Is there a big difference between 248 and 250 Step 1 score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blastokine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scored a 248 which I know is a good score but it kind of stings that I was so close to 250, especially when I was predicted to score higher.

I see a lot of info online that seems to make a distinction between 240-249, and then 250+. I am currently interested in ortho and am in the top quartile of my class rank at a US MD school. Will I be able to match in a top tier ortho program with this score? Can I be considered for AOA with this score?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure about ortho but unfortunately yes having a 250+ vs 240s can make a difference. Your score is very strong and coming from USMD program it def doesnt keep you out of the running for matching ortho depending on the rest of your app. Whether its good enough for top tier ortho not sure. Also depends on which USMD school youre coming from because school tier matters if youre trying to match top tier youll have a much better shot coming from a T10-20 USMD program with your score of 240s than someone at a low tier MD program would with your score. Maybe @OrthoTraumaMD can weigh in on your question

Not sure about ortho but unfortunately yes having a 250+ vs 240s can make a difference. Your score is very strong and coming from USMD program it def doesnt keep you out of the running for matching ortho depending on the rest of your app. Whether its good enough for top tier ortho not sure. Also depends on which USMD school youre coming from because school tier matters if youre trying to match top tier youll have a much better shot coming from a T10-20 USMD program with your score of 240s than someone at a low tier MD program would with your score. Maybe @OrthoTraumaMD can weigh in on your question

Thank you, I will get over it. I’m not at T10-20 program and we don’t have a home ortho
program unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, I will get over it. I’m not at T10-20 program and we don’t have a home ortho
program unfortunately.
I think youll match ortho with your score whether it will be top tier I am not sure but the rest of your app has to be strong as well which im sure with your score you most likely have a strong work ethic and should do well on shelves with a good step 1 knowledge base. Just work super hard until match day and find good mentors. Thats all the input I can give I am applying IM so I cant really give u reputable ortho advice

Members don't see this ad :)
I think youll match ortho with your score whether it will be top tier I am not sure but the rest of your app has to be strong as well which im sure with your score you most likely have a strong work ethic and should do well on shelves with a good step 1 knowledge base. Just work super hard until match day and find good mentors. Thats all the input I can give I am applying IM so I cant really give u reputable ortho advice
Thank you so much 👏. Good luck with your journey as well.

As I say in the first part of my AMA thread I do not “chance” people.
In general, I think going for a “top” program makes no sense as almost any program will train you how to be a good orthopaedic surgeon.

Reactions: 3 users
Step 1 has massive standard deviations. It makes absolutely zero sense to view 248 to be any different from 250. It's a major reason why Step 1 went P/F.

Your best bet OP is to look at the Charting Outcomes and go from there.

Reactions: 2 users
Step 1 has massive standard deviations. It makes absolutely zero sense to view 248 to be any different from 250. It's a major reason why Step 1 went P/F.

Your best bet OP is to look at the Charting Outcomes and go from there.
Ahh makes sense, thank you

I'm not entirely sure a 3rd year medical student is in a position to comment on this issue.

Per program director survey (soon to be updated), your score is approximately within the range where most ortho programs grant interviews. I'd like to me more specific, but N*MP holds their data tightly.

Per program director survey (soon to be updated), your score is approximately within the range where most ortho programs grant interviews. I'd like to me more specific, but N*MP holds their data tightly.
Thank you. Do you have an idea when the director survey will be updated?

So, I misspoke - the PD survey is from 2020, so fairly fresh. Here is a link that doesn't require a password - looks pretty close to the PD version: At-A-Glance PD Survey - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

Also, this page is free and has tons of data - you might especially be interested in the materials in the research section Main Residency Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

There is also an interactive page, also in the research section, that is probably better for visual learners

Good luck!

So, I misspoke - the PD survey is from 2020, so fairly fresh. Here is a link that doesn't require a password - looks pretty close to the PD version: At-A-Glance PD Survey - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

Also, this page is free and has tons of data - you might especially be interested in the materials in the research section Main Residency Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

There is also an interactive page, also in the research section, that is probably better for visual learners

Good luck!
Ahh thank you so much :)