Is Surgical Technician a good career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cupcakexox

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to become a surgeon but I'd like to work in the OR. So would becoming a Surgical Technician be a good idea? I suppose I would be able to get a job anywhere?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd find some scrub techs and ask them their opinion of the job. I think it's a pretty neat job, and people who do their job well are great assets in the OR.

I imagine demand for techs is fairly high.

Sometimes, I wish I was a surgical tech; mandatory breaks, 5 hours into an 8 hour case “oh my shift is up,” but still get to be in the OR.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A good career? Not really. It's something you can do when you're young, but career path offers limited room for advancement. Salary isn't great and ceiling is low.

You also could become an RN and be a circulator in the OR, or become a surgical assistant (requires surg tech degree first I believe) to work in an OR.

CRNA or PA/first assist would also be good jobs in the OR. Depends how much training you want to do.

Sometimes, I wish I was a surgical tech; mandatory breaks, 5 hours into an 8 hour case “oh my shift is up,” but still get to be in the OR.

Dunno, getting yelled at by attendings constantly would be pretty grating even with the breaks and you don't get to actually do anything.

Not everyone yells at their techs. I find that to be harmful.

No of course not but there are still plenty of malignant personalities you're going to come across as a tech.

Reactions: 1 users
As a RN you could become a OR/first assist nurse or CRNA. Could also do acute care NP and find yourself in surgery. Good luck.