Is Nutrition considered a science class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mousieOD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all!

Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm finished with all of my pre-reqs and just submitted my application to NOVA today, but want to keep taking classes to improve my GPA (since it is the weak factor in my application).

I've already taken Microbio, A&P, Biochem, all that good stuff...so I wanted to take Embryology or Pathophysiology since I'll be seeing those classes in optometry school, but enrollment is completely full! :( Arg. I am now thinking of taking Intro to Human Nutrition... just wondering if this is considered a science class or not? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would call the school, since different schools consider different courses to be science.

From the schools I have been in contact with, nutrition is not considered a science.

Members don't see this ad :)
depends on where you take it at. If it's under the biology department (which is usually the case for larger universities) then yes, it'd a good course to take.

yeah, i would say it depends on if your school classifies it as a science course.

It should be. :cool:
It's a topic on national boards.
We learned it in 3 classes this semester because every professor thought it wasn't being covered in other classes.

I'm pretty sure every school will have a differing opinion on the nutrition course. Are you trying to boost your science GPA specifically, is that why you are asking?

It should be. :cool:
It's a topic on national boards.
We learned it in 3 classes this semester because every professor thought it wasn't being covered in other classes.

I'm pretty sure every school will have a differing opinion on the nutrition course. Are you trying to boost your science GPA specifically, is that why you are asking?

That's good to know sniklegem, thanks for the heads up! :thumbup: I don't see nutrition anywhere in the optometry curriculum -- and I sure didn't know it would show up boards. I'm leaning toward a 'yes' now in wanting to take the class.

I checked with UCLA Extension and the class is categorized under Physiological Sciences, so I assume it's considered a science class. I'll call NOVA directly and ask them what they think.

And yes, I'm trying boost my science GPA specifically.
Thanks for the input...and Happy Holidays! :hardy:

That's good to know I don't see nutrition anywhere in the optometry curriculum -- and I sure didn't know it would show up boards. I'm leaning toward a 'yes' now in wanting to take the class.

Keep in mind what will show up on boards will be things you cover in one lecture period in one class.
If you can't get in to pathophysiology then take the nutrition course if you know it will focus on fat soluble vitamins, B vitamins, VITAMIN C, E, & A (super important for the eye ;)). Still, you gotta know your deficiencies, toxicities, ocular implications, and whatnot, so it might be worth your time. Heck, the only things undergrad inorganic chem has been good for are pH & pKa (and it didn't really help out that much!). Enjoy what you are taking though!!! :beat: Sorry for the ramble; I've got a final at 8am central time. It's gonna be a late night.

PS- There's nutrition stuff on this test, too!