Is Opto-Camp difficult to get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ycbchiang

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm applying to the UCB summer program this week and I was wondering if anyone can talk about the difficulty of getting in and how many people in general apply each year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My advice is to apply regardless of how difficult it may be reported to be. You lose very little in applying but if you don't apply you won't get in at all.
I know this doesn't answer your question, but I found the program to be very helpful in my decision-making so I highly recommend going for it!

Reactions: 1 user
My advice is to apply regardless of how difficult it may be reported to be. You lose very little in applying but if you don't apply you won't get in at all.
I know this doesn't answer your question, but I found the program to be very helpful in my decision-making so I highly recommend going for it!
Thanks! I'm just worried about not being competitive enough. My GPA isn't as high as the average people that enroll in the school but I hope my solid extracurriculars will help. I'm glad to hear that the program was good for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Opto-camp alumni here! Message me if you have any questions. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! I'm just worried about not being competitive enough. My GPA isn't as high as the average people that enroll in the school but I hope my solid extracurriculars will help. I'm glad to hear that the program was good for you!

I understand. Even if you are not as competitive on paper, I think you should apply because you may match other things they are looking for. I had a low GPA when I applied but I focused on writing good answers and getting a good letter of rec.

If you end up attending, it will look great on your application.

Apply! I am an Opto-Camp alum as of last summer and I didn't think I would get in either. I am from the East Coast and I saw this as a perfect opportunity to get a feel for not only the program, but also Berkeley. These Summer programs are so valuable in terms of the knowledge you gain about the profession. They even give a nice stipend and may waive application fees if cost is an issue for you. In terms of how many apply...I am unsure but I think I remember about 40-50ish people being there?