Is there a Combined MD/DDS Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to practice in a poor rural area of my state where no doctor or dentist lives/works. There are 13 counties like this here. Does anyone know of a combined MD/DDS program in the U.S. or anywhere in the English speaking world?

Such a program should be six years in length instead of eight.

Thank you for your assistance

Terry

Members don't see this ad.

I have never heard of the combined program, at least in the US. Some DDS/DMD go on to specialize in oral surgery and obtain an MD along the way though.

There are oral surgery some residencies that being about an MD/DDS in OMF surgery.

But I am not aware of any combined MD/DDS (or equivilent) programs that equip for primary care for both. However, I am aware of some of these programs that existed in the 1960s--even in Canada.

If there are any who know of these programs, in any nation and in any language, I will be very interested to know of them as well.

I can pretty safely say that these programs will never be in the US.

But I have been amazed, really amazed that these programs, modeled after the ones in 60s that equipped for primary care for both, have not proliferated in the third world, and in other areas where there rural enivironments coupled with high medical and dental need.

However, that being said, some third world residencies in W and S Africa that I am aware of do train their primary care and general surgery residents some oral surgery. And docs in such setting will find frequently themselves doing some dentistry anyway--training or not!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure this could help. Have you thought of obtaining your DDS/DMD degree and then receive your PA (physicians assistance) degree. A 2 year program, yet I believe you can receive advance standing and complete it in less time. In rural areas you are allowed to basically practice general medicine, prescibe drugs all under the supervision of a MD/DO. The MD/DO, to my knowledge doesn't have to be in the same practice as you or even the same city. So you get the chance to be a full healthcare provider. It's something to look into anyway.

Not sure this could help. Have you thought of obtaining your DDS/DMD degree and then receive your PA (physicians assistance) degree. A 2 year program, yet I believe you can receive advance standing and complete it in less time. In rural areas you are allowed to basically practice general medicine, prescibe drugs all under the supervision of a MD/DO. The MD/DO, to my knowledge doesn't have to be in the same practice as you or even the same city. So you get the chance to be a full healthcare provider. It's something to look into anyway.

Case Western in now offering a combined 5 or 6 year program..check out their website for details!

actually it was 11 years ago

Yes. NSU has a D.O./ DDS degree. It is a private school in south florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.