Is there a secondary for Pod school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Californian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if Pod school have secondary application like MD or DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

No. It is very different. Primary application-->interview-->decision. Also from what I hear, interview means >50% if not 100% acceptance or conditional acceptance. If you read the interview feedback section, you will see that some schools give acceptance letters right after the interview.

The first part of your answer is current and there is no secondary applications. However, the second part of your post is not so correct. Yes certain school gives out acceptances after the interview but just interviewing does not give you a 50-100% chance of acceptance. I went to 3 different interviews last cycle where I met many people and after tracing back I found out that only a handful were selected and even some of those got conditional acceptance with their mcat retake and final GPA being the final determinant. The rest didnt get accepted and are trying again this cycle after mcat and course retakes. I wouldnt jump to the conclusion that if you interview you will get in. If you are a qualified applicant then sure its good to have that positive attitude even a cockiness but not everyone who interviews gets in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responds. I am so glad that there is no secondary application.

The first part of your answer is current and there is no secondary applications. However, the second part of your post is not so correct. Yes certain school gives out acceptances after the interview but just interviewing does not give you a 50-100% chance of acceptance. I went to 3 different interviews last cycle where I met many people and after tracing back I found out that only a handful were selected and even some of those got conditional acceptance with their mcat retake and final GPA being the final determinant. The rest didnt get accepted and are trying again this cycle after mcat and course retakes. I wouldnt jump to the conclusion that if you interview you will get in. If you are a qualified applicant then sure its good to have that positive attitude even a cockiness but not everyone who interviews gets in.

I did not say every school was like this. I'm just going by the previous posts in the SDN interview feedback section. Please tell all those people to correct their experiences to reflect more of what you think happened.

You need to realize this is an anonymous forum where people are allowed to post their opinions, honest or otherwise. Everything you read here needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt. I have been parading on this forum for over a year now and seen exactly what I am telling you. People will post whatever they think without inquiring or taking other factors into consideration. I will give you an example. Someone wrote that their interview experience was "bad" because the person who was supposed to interview them wasnt there and they just grabbed someone else to do it. The same exact thing happened to me at a DO school. I also reacted the same way as that person but I didnt go out of my way to post something online without finding out why that was the case. I talked to the DO school that same day and it turned out the person was late because he had a wreck on his way to school. So you see people will post whatever without thinking or considering alternate reasons for whatever they experienced. Also for example, people say temple looks old and outdated and the real truth is its Philly. The whole city is designed just like that and its in downtown of a historic city. You cant expect a school in that location to look like disneyland. The point is, read what you like here but form your own opinions and experiences. Dont just read what you see and repost as if thats the rule of the land.

...but just interviewing does not give you a 50-100% chance of acceptance.

You are right. Just APPLYING gives you over a 50% chance of getting accepted. The 2009 cycle had 976 applicants and...wait for it...579 applicants. Before interviews are even extended you have a 59% chance of being accepted somewhere.

Bearsfosho said:
I went to 3 different interviews last cycle where I met many people and ...

You come on here and criticize someone for giving anectodal evidence right AFTER you did the exact same thing. In the words of Keyshawn Johnson...C'mon man

You need to realize this is an anonymous forum where people are allowed to post their opinions, honest or otherwise. Everything you read here needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt. I have been parading on this forum for over a year now and seen exactly what I am telling you. People will post whatever they think without inquiring or taking other factors into consideration. I will give you an example. Someone wrote that their interview experience was "bad" because the person who was supposed to interview them wasnt there and they just grabbed someone else to do it. The same exact thing happened to me at a DO school. I also reacted the same way as that person but I didnt go out of my way to post something online without finding out why that was the case. I talked to the DO school that same day and it turned out the person was late because he had a wreck on his way to school. So you see people will post whatever without thinking or considering alternate reasons for whatever they experienced. Also for example, people say temple looks old and outdated and the real truth is its Philly. The whole city is designed just like that and its in downtown of a historic city. You cant expect a school in that location to look like disneyland. The point is, read what you like here but form your own opinions and experiences. Dont just read what you see and repost as if thats the rule of the land.

I have no clue why you seem so defensive. Are you on something, possible crack. It sounds like you are against the point of SDN...but yet contribute to it with posts like this. Listen, just contribute with good ideas of stay out of posts. If a interview experience is wrong, we will learn first hand. Your posts devalue SDN...IMO!

Ok you are right in saying I seem defensive and I am trying not to come off like that but theres no other way to convey my side without being that way. I have heard some negatives about this field and I dont get where it comes from. I like pod and from day one totally enjoyed every aspect and opportunity it has. I guess I seem defensive because saying if you apply you have a 50-50 shot at getting in makes this profession seem less than what it is so I was just trying to defend the profession as a whole and not attacking an individual or their post. I am not sure if you have come across one of my posts way back and it was about my moms pediatric friend who was bad mouthing the fact that I applied to pod school and she decided to show off about her nepehew who got into a carribean med school. Well in that case I didnt have to say anything because I was laughing on the inside. In my opinion and others who I have talked to, its way better to go to pod school then to a carribbean med school. (Right here i would like to put a disclaimer and say that my own opinion has nothing to do with the quality of education at carrib med schools and it just my personal opinion and bias so please dont come at me about that later.)

Dtrack, your a pod student currently and you should know that although the numbers support what your saying, the numbers are that way because pod is still the best kept secret in all of med profession. There are 9 schools all in all. If each school has a class of 60 then there will be 540 students total. Just because around a 1000 applies and the numbers come to about 50% being accepted doesnt prove the fact that if you apply you have a shot at getting in. If more students applied, say 1500 then the acceptance rate would drop. The schools will take average students because they have to fill their class but it doesnt mean if anyone applied they have a shot at getting in. Little side note, I dont like the fact that schools are still accepting DAT scores but if someone scores high on a DAT and their other numbers seem to be above average then maybe they have a case but if it was upto me I would accept a 20 on the mcat then its equivalent on the DAT.

Bearsfosho said:
If each school has a class of 60 then there will be 540 students total. Just because around a 1000 applies and the numbers come to about 50% being accepted doesnt prove the fact that if you apply you have a shot at getting in. If more students applied, say 1500 then the acceptance rate would drop.

If, when, someday...the fact is that if you are applying for a spot in the class of 2015 (qualifications aside), RAT was correct in saying you have a greater than 50% chance of being accepted.

I have heard some negatives about this field and I dont get where it comes from...
I guess I seem defensive because saying if you apply you have a 50-50 shot at getting in makes this profession seem less than what it is so I was just trying to defend the profession as a whole and not attacking an individual or their post....

If you're going into pod school then you better learn to live with the fact that admissions standards are what they are. The whole inferiority thing is bad for your health...

Ok i will just end this discussion here since my points isnt getting through.

Ok you are right in saying I seem defensive and I am trying not to come off like that but theres no other way to convey my side without being that way. I have heard some negatives about this field and I dont get where it comes from. I like pod and from day one totally enjoyed every aspect and opportunity it has. I guess I seem defensive because saying if you apply you have a 50-50 shot at getting in makes this profession seem less than what it is so I was just trying to defend the profession as a whole and not attacking an individual or their post. I am not sure if you have come across one of my posts way back and it was about my moms pediatric friend who was bad mouthing the fact that I applied to pod school and she decided to show off about her nepehew who got into a carribean med school. Well in that case I didnt have to say anything because I was laughing on the inside. In my opinion and others who I have talked to, its way better to go to pod school then to a carribbean med school. (Right here i would like to put a disclaimer and say that my own opinion has nothing to do with the quality of education at carrib med schools and it just my personal opinion and bias so please dont come at me about that later.)

Dtrack, your a pod student currently and you should know that although the numbers support what your saying, the numbers are that way because pod is still the best kept secret in all of med profession. There are 9 schools all in all. If each school has a class of 60 then there will be 540 students total. Just because around a 1000 applies and the numbers come to about 50% being accepted doesnt prove the fact that if you apply you have a shot at getting in. If more students applied, say 1500 then the acceptance rate would drop. The schools will take average students because they have to fill their class but it doesnt mean if anyone applied they have a shot at getting in. Little side note, I dont like the fact that schools are still accepting DAT scores but if someone scores high on a DAT and their other numbers seem to be above average then maybe they have a case but if it was upto me I would accept a 20 on the mcat then its equivalent on the DAT.

I feel where you are coming from Bear. You have what many like to refer to as professional pride. Keep that spirit and you will make it where ever you what to go. I see that when saying that acceptance = > 50% chance demeans the professional pride. This was not my intention, I was just answering the OP's question as best I could. As far as carib vs pod, its apples vs oranges. I just want to point out that SGU has admission stats equal to if not exceeding US DO schools and lower tier MD schools. I don't completely agree that US POD is better than caribbean MD unless you want to only be a POD. For a pod student that really wants to be a md, then carib route is a better choice, imo. In the end, it all boils down to the individual and what that individual wants. Are you applying this cycle to POD school or next year?

I am glad to see you at least see what im trying to say RATM. I am about to start at Barry end of this month.

We are all trying to add to the information pool thats out there and answer any questions that arise. I try to help too when I can but I certainly dont like demeaning my future profession. I will be honest as much as I can and provide whatever information I have but not at the expense of a school or anyone else for that matter.

I am glad to see you at least see what im trying to say RATM. I am about to start at Barry end of this month.

Good luck on your quest to become a future physician. All good input is valuable so keep putting it out there on this forum. Some may like it, some may not. Just put it out there and let us decide. Peace!