Is this a good plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EarthtoneJon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Per advice of a poster in the MCAT discussion room, I am re-posting this here. I hope that's alright!

Let me start off with my stats, so you can gauge my predicament.

3.98 GPA (4.0 non-science, 3.97 science)
25 P MCAT (9/8/8)
ECs: I've been told from most I've consulted that my work experience and extra curriculars are pretty good. You decide: 2 years working as nurse aide, 7 years working as camp counselor, hundreds of hours tutoring / mentoring, shadowing experience (complete with letter of recommendation), medical director of non-profit camp for blind youths, basketball player / coach, campus involvement, etc. I also recently won the Barnard Award, which is given to 12 students in the state of CT for academics and leadership.

Here is my idea. I want to apply to medical schools (a few MD and a few DO) this June. Then, while my applications are already in, I want to study all summer for an August retake. I am not applying to top tier schools (the most lofty being UCONN). The reason I want to do this is because my schedule is too rigorous for an April or May retake. And, if I don't devote the necessary time and energy, I'll likely end up with a similar score. The first time, I only studied for 40 days, and it showed. I know I can do better (28-32) with adequate preparation, as some of my practice tests showed.

So, the question is, is it OK to have one set of scores in to medical schools, and have them receive an improved set later in the cycle? How are my chances with this plan? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think with that GPA you'll be fine doing what you intended, one set of scores now and one later. But unless you are able to get above a 30 it really won't matter!

Good job on you GPA, that must have been a lot of work and I suspect you will have a good turn out!!!

Per advice of a poster in the MCAT discussion room, I am re-posting this here. I hope that's alright!

Let me start off with my stats, so you can gauge my predicament.

3.98 GPA (4.0 non-science, 3.97 science)
25 P MCAT (9/8/8)
ECs: I've been told from most I've consulted that my work experience and extra curriculars are pretty good. You decide: 2 years working as nurse aide, 7 years working as camp counselor, hundreds of hours tutoring / mentoring, shadowing experience (complete with letter of recommendation), medical director of non-profit camp for blind youths, basketball player / coach, campus involvement, etc. I also recently won the Barnard Award, which is given to 12 students in the state of CT for academics and leadership.

Here is my idea. I want to apply to medical schools (a few MD and a few DO) this June. Then, while my applications are already in, I want to study all summer for an August retake. I am not applying to top tier schools (the most lofty being UCONN). The reason I want to do this is because my schedule is too rigorous for an April or May retake. And, if I don't devote the necessary time and energy, I'll likely end up with a similar score. The first time, I only studied for 40 days, and it showed. I know I can do better (28-32) with adequate preparation, as some of my practice tests showed.

So, the question is, is it OK to have one set of scores in to medical schools, and have them receive an improved set later in the cycle? How are my chances with this plan? Any advice greatly appreciated.
You will have the same effect on your application as applying in September would have. You need to indicate on your application that you are taking the MCAT in August, which will result in schools putting your applciation on hold until the new scores are in. A school that would consider you if you applied with your current scores if you applied in June wouldn't even look at your application until the new scores are available, which might end up being too late. As a disclaimer, I am not positive that no schools anywhere will look at your application until the new scores are in, but that is the general rule I have heard multiple times.

If you get a good MCAT score, you might gain more acceptances by applying in September with the new score than you would by not re-taking the exam, but if you don't do as well as you expect, you are shooting yourself in the foot as far as applications go by waiting so long.

The real questions come down to, how confident are you that you would do better, is there any way to push the MCAT up earlier and still do that well, how badly do you want to go to an MD school over a DO school you may have an excellent chance at right now, and are you willing to re-apply next cycle if your application is too late to get you an acceptance?

Is dropping a class or two this semester to dedicate time to MCAT prep possible? With your strong GPA I doubt a couple W's would be an application killer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take MCAT earlier than august. I'd say July at the latest b/c it takes a month to get back. Also you may not want to submit to many MD schools with a 25. You could always start out with just a few schools and add more when you get ur MCAT back. That way you don't have to wait to be verified.

Take MCAT earlier than august. I'd say July at the latest b/c it takes a month to get back. Also you may not want to submit to many MD schools with a 25. You could always start out with just a few schools and add more when you get ur MCAT back. That way you don't have to wait to be verified.
If you want the best shot at MD schools, I'd agree with this suggestion. You really don't want to go through a third cycle.

Is dropping a class or two this semester to dedicate time to MCAT prep possible? With your strong GPA I doubt a couple W's would be an application killer.
Theseeker4's idea is one to consider. Alternatively drop way back on the hours given to work and/or extracurriculars, which are already terrific, so you can give more time to MCAT study now.

Get a 32+ and you are good for top 30 schools in probable interviews.

Thanks everybody,

I have 90% of the MCAT content down. Most of my time would be invested in developing critical thinking and test taking skills. That being said, I could reasonably take the MCAT in July. June, I feel, would be pushing it. I cannot cut back on credits at school, as it would prevent me from graduating. ECs can definitely be cut.

In another thread, a poster pointed out that this plan would be helped by me keeping in touch with the medical schools- in other words, asserting my interest in their program, explaining that I am currently working to improve my MCAT score for this cycle. Sound right?

In another thread, a poster pointed out that this plan would be helped by me keeping in touch with the medical schools- in other words, asserting my interest in their program, explaining that I am currently working to improve my MCAT score for this cycle. Sound right?
It's a fine idea, but keep in mind that all schools don't allow supplemental submissions like update letters.

As theseeker4 said, it's also important that your AMCAS aplication state the date of your last planned MCAT (one of the few places that can be edited after submission) so that your application won't be rejected before the new score comes back.

Last edited:
Ok, so make sure I indicate on my June application that I'm taking the MCAT in July?