This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RogueBanana

ヽ(´ー`)ノ
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm not sure if my volunteering experience is up to standard.

I was an volunteer intern at a rehab clinic for 30-40hrs per week last spring. It ended up around 600+ hours of medically related experience. I volunteered at this clinic in the past as an undergrad, and when I was required to take an internship I wanted to continue serving there. So probably ~80 hours of strict volunteering (as in I went in solely because I wanted to help) which I listed on my primary app.
Then ~600 hours of interning (it was an academic requirement but I was allowed to choose where I spent my time.) I could have chosen a hospital but the community of the clinic is dear to me and I wanted to continue serving them.

Shadowing: 200 hours, many meaningful experiences I wrote about in my PS and Secondaries.

Nonmedical volunteering:
Here's where it gets tricky, I was a founding member of a Greek Letter Organization and we implemented a 20 hour/semester philanthropy requirement. I filled this requirement in many ways, be it donating food or clothes, volunteering at charity fundraisers etc...

I grouped all that "odd job" volunteering into one work/activity post on my primary. In that post I spoke about my role founding and developing the org. It was more of a leadership experience post but I listed some of the charities we benefitted since it's impossible for me to tally hours and find a contact for every different small philanthropic event. I mentioned how much money we raise every year for cancer research as well. (Like 12k)

When asked about meaningful volunteer experiences on secondaries I spoke about one of those events volunteering for the organization.

Is this enough volunteering so that it will at least not act against me in the admissions process?

Some stats:

Non-trad
Non-URM
3.8 cGPA w/massive upward trend
3.85 sGPA
512 MCAT
Multiple pubs/co-author of clinical research.

Members don't see this ad.

You didn't get a response between 5am and 8 am and felt the need to bump?

But really what are you expecting out of this? I assume you're applying now and won't get any more hours, and if you're not how many hours do you expect to get?

It comes down to whether you can talk about your experiences in a way that makes it seem like you did it for reasons other than to check a box on an application

You didn't get a response between 5am and 8 am and felt the need to bump?

But really what are you expecting out of this? I assume you're applying now and won't get any more hours, and if you're not how many hours do you expect to get?

It comes down to whether you can talk about your experiences in a way that makes it seem like you did it for reasons other than to check a box on an application

I can speak on them for sure, I just wasn't sure if my app would be passed over when considering IIs since I don't have a specific work activity slot for non-clinical volunteering. I didn't volunteer just to check the box off. I just want a fair shot to explain that.