Is the person reading the secondary of an applicant just one person and does it in order?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SentientWave

Reaction score
Does just one person read the secondary app of a given applicant or are different prompts assigned to different readers? Also, if it's just one person, I can assume they are reading in the same sequence the questions are presented, right? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Does just one person read the secondary app of a given applicant or are different prompts assigned to different readers? Also, if it's just one person, I can assume they are reading in the same sequence the questions are presented, right? Thank you!
Totally School dependent in terms of who reads the app.

Reactions: 2 users
And totally dependent on the reader. And the reader's whims. Some schools will have one reader, some will have two or three working sequentially. Assume nothing.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On Admissions Straight Talk, I've asked several adcoms how an application is processed. I don't remember even one saying that one reader reads responses to one prompt and another reads another prompt. From what I recall people read applications, not prompts. Schools vary on how many people read each app.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
While it depends on the program how an application is generally reviewed or discussed, it is a logistical pain in the posterior. One thing is for sure, if such a process exists where an applicant's essays are individually reviewed, the program probably did not require the candidate to write a ton of secondary essays. On the other hand, that is how Kira Talent Assessments are scored (each faculty member reviews a number of respondents to a specific prompt, like an MMI).

Can you assume they are reading the responses in the same sequence by a reviewer? I haven't sent a ticket to IT for the reviewer portal to scramble all the secondary essays. I'm sure if I did request this, my reviewers will stir up some big trouble. TL/DR: assume yes.

Really, let's stop giving admissions professionals evil ideas. :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
In general, your essays should stand on their own without needing support from other essays. Additionally, you have a very limited amount of opportunity to share more about who you are and should try not to have your essays overlap much. Instead of trying to develop a theme across multiple essays and risk doing it poorly overall, use each essay to develop one or two themes well. Quality over quantity as they say.

Reactions: 3 users