Is there any recommended texts for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lialalala

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done some research and think using different resources for different subjects would be a good idea.
What I have found so far is that the Berkley Review for chem and physics, I found Reddit flashcard for psych and sociology, kaplan for biochem, and review exam cracker.
Is there any other suggestion for MCAT study resources?

Members don't see this ad.

The texts that you outlined are fine but it may be difficult to acquire parts of so many sets. If so, I would recommend opting for a set of TBR for gem chem, physics, Orgo, and biology as a resource for passage based practice questions (I would not purchase psych/soc or cars). It also might be useful to get a used set of Kaplan books for quick reference (I will concede that the TBR bio/biochem book is a bit tedious but the passages are strong and make it worthwhile). Besides those resources, I highly recommend my students get a subscription of UWorld, purchase some third party practice MCAT exams (Blueprint/Nextstep are what I use most frequently but other companies are fine with the exception of Kaplan), and buy all of the AAMC resources.

As I've posted elsewhere, the MCAT is less a content/fact recall test and more of a reasoning/critical thinking test that is based on foundational biological, chemical, and physical concepts. For this reason, active studying techniques such as practice questions/passages, drawing concept maps, creating analogies of processes, etc is a much more effective way of studying than passively reviewing texts. Ideally, one creates a study plan that reflects this with a significant emphasis on practice passages and questions as opposed to review books/videos. I typically recommend somewhere between 1/4-1/3 content review (with passage based practice) with 3/4-2/3 dedicated to practice through World, 3rd party mcat exams, and AAMC materials.

Reactions: 1 users
Kaplan and Khan Academy did the wonders for my prep. Prep materials are different by person, but as long as you put in the time you should be acquiring the knowledge necessary for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there! The best MCAT study resources are the ones of the AAMC. It is, after all, the organization that administers the test, so you know you will be practicing with realistic materials. The AAMC offers question packs for each section of the MCAT, including two volumes for the CARS section, each containing 120 passages and questions. Practicing with these materials will allow you to gauge your true performance level and work to improve it before your test. If the passages you use to practice aren’t as complicated or challenging to read as those found on the actual exam, you will be developing your critical analysis and reasoning skills at a lower level, which will ultimately be detrimental to your MCAT score. This being said, take into account that these materials alone do not expose you to everything you need to be aware of. If you are only briefly exposed to humanities and social science texts through CARS preparation, for instance, you are far less likely to do well on CARS. Practicing with test materials only, limits your ability to become comfortable with CARS texts, BUT extending your practice to other, similar written materials will allow you to get additional growth in your critical thinking and reasoning skills. Consider reading about classic literature, journal articles, and other readily available texts like The New Yorker, The Economist, The New York Times, Humanities and Social Science Journal Articles, or even literary classics like Ernest Hemingway, Oscar Wilde, George Orwell, or Margaret Atwood. Whatever you chose, make sure you read diverse and challenging materials. Hope this helps!

I have done some research and think using different resources for different subjects would be a good idea.
What I have found so far is that the Berkley Review for chem and physics, I found Reddit flashcard for psych and sociology, kaplan for biochem, and review exam cracker.
Is there any other suggestion for MCAT study resources?

I've got Kaplan set (I'm going to use for biochem and maybe bio,) new set
TBR set ( going to use for orgo, gen chem, physics) ( eBay used )
I've got EK set I'm going to use for CARS ( eBay used )
I'm not sure what I will use for psyc and sociology.
AAMC - everything. Uworld
Some additional tests I'm not sure which ones yet, as much as I can possibly get.
I did go through Kaplan Bio.Easy.
I Did first Berkley end of the chapter tests got 16 (out of 71) answers wrong. Debating if I should go through TBR bio text.