Is there an way to practice in Ireland from US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrisski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a US citizen and have solid stats( 3.9, 34). I want to practice medicine in Ireland. I have spent time in both England and Ireland and I love them both. It seems to me that Atlantic bridge is almost exclusively for people who want to practice in the US, but didn't quite have the stats. Thus, they return back to US for residency and life. I have scoured the forum and have an idea of how hard this is. But is it possible? Can i get an irish residency (their equivalent) after medical school. If not, could I return home and do a US residency(Emergency Medicine is my interest) and then come back?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

..... It seems to me that Atlantic bridge is almost exclusively for people who .... didn't quite have the stats. ..... Thank you

chrisski - -

I don't know the percentage but I assure you that many of the applicants accepted into the American Bridge Program have options in US med schools.

I am a US citizen and have solid stats( 3.9, 34). I want to practice medicine in Ireland. I have spent time in both England and Ireland and I love them both. It seems to me that Atlantic bridge is almost exclusively for people who want to practice in the US, but didn't quite have the stats. Thus, they return back to US for residency and life. I have scoured the forum and have an idea of how hard this is. But is it possible? Can i get an irish residency (their equivalent) after medical school. If not, could I return home and do a US residency(Emergency Medicine is my interest) and then come back?

Thank you

Without EU citizenship, you'll be ranked after all EU citizens for internship opportunities in Ireland and the UK, which makes chances practising there quite low, if not impossible. You'd have to get EU citizenship and graduate from an EU programme in order to be considered for internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
chrisski - -

I don't know the percentage but I assure you that many of the applicants accepted into the American Bridge Program have options in US med schools.

I mean no offense, but the fact that they all come back to America for residency and then practice in America seems to infer that this is not the case. Ireland strikes me as a slightly better alternative to the Caribbean. Again, not bashing anyone, med school is ridiculously competitive and many bright applicants are forced to seek alternative means.

The majority of students in Ireland are Canadian because in Canada the admissions criteria for medical school are higher than in the states. Irish admission stats are something like this:

gpa: 3.4-3.9
MCAT: 28-36 (mostly 30+)

*stats of applicants thread

Irish medical schools are only slightly easier to gain acceptance to than the schools in the US. The downside is being considered a foreign graduate when matching.

Last edited:
Edit: Retracting statement.

Last edited: