This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatNanym

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a prospective job in community HemOnc. Small town Midwest. Base of $495k guaranteed plus RVU-based incentive after 5050 RVUs at $99/RVU. Around 12-15 patients per day in clinic, 4.5 days a week. 1:3 call, call is one full week, am told call is light, mostly ~1-2 phone calls at night, and ~4-5 consults over the weekend. No acute leuks or complex malignant heme, they get referred to academic center next town. 30 days PTO. Epic EMR. 45k sign on bonus. Is this a decent offer in your opinion? Would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Aside from the call and 4.5 day schedule, yes.
Thank you, @gutonc. Appreciate your input. I don't have a good idea about how call is in community practice. If it is a smaller-sized cancer center attached to a 150-bed hospital, with the infusion center being closed on weekends, would being on call for a week at a stretch be that difficult? I am told hospitalists admit patients and are good at managing most routine things for the onc patients. Is being on call for an entire week, and having 1:3 call frequency deal-breakers in your opinion, or is it usual to see this in other community practices? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Base $495K --- Very good
$99/RVU- About right for the midwest
5050RVU- Achievable, perhaps a little of higher treshold
$45K sign-on bonus-- Very good
12-15 patient--Very good (Approximately the # pts a fellow sees in the half-day clinic)

4.5 days per Week-- Ok (BTW, It seems Fridays are half-days regardless by design due to lack of support staff. Even busy cancer center clinics look abandoned on Friday afternoons. )

3:1 Call - Yikes (Ok if there're plans on adding a physician)

If you like being in a small town Midwest and happy with the organization treatment of current physicians then this sounds a good first oncology gig.

Reactions: 2 users
Base $495K --- Very good
$99/RVU- About right for the midwest
5050RVU- Achievable, perhaps a little of higher treshold
$45K sign-on bonus-- Very good
12-15 patient--Very good (Approximately the # pts a fellow sees in the half-day clinic)

4.5 days per Week-- Ok (BTW, It seems Fridays are half-days regardless by design due to lack of support staff. Even busy cancer center clinics look abandoned on Friday afternoons. )

3:1 Call - Yikes (Ok if there're plans on adding a physician)

If you like being in a small town Midwest and happy with the organization treatment of current physicians then this sounds a good first oncology gig.
Thank you very much. With my addition it will be 1:4 call.