Is this a bad route? thoughts and advice please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

negropremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For my freshmen year of college I basically effed around alot and got a D in gen bio for both semesters. But I have a all A's and B's in other gen ed courses and some grad-level classes as part of a dual-degree teaching program. (I no longer wanna be a teacher anymore though)

I have done gen chem I for summer school and got a C, but I am currently taking gen chem II in summer school and an A is looking achievable based on my progress so far.

I attended a private university and since private universities are expensive I am leaving to attend a community college for financial and family reasons. In this CC I have the opportunity to take o-chem, retake gen bio and do other courses for a TAG program to get into UC Davis. The TAG means that if I can maintain at least a 3.2 GPA at the CC for 2 years I get a guaranteed admission into UC davis as a bio or biochem major.

If I make more progress towards all A's in science courses and possibly maintain a 4.0 in the community college and do well at UC Davis will med school still be within reach?

I appreciate any good feedback or advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
the general consensus is to not take any of your pre-req's from community colleges...soo yeah i'd say its a bad route

I've heard that taking prereqs at community college isn't a good idea. but its the only way I have to take those classes to get into UC davis for the major i want. I don't know what else I would do...

If you do them at a CC, it's fine-I've seen plenty to have been accepted while taking them at a CC. HOWEVER, once you make it into Davis, you need to show that you can play the game on upper-division science courses, esp the cell bio/micro, etc.

Just make sure your CC grades are lights-out good.

once in uc davs, you need to really maitain ur gpa while at the same time maintain the academic vigor of upper level calsses