practices, etc.

I personally walked away from a very lucrative situation many years ago when I realized the less than honest billing practices that were taking place, etc., etc. It didn't have any impact on ME, but I didn't want to be associated with that type of practice. I would also listen to some of the doctors talk patients into unneccessary procedures, etc., that once again didn't impact ME, but was simply wrong.

I've also stated many times that geographic area plays a role, and I'm not sure that some people "buy" that statement, but here are a few examples why an associate in some areas may not be offered a starting salary as high as other areas;

-the cost of malpractice in some areas can be up to $25,000 whereas in other areas the same coverage can be $4,000. Do the math.

-insurance contracts can differ significantly. Certain cities or areas in Pennsylvania are heavy with capitation and doctors are paid literally pennies per patient/per visit, and in other areas in the SAME state the insurance companies pay fee for service.

-some states insurance companies do not pay for physical therapy provided in DPM offices, while in other offices PT services are SO lucrative they actually have a PT in the office.

-some states have very tough rules regarding the billing of peripheral vascular testing, while in other states DPM's are making a killing billing for these services for patients who need testing.

-Many docs are enhancing their income by utilizing diagnostic ultrasound in their office. Some states have greatly limited radiographic reimbursement for office diagnostic studies, and some are not paying for office ultrasound.

-If you happen to practice in a state with MULTIPLE restrictions, you can still make a decent living, but you may have to work a little harder. That's why you have to do your homework

-As stated several times already, Kidsfeet had the opportunity to visit our office(s) and observe at least 5 of our docs "at work". I don't have to tell you about our "operation" or the number of patients that we treat daily, he can tell you himself. However, despite the fact that we ALL work hard, are beyond busy, etc., we probably don't make as much money as other practices seeing 1/2 the patients we do, simply due to our "location".

I'm NOT complaining, it's simply a fact. However, we're not going to pick up our practice and move it 2,000 miles to triple our income. All the partners in our practice are well aware of the fact that if we were located somewhere else, we probably could all be retired by now and would all be VERY wealthy.

Once again, I'm not complaining, just stating the facts. Despite the fact that we are very successful and busy, we can't afford to offer a new associate the "huge bucks". We have just asked another doctor to join our practice and we are putting together a package for him. It will be fair, but we are also counting on this doctor to realize that he has a future with our practice. Our intention is not to bring him on board temporarily, but as a permanent doc on the road to partner. However, he will always have the opportunity to decline our offer and seek a better offer financially.

One final note. Keep your eyes open when joining or visiting any new practice. It is VERY easy to make money, but a "little" more difficult to always do it honestly and ethically. There have been many smaller practices than ours in our area that SEEMED to make a ton of money, with huge ads, huge starting salaries for the associates, etc., etc., and many if not all of them eventually were brought up on some form of fraud charges.

So I urge ALL young docs to keep their integrity and always keep your eyes open to make sure that you don't get caught up in something unknowingly that can ruin your reputation for the remainder of your career.

Seek out the best contract you can, but also seek out what will ultimately make you happy, and that's NOT always the highest dollar amount.

Last edited:
Seek out the best contract you can, but also seek out what will ultimately make you happy, and that's NOT always the highest dollar amount.

Awesome post. On a side note, I think Pujols will be happy making 30 mil for 10 years.

Interesting to hear a fully fleshed out version, thanks for taking the time PADPM.

awesome post. I am certainly thankful for having such great residents and attending on this forum to educate us young ones. cheers to you folks.

PADPM is the real deal. Everyone can learn from his experience and insight.

I'm younger than him and somewhat more brash and sometimes my message doesn't come across as clearly as his do, and believe it or not, I'm trying to learn from HIM about how to alter my communication on these forums to relay my messages in a less obtrusive manner. "Posturing" and such.

When I visited with him and his partners I learned a tremendous amount about how to run an office even more efficiently than I already do. Never stop learning. That is the cornerstone of success truly.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, that was not the post I was expecting. Great insight, excellent advice :thumbup:

I'm afraid to ask what you expected. That may open a can of worms I don't want to know about, so I'll leave well enough alone.

I started looking halfway through my second year and I'm really glad I did. While you will get some people who are looking to hire before you can come out, if you do find what you want and sign early there are some definite perks...
...You should always be networking and exploring practice types to find out what interests you, but I think it's hard to seriously look for a job much earlier than 6 months.

Yes finalization of plans will occur in the last 6 months. However, you should to start the self analysis ASAP. As you mature as a resident you need to slowly begin to focus on the process, network, and do your homework. IMO once you have a good idea of where you would like to practice, initiating contact early in your third year of DPMs, hospitals, orthopedic practices, and multi-specialty groups is a good idea since the investigation, interviews, contract negotiation, and eventual move take longer than most realize. Networking and checking out geographic areas early may help you answer questions and help with the third year job search.

All that said, learning should be your main focus but please do not try to put it all together in six months while still in the middle of a hectic third year and tons to still learn.
I would agree with all of the above: start laying the groundwork early. 75+% of jobs are never advertised, and you want to get to know the people you are considering working for/with.

I'm a year behind gusty (mid pgy2), and I've been contacting groups, meeting with docs, and talking to office managers in the areas I think I'd like to practice. I've learned something from every meeting. Some are actively hiring/advertising and usually want somebody sooner than I'd be available, some are not looking (but still happy to help me by discussing local pod practice climate), and some are or might be hiring in the future.

I've met aging practitioners on eyeing retirement, younger guys who started up their own, large groups, small groups, and everything inbetween. It's really interesting to see the different practice models: some see a high volume of common pod ailments, others focus on lower volume but complex services/surgeries, some have adopted almost a spa theme to cater to self pay and well insured patients. The common denominator you're obviously looking for during the visits is that most/all of the (competent) practitioners in the area are doing well in terms of satisfaction/income, DPM privileging in area hospitals is full scope (based on training), etc.

I would agree with gavin and Podfather that you *generally* don't start reviewing contracts and talking about official compensation until ~6-9mo or fewer before residency graduation, though. While it is absolutely of benefit to sign early and begin hospital/insurance paperwork at least 4-6mo prior to start date, things do change and nobody (on either side) usually wants to prematurely limit their options. The state license is something I'd go ahead with, though; that is a relatively small cost in the scheme of things and shows practices that you are really planning to head to the area and not simply "testing the waters."

Is there a chance I might find a late dark horse offer somewhere else and thus have "wasted" all of the phone calls, email exchanges, practice visits, state lic fee, etc? Doubtful. Even if I don't end up signing with any of the groups I've visited or will visit, I still get a glimpse into a successful practice and insight from experienced practitioners each time I make visits. Especially if I end up in my target areas, I will know some of my colleagues who I will surely run into again at hospital meetings, CME events, etc.

GL

Last edited:
I will not be entering the job market for many years, but I was wondering how one would go about networking in the area they want to practice. Do you utilize state or local organizations? Do you just make cold calls?

I will not be entering the job market for many years, but I was wondering how one would go about networking in the area they want to practice. Do you utilize state or local organizations? Do you just make cold calls?
All of the above. Look up the APMA component rep in your area on the state APMA website, contact APMA mentors ( http://www.aacpm.org/contactpod/default.asp ), go to CME events in the area, google around and make cold calls/emails asking to visit the office, etc. Like any business, once you start shaking hands with a few pods in the area, your networking base snowballs.

Is there a chance I might find a late dark horse offer somewhere else and thus have "wasted" all of the phone calls, email exchanges, practice visits, state lic fee, etc? Doubtful. Even if I don't end up signing with any of the groups I've visited or will visit, I still get a glimpse into a successful practice and insight from experienced practitioners each time I make visits. Especially if I end up in my target areas, I will know some of my colleagues who I will surely run into again at hospital meetings, CME events, etc.

I applaud you for having this attitude. It is never a waste of time to network, meet new people and learn new things. Much success to you.

Go to a state or local CME in the area you want to practice. Most have a deal for residents. Stop by the local hospital and meet the physician liason or administrator who handles recruitment. They can introduce you to DPMs and orthopods on staff and may even offer you a recruitment package. Call the local chamber of commerce. They can provide all kind of stats for their area such as population growth/loss, demographics, hospital information, and even traffic counts on locations. They may have a desire to help you come to their town and provide incentives.

Two interesting articles related to the topics in this thread in the February 2011 Issue of Podiatry Management.

"Traits of Successful People" on page 41 is a one page article which is an interesting look at the beginnings of what personality traits lead to success.

"Bringing on an Associate or Additional Associates" on page 143 is a look at some basic issues discussed in this thread.

Disclaimer: I don't represent, work or get paid by Podiatry Management to do this. I was reading this morning and thought it might be interesting for some to see what others say about these topics.

Happy Reading!!

Wow I didn't expect so many replies!

I was trying to find the job offer so I can copy and paste it on here but it seem to have been taken down!

I have decided to sign on for another year with my current practice. It wasn't that I was not satisfied, I just wanted to get out of this cold!

Which brings me to another general question, Which regions of the US do you feel like more receptive to Pods? I know NY isn't the best and has a reputation of not being doctors by the older generation of the general public.

Also, scope of practice obviously plays a role. I hear Florida isn't bad?