This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspiringdoctor_56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really screwed up my first semester of college. I got kicked out of the bio major program bc I got a 1.8 gpa which means I won't have a back up if I get denied from med school. I was planning of going into microbio or genetics or lab technician. Now I'm stuck with majoring in chemistry to have a back up or major in psychology which I find very interesting and minor in neuroscience or bio maybe??? I have no intention of being a psychologist which means that I would have to get accepted into med school or be a medical psychologist...

Members don't see this ad.

I really screwed up my first semester of college. I got kicked out of the bio major program bc I got a 1.8 gpa which means I won't have a back up if I get denied from med school. I was planning of going into microbio or genetics or lab technician. Now I'm stuck with majoring in chemistry to have a back up or major in psychology which I find very interesting and minor in neuroscience or bio maybe??? I have no intention of being a psychologist which means that I would have to get accepted into med school or be a medical psychologist...
the real questions are "why did I get a 1.8 and what will I do to not repeat that"

Reactions: 10 users
Medical schools don't care about what you major in, as long as the prerequisites are completed. You should choose one which you a) have the ability to succeed in, and b) are passionate about enough to study in depth. You are not stuck with only those options. Don't choose a major merely because you think that will make you look good to medical schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Medical schools don't care about what you major in, as long as the prerequisites are completed. You should choose one which you a) have the ability to succeed in, and b) are passionate about enough to study in depth. You are not stuck with only those options. Don't choose a major merely because you think that will make you look good to medical schools.
I am because they're the only majors I am interested in

Maybe I screwed up a bit too much oops :(

In general if you put in all of the effort your professor expects from you, you should rarely fail to get at least a B range grade. A 1.8 is likely to put you on academic probation. You are going to have to repeat any courses for your major or med school prerequisites that you received a C- or below in. If you repeat a course, you are generally expected to get at least an A-. When you apply to med school, all attempts for a course are factored into your GPA.

thumb.php

Major in the easiest major available at your UG; could be psychology
I majored in Basket Weaving with a concentration in Wicker Baskets. It has worked out all right for me thus far

Reactions: 2 users
In general if you put in all of the effort your professor expects from you, you should rarely fail to get at least a B range grade. A 1.8 is likely to put you on academic probation. You are going to have to repeat any courses for your major or med school prerequisites that you received a C- or below in. If you repeat a course, you are generally expected to get at least an A-. When you apply to med school, all attempts for a course are factored into your GPA.
DO schools don't count both grades

Then try the general Liberal Arts and get your pre-reqs out of the way.

Given your academic difficulties, you should strongly consider a major that will help you if Medicine doesn't work out.

Still don't know what that might be? Don't sweat it. You have plenty of time.

I am because they're the only majors I am interested in

Reactions: 1 users
So I'm feeling pretty hopeless at the moment. I was just told I got kicked out of the biology major and I can't reapply at all again. I got a 1.98 and the minimum gpa was a 2.0. My dreams are crushed. I'm just finished my first semester. I got an F in chemistry and straight C's in my pre reqs. Now I have to major in other areas of interest like psychology or chemistry. I might be interested in chemistry even though I failed. I just have to put the work into it. Psychology might be a good route to med school but with my grades do you think there's a chance? If I get rejected from med school as a pysch major, what other jobs will there be if I want to work in a science related field instead of as a pyschologist? Chemistry would leave me with many options to work in labs, research, etc but I just don't know if I will be interested enough when I get to upper level classes like gen chem 2 or orgo

none of it matters if you don't fix the reason you had a 1.8...what went wrong and how will you fix it?

First of all, choose a major that interests you AND that you can do well in. Medical schools don't care what you major in so don't feel like you have to be a science major. Are you a freshman? If so, why are you even worrying about your major this early on? I would focus on figuring out why you're failing classes and doing so poorly. You need to ask for some help! Reach out to your school's learning or study center, find a tutor, ask classmates who are doing well for help, visit your TAs and professors in office hours, etc.

At the end of the day, your major won't affect your med school chances but you have no chance at all unless you bring up your GPA. I wouldn't even worry about your career prospects at this point. Just focus on fixing whatever is causing you to struggle. In the meantime, take some easy classes that you know you can do well in. It is possible to make a comeback but it'll take some hard work and introspection.

Doesn't matter what major you're in if you're going to continue failing classes. You can certainly come back from this, but switching majors is not going to fix a problem with you and your approach to academics.

Just stop.

You can get in with an underwater basket weaving degree if you have taken the 1 year of bio, chem, ochem, physics, english, and social science within that degree. So stop taking courses that you probably hate so you can stop sucking. Build your confidence in subjects/major that you like. As you learn how to study, THEN take the prereqs, MCAT prep course, etc. You are probably screwed for MD unless you are URM or have an amazing backstory. DO rewards reinvention, as @Goro says.

Reactions: 1 users
Suggest OP start over at a CC and get science pre-reqs out of the way. Make use of the school's learning or education center to fix whatever learning deficits you have.

You don't have to be a Bio major to end up working in a lab. Just get the coursework and skills in.

Suggest OP start over at a CC and get science pre-reqs out of the way. Make use of the school's learning or education center to fix whatever learning deficits you have.

You don't have to be a Bio major to end up working in a lab. Just get the coursework and skills in.
No way I'm starting over I worked hard to get into my college. Guess I'm gonna major in pysch with a pre med track to get the pre reqs in