Is Research Necessary?

cyron1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
dfgdfgdfg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Research isn't necessary.

Although, if you want to go to a research-oriented medical school, it might approach being necessary.

It'll help your application, no doubt, and I think you should at least try it out. If you like it, keep doing it; if you don't, focus on other things.

research isn't necessary to get into medical school, although the "top" schools are at the top because they have heavy research focus, which means that they want to bring in students who might also be interested in research.

that being said, do you have any reason to not do research? What I mean is, when you think of the possibility of doing research, do you really dread it, or do you just not have any interest in it? If you dread doing it, by all means, don't do it, but if you don't have any interest in it, I would recommend giving it a try. If you don't like it, you don't have to keep doing it (and if you are asked in an interview why you stopped, you just say that it wasn't for you). If you like it, that's awesome, and it will definitely make you a better scientist.

I find research to be so much fun, and, in reality, undergraduate research is the best, because there is almost no pressure on an undergrad. If you want to do research, join a smaller lab, because the PI in a smaller lab will be more likely to be directly involved in training you, which is really good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research is fun! But, it sometimes depends on the student. I find anything interesting and have a knack for making my work fun for me.

You can shadow and get all the experience you need. But, sometimes research just sounds good on your application. It also depends on the medical school. Some are heavy on the research stuff and a lot of doctors at the teaching hospital research as well. Seems like they want students that would emulate the doctors.

Do what you want. But, I think you should try it to figure out if you like it or not. You don't know if you like it or not until you try.

Flipping through an MSAR, I notice that U of MIchigan accepted students reported that they had done research in 91% of the cases. In short, as others have said, it is more important at some schools than others. However, it is always a good EC, regardless of the school or your interest in academic medicine.

Research isn't necessary, but as everyone has said it can be pretty important to some schools (making it almost de facto necessary).

I'd recommend that you give research a try. You can't really discover whether you like research or not until you experience it. If you're unsure, I'd highly recommend one of the numerous intense summer programs. They essentially give you the opportunity to work full-time in a lab doing legitimate research. If you don't like it, then hey, you've got something to put on your application. I would be willing to bet that bench work isn't what you expect it to be.

As stated above it is not necessary. I didn't plan on doing any and then the opportunity presented itself and I took it. I don't regret it at all. I like my research, I don't love research, but it is not bad at all. The people I am with are awesome, and I get to present the research at conferences (and have it paid for). Does it help to have it? Yes. Even at non-research oriented institutions it is seen as a plus. Research shows understanding of the scientific method, and most likely a deep understanding of one area of science.