Is PM&R the Next Plastics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No because this table only represents categorical positions. There were ~3 unmatched advanced spots that filled in SOAP I believe.

Reactions: 3 users
I think the 100% match rate represents it’s reputation as one of the easier residencies, and as a lifestyle specialty.

Hypothetically, if the average income doubled, then yes it could become the next plastics.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the 100% match rate represents it’s reputation as one of the easier residencies, and as a lifestyle specialty.

Hypothetically, if the average income doubled, then yes it could become the next plastics.

True. But competition is competition...there are large numbers of applicants applying to PM&R. I don’t think that it’s incredibly competitive in terms of getting elite applicants like Plastics. But by the sheer numbers, matching to PM&R has become significantly more difficult in recent years.

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder if med students are aware that PM&R has the 3rd highest burnout rate.

I wonder if med students are aware that PM&R has the 3rd highest burnout rate.

Probably not. The truth is that I think that the burnout stats are confounded by selection bias. The question in my mind is whether or not a physician would have burned out if they went into a DIFFERENT specialty. I think that PM&R’s reputation for being easy with a great lifestyle doesn’t help itself. I think a discrepancy between expectations and reality is a risk factor for burnout. When a resident gets done with internship and enters a PM&R program expecting it to be “easy” they have a good chance to burnout. “Easy” is a relative term and nothing in medicine is easy. I honestly think many of those who burn out in PM&R would likely burn out in any other specialty unless if their expectations entering those other specialties would be different. I’m not sure that the specialty alone is as big of a reason for burnout as that selection bias.

Reactions: 2 users
Which Physicians feel fairly compensated? PM&R 50%
I would choose medicine again? PM&R 62% (last place)
I would choose same specialty again? PM&R 81%

This is interesting because some of the higher paying specialities were lower or average on the list of feeling fairly compensated and some of the lower paying specialties were on the higher end. I wonder if PM&R attracts people that find part way through med school they really don't want to be a doctor, but are in too deep financially to bail and they move into to PM&R due the opportunity to have an easier residency and usually good lifestyle as an attending. I personally am very happy with my choice.

Speaking from the outpatient MSK world - the interesting thing about PM&R 20 or more years ago was the ability to build a practice best suited to your interests and abilities and grow with it. When so many patients lost their employer insurance in the recession and then the reimbursement cuts hit hard, everyone around me was desperately trying to figure out what to do keep their practice viable. So many groups folded or sold and everyone who went into employment are now burned out from the productivity treadmill, backasswards EMR's, idiotic quixotic qualitative metrics (press ganey), opiate addiction & pain psych dumps, and loss of control with nonclinical admin telling us how to practice. Most of us liked our practice and enjoyed being our own boss and running the business. that's pretty much gone. i only recommend PM&R to those interested in peds and inpatient rehab

Reactions: 1 users

If the income of (almost) ANY specialty doubled, it could become the next plastics.

And is plastics still plastics? Are med students still dumb enough to crawl over each other to get into a field whose golden age was the early 2000s? When the next recession hits, I'm betting a large chunk of private cosmetic practices are going to disappear.

Last edited: