Is NO3- polar or nonpolar?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diene

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it's polar? Does the negative charge have an impact of whether it's polar or not?

Does anyone have a good way or distinguishing polar and nonpolar when there are lone pairs involved? I know that where there is symmetry, the dipoles cancel each other, but it's hard for me to determine the symmetry when lone pairs are involved

Members don't see this ad.

NO3- is polar...I just think about it the way chad said for the solubility rules, NO3- are soluble in water and since water is polar and "like dissolves like" then NO3- is polar

Also to distinguish between polar and nonpolar for other compounds...when you have a compound that contains 2 different non-metals then its usually polar because there is a difference in their electronegativity

If it has a charge it is always polar.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Just draw it out.
You end up with two single-bonded O & one double-bonded O to N.
Although the structure is planar, dipole moment should be unequal since there's one double bond against two single bonds.
Not sure what "lone pairs" you're talking about. There should be no lone pair around Nitrogen atom.