is research a part of cardiac surgery residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ali35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
----

Members don't see this ad.

It's part of every residency

Members don't see this ad :)
No it’s not.

Some residencies have built in research years but most do not.
There is a difference between research and a built in research year. OP asked "Is research a part of cardiac surgery residency?" Not "Is a research year a part of cardiac surgery residency?" Every single residency is going to require some sort of research project.

There is a difference between research and a built in research year. OP asked "Is research a part of cardiac surgery residency?" Not "Is a research year a part of cardiac surgery residency?" Every single residency is going to require some sort of research project.

No they don’t. Most residencies have no research requirement.

Some surgical subspecialties require research. If you’re planning to apply for IM subspecialties like heme/one, gi, or cardiology, research is mandatory. If you want a cardiac surgery fellowship, it helps to do research during your residency. If you want to go into PP and do gallbladders and hernias, it is not required. But most residencies don’t require research. My anesthesia residency at a top university program did not require research, it was completely optional. The majority of us didn’t do any. Most residencies in most specialties have no research requirement.

Edit: maybe I misunderstood your initial reply. Perhaps you were referring only to I-6 cardiac surgery residency and not all residencies. I don’t know the requirements for that particular residency. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if all cardiac surgery residencies have a research requirement.

Last edited: