Is switching from one residency( AOA) to another residency( ACGME) still allowed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jay2910

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
With all the match changes, I don't know if the switching from AOA FM to say ACGME radiology is still allowed? If anyone can give legit advice on this that would be much appreciated as I don't want to get stuck in a program for 4 years.
I can't really ask the program directors if I can switch out to another residency cause I know that looks bad. Tips on how to handle ?
I'm very desperate and I really need help guys!

Members don't see this ad.

You're not "switching". You're quitting one and trying to match into another. There are no rules against this. The difficulty will be in the fact that you're trying to leave a non-competitive program (AOA FM) for a more competitive one (Rads).

Your success, or lack thereof, will not have anything to do with any rules (that don't actually exist).

You're going to need to get over your fear of talking to your PD about wanting to switch--if you're working in a residency now, you aren't going to be able to match without a letter of good standing from your current program.

The ABR appears to require ACGME prelim credit. If your current program is not ACGME accredited, it's unlikely to meet their requirements. If they have already gotten pre-accred status, then it likely will count but you would probably need to contact them.

Reactions: 1 users