Is Taking Courses in the Summer of 2020 advantageous due to the COVID-19 Pandemic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biochemistryninja

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am planning to take algebra-based physics 1 (Mechanics) and calculus-based physics 2 (Electricity and Magnetism) concurrently this semester. Due to the occurring pandemic, I'm starting to see more and more institutions declaring Summer 2020 courses to be held online. I thought this might be a good time to do the physics courses required in my program. I believe this is advantageous, because there will be no lab component in the course and the examinations will be online and most likely open book. I dont think I will be needing a strong foundation in physics in my program as I'm doing a biochemistry major anyway. As for the MCAT, I am planning to review things over and will rely on MCAT study tips and whatnot for the Physics section. It might be good to note that I am currently taking Calculus II this semester, so I wont be completely lost when it comes to integration in Physics 2. Also, I am only taking these two courses as my institution doesnt offer other courses I need during the summer semester. So is this a good idea? Would this be an appropriate time to take these courses concurrently given the situation and my end goal? Thank you for reading guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Most medical schools require in-person attendance with labs for physics. I doubt the current situation will give you any leniency with regards to summer classes, likely only with current spring classes. It may be worth checking with an adcom before you make a decision.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! I am planning to take algebra-based physics 1 (Mechanics) and calculus-based physics 2 (Electricity and Magnetism) concurrently this semester. Due to the occurring pandemic, I'm starting to see more and more institutions declaring Summer 2020 courses to be held online. I thought this might be a good time to do the physics courses required in my program. I believe this is advantageous, because there will be no lab component in the course and the examinations will be online and most likely open book. I dont think I will be needing a strong foundation in physics in my program as I'm doing a biochemistry major anyway. As for the MCAT, I am planning to review things over and will rely on MCAT study tips and whatnot for the Physics section. It might be good to note that I am currently taking Calculus II this semester, so I wont be completely lost when it comes to integration in Physics 2. Also, I am only taking these two courses as my institution doesnt offer other courses I need during the summer semester. So is this a good idea? Would this be an appropriate time to take these courses concurrently given the situation and my end goal? Thank you for reading guys!

To me, your situation raises the question of why algebra based Physics 1 and then calculus based Physics 2? Besides knowing integration techniques for Physics 2, you want to know about power series and vector manipulations.

"Open book tests" do not always mean "easy". I say this from my experience as both an chemistry/physics instructor and student (years ago).

Labs tend to help a student's grade so it is beneficial to take them, if possible.

I tell my students: "Physics is all around us and not just in textbooks. Look around and you will see lots of applications. When you open your mind in this manner, the course material actually becomes easier to understand."

Members don't see this ad :)
Most medical schools require in-person attendance with labs for physics. I doubt the current situation will give you any leniency with regards to summer classes, likely only with current spring classes. It may be worth checking with an adcom before you make a decision.

Best of luck!

I was looking to finish up the Physics series + lab this next online spring quarter but....now you're thinking there's a chance the virtual lab won't be accepted by Med Schools?? I really just need to finish up this series..

I was looking to finish up the Physics series + lab this next online spring quarter but....now you're thinking there's a chance the virtual lab won't be accepted by Med Schools?? I really just need to finish up this series..

If I was in your situation, I would call several medical schools and ask them directly.

Is your school switching to online or just doing remote learning? Reason I ask is because my school is switching everything over the summer to remote learning, however I think it will still appear on a transcript as if you took the class in person. I think its worth it to ask!

To me, your situation raises the question of why algebra based Physics 1 and then calculus based Physics 2? Besides knowing integration techniques for Physics 2, you want to know about power series and vector manipulations.

"Open book tests" do not always mean "easy". I say this from my experience as both an chemistry/physics instructor and student (years ago).

Labs tend to help a student's grade so it is beneficial to take them, if possible.

I tell my students: "Physics is all around us and not just in textbooks. Look around and you will see lots of applications. When you open your mind in this manner, the course material actually becomes easier to understand."

The exams in my corporate tax class (I was an accounting major) were 1.5 hours, 25 questions, open book and open notes. That was the hardest class I've ever taken, easily more than ochem I and II combined.