Is the job market really that bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Godsgirl16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been hearing about how pharmacy is very saturated and graduates come out with no job offers. While this information is not new to me, I cant help but wonder if this is a national thing or just regional/state. Where I live (Maryland) there are always openings for pharmacists and it's not just CVS. I get that new schools are opening up which brings in more pharmacists than needed, but I can't help but wonder whether the extent to this situation has been exaggerated a bit. I know I still want to pursue pharmacy but where are people getting this information from??

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer: it's a regional thing. Where I am (Northern CA), they are desperate for bodies. I spoke to a pharmacist who graduated last year, she said she was able to get an inpatient gig right after graduation (though she did mention it was a 'friend of a friend' situation in terms of getting her foot in the door).

The saturation talk is a bit over-the-top here but it is a very real thing to be concerned about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not the worst profession out there but still not a good one, although as of now you can still find a job if you're willing to relocate anywhere. There are more other professions, i.e. software engineering that are more lucrative and have more job openings and do not require you to spend $200k+ and 4 years on a professional degree.

Definite saturation in many areas and only getting worse. This topic has been beaten to death so many times but it's tougher. It's not like the golden times, when people offered you jobs. Now you have to scramble and work very hard for one, especially in areas desirable to live.

If you look at Pharmacy ADI nationally for last 10 years, that tells you the answer. Previous sources that used to be cited by prepharmers are no longer cited as the data points to the inevitable trend. Think if pharmacy is really right for you and if you can succeed in it.

Outside of retail, the market for new grads is less favorable than that for experienced pharmacists

Yes, very bad. I can't find jobs even I have nearly 10 years of hospital experience.

Yes, very bad. I can't find jobs even I have nearly 10 years of hospital experience.
The unemployment rate for pharmacists is high. I know at least 8 pharmacists that have been out of work for more than 2 years. Most just moved back home and picked up jobs driving uber or fast food.

The unemployment rate for pharmacists is high. I know at least 8 pharmacists that have been out of work for more than 2 years. Most just moved back home and picked up jobs driving uber or fast food.
Ahhh...The pharmacy biz...been in it off and on for thirty years now...Nuclear was the most interesting and challenging but the hours honked..and you always had a bit of a glow..I sort of wandered into pharmacy when there was a big shortage and until lately the pay and work opportunities kept going up and up....HOWEVER..from my first day as a student (where I dusted shelves and picked up stuffed toys...I should have realized then...but I figured it was just a fluke)..until now; it could best be described as high speed drudgery..with the potential for disaster always lurking in the background. It is at best IMHO a borderline profession especially for young men who really should be doing something besides arguing about who runs the cash register....begging for time to hit the latrine....having to take orders from techs..you fill in the rest...Pharmacy is staring at financial disaster in many cases....I was in a pharmacy the other day owned by a big clinic.....they run maybe 10 pharmacies..but this one was staffed by techs with a video link to a central pharmacist who asked "any questions?" "no" "bye" Hmmmmmm...? The PBM's are absolutely raking little and big guys over the coals and you have to wonder how long they can last. Who knows? Unless you are just set on being a pharmacist or maybe the old man owns one (in which case he may refuse to pay tuition) I would be VERY VERY careful about getting in to this job.....From what I hear..WAGS just gave the boot to all of their drivers and contracted out....for 1/2 the pay......

Are you joking?...Regardless, its a shame if true. It was such a hot field. Seems to be a reoccurring theme, hot field attracts bright, hard-working students and then field tanks due to the powers that be scr*wing it up one way or the other

Are you joking?...Regardless, its a shame if true. It was such a hot field. Seems to be a reoccurring theme, hot field attracts bright, hard-working students and then field tanks due to the powers that be scr*wing it up one way or the other

no i'm not joking. yeah pharmacy was hot in 1999. that was almost 20 years ago. times change.

Not a joke. It was a hot field until growth slowed due to the 2008-2009 real estate collapse and the number of pharmacy school slots doubled within a period of 10-15 years.