Is pharmacy a good career to go into right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you know which data science programs they applied to?

GAtech masters in bioinformatic, once ur in, you can make ur 3 semester program into 4 sem and have data science certificate as well.

I know this first hand through my S.O. But just a head up thou, finding a job isnt like super easy and raining from
the sky like the forum makes it seem like

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted into pharmacy school but I am having second thoughts. I do not want to to rack up a massive amount of debt and not have the means of paying it back. Any suggestions?

I worked one year in reatil and actually liked it about 160 RX/day
Left for VA job which I hold for ten years now
I work every department, inpatient, outpatient, clinics.
No Residency

I wish someone had told me the terrible work hours. It is extremely difficult having to work weekends and odd hours like 4 to midnight and the best one midnight to 8AM. This alone is a total turn off. This is terrible for a good work/life balance. I am not sure if they still have 13 hours at retail but not great for a family life.

If you really decide on pharmacy, recommend 2 residencies or MBA or JD. You need to stand out from all the others and join every club frat possible. Networking is very important.

The debt can be a turn off but if the job is rewarding enough it would be worth it. In my opinion, it is not because no matter what you hear or are told, you are a pharmacist and it will always be the MD final decision, no matter what, no matter how many articles you quote. Or even better NP and PAs with prescription privileges that think they know it all and explaining anything to them breaks my heart. For example, mom went to MD for potential upper respiratory infection, seen by NP. I simple asked for a switch of levaquin to another antibiotic and of course he had no idea which. He mention ok I will give her Cipro. Both Cipro and levaquin belong in the same class. I rested my case got the RX filled and monitored by mom in which she recovered without any issues and without antibiotics, had a chest x-ray done since NP did not order it.

Good luck

GAtech masters in bioinformatic, once ur in, you can make ur 3 semester program into 4 sem and have data science certificate as well.

I know this first hand through my S.O. But just a head up thou, finding a job isnt like super easy and raining from
the sky like the forum makes it seem like

Did she have a background in CS, DS, or advanced math? Also, can you describe what her job search after graduating from the program was like? (Since you said it wasn't super easy; just wondering how hard of a time she had)

Members don't see this ad :)
No Residency

I wish someone had told me the terrible work hours. It is extremely difficult having to work weekends and odd hours like 4 to midnight and the best one midnight to 8AM. This alone is a total turn off. This is terrible for a good work/life balance. I am not sure if they still have 13 hours at retail but not great for a family life.

If you really decide on pharmacy, recommend 2 residencies or MBA or JD. You need to stand out from all the others and join every club frat possible. Networking is very important.

The debt can be a turn off but if the job is rewarding enough it would be worth it. In my opinion, it is not because no matter what you hear or are told, you are a pharmacist and it will always be the MD final decision, no matter what, no matter how many articles you quote. Or even better NP and PAs with prescription privileges that think they know it all and explaining anything to them breaks my heart. For example, mom went to MD for potential upper respiratory infection, seen by NP. I simple asked for a switch of levaquin to another antibiotic and of course he had no idea which. He mention ok I will give her Cipro. Both Cipro and levaquin belong in the same class. I rested my case got the RX filled and monitored by mom in which she recovered without any issues and without antibiotics, had a chest x-ray done since NP did not order it.

Good luck

I to work for the VA and agree the work hours are are awful. Trying to find a way out but it has be difficult

Did she have a background in CS, DS, or advanced math? Also, can you describe what her job search after graduating from the program was like? (Since you said it wasn't super easy; just wondering how hard of a time she had)

her BS is in biology, she was changing career as well, jump on the tech bandwagon. she was not limited by location and graduation last dec 2019, she applied but only got 2-3 leads

No Residency

Good luck

If I only had 160 scripts per day, I would like retail too.

You didn't ask what the VA work hours were like during your interview?

her BS is in biology, she was changing career as well, jump on the tech bandwagon. she was not limited by location and graduation last dec 2019, she applied but only got 2-3 leads

I'm surprised she had such a hard time finding a job. So she graduated with an M.S. in Bioinformatics? Did she end up having to take a job in a rural area?

I'm surprised she had such a hard time finding a job. So she graduated with an M.S. in Bioinformatics? Did she end up having to take a job in a rural area?

she found a job in a metro city and things are okay now. but what I mean is she did not have a bunch of offers and things to choose from. I think for bioinformatic you cant go rural since most jobs are located near the city. yea she grad w MS in bioinformatics, some of her classmates spend a semester or so to do a data science certificate

she found a job in a metro city and things are okay now. but what I mean is she did not have a bunch of offers and things to choose from. I think for bioinformatic you cant go rural since most jobs are located near the city. yea she grad w MS in bioinformatics, some of her classmates spend a semester or so to do a data science certificate

It's good to hear that she found something in a nice city. I wonder if a data science-specific degree might be more marketable than bioinformatics. If you don't mind, can I ask what the approximate range of her starting salary with the bioinformatics MS was?

Pharmacy has been very, very good to me and I feel like my job prospects are great. For at least the next 5 years. But I no longer work as a pharmacist. I love pharmacy and being a hospital pharmacist and would go back to it if I needed to.

BUT, I graduated a long time ago with sub 3% loans and would never advise someone to go into pharmacy now. We need a good 5 years of zero grads and a stable enough stock market that people feel they can retire.

Reactions: 1 user
It's good to hear that she found something in a nice city. I wonder if a data science-specific degree might be more marketable than bioinformatics. If you don't mind, can I ask what the approximate range of her starting salary with the bioinformatics MS was?
PM

If you think going to school for 8+ years to only be a common cashier sounds good to you, then yes.

"You said that the admissions counselor told you that there are still jobs in AL, MS, and LA. Even if there are, I guarantee you that these jobs are going to be in very rural, desolate areas that you almost definitely don't want to live in (think small towns that are 3-5 hours away from the nearest city). Also, these are primarily going to be chain retail pharmacy jobs."

Did she happen to mention if these are PHARMACY jobs?
Even if she says they are pharmacy jobs, did she happen to mention if these are PHARMACIST jobs? Plenty of pharmacy clerk and technician jobs out there that are considered "pharmacy" jobs...

Sorry think I posted in wrong place initially. This format is a bit confusing.

Most pharmacy schools are too expensive and not enough payoff. Go to med school or into business; you will make more money and have a much better quality of life. I worked retail for 15+ years and depending on the cost of living, it is not enough money for the aggravation. Also, depending on demographics, there are some groups that stick together and make you will feel like an outsider. Many are ultra competitive-not sure why because I never met any rocket scientists in the field. Also, the license transfers and reciprocation are painstaking and superfluous. Doctors and nurses do not go through the same hell. Good luck with everything. I am sure you will find a great field with good pay if you do your research and get some good career guidance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No Residency

Good luck
I agree. I would only consider p/t or remote work for a good employer in pharmacy.

I agree would only consider p/t or remote work in the field at this point. Have an unrelated job now and it's soooo much better.

Sorry think I posted in wrong place initially. This format is a bit confusing.

Most pharmacy schools are too expensive and not enough payoff. Go to med school or into business; you will make more money and have a much better quality of life. I worked retail for 15+ years and depending on the cost of living, it is not enough money for the aggravation. Also, depending on demographics, there are some groups that stick together and make you will feel like an outsider. Many are ultra competitive-not sure why because I never met any rocket scientists in the field. Also, the license transfers and reciprocation are painstaking and superfluous. Doctors and nurses do not go through the same hell. Good luck with everything. I am sure you will find a great field with good pay if you do your research and get some good career guidance.

I am intending to go into bsn. Is it worth it after my PharmD degree?