Technology Is the iPhone 5S worth getting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iMA Editor Iltifat

Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would love to hear thoughts on the iPhone 5S that apple recently released. At iMedicalApps, we point out two key features that could be enticing to med students and residents:

1) Touch ID
2) M7 Activity Sensor

When I was reviewing the article we wrote on the iPhone 5S, one of the biggest things I was trying to figure out is if the Touch ID sensor would save me time.

As most of us know, we're required to put a passcode on our phone if we use our Hospital's Wi-Fi. So we find ourselves putting in a passcode several times a day -- some have said more than a 100 times. The question is....will the Touch ID sensor save any of this time? And is it really just a marginal amount at the end of the day?

My suggestion to the med students and residents out there:

1) If you have an iPhone 4 or 4s -- The 5S is definitely worth the upgrade.
2) If you have the iPhone 5 -- only get the upgrade if you are frustrated by having to put your passcode in every time you use the phone. A key thing to note as well -- Hospitals will have to determine if they feel the Touch ID is an adequate substitute to the passcode -- so you're still not in the clear if you get the 5S.

Members don't see this ad.

There is an option to increase the amount of time that can pass before your phone will again require a passcode to be entered for access. I think by default it is 1 min. I set mine to the max I could (prolly depends on the facility, mine is 15 mins) and it's a huge difference from typing it in every minute. It's in settings somewhere

I'd highly suggest you to upgrade to Iphone 5S. Touch id really saves time.

I'm feeling comfortable with this new reasonable update of iPhone, and I am more than certain you'll love it :)

Members don't see this ad :)